Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a winch mount for a hidden install. I found a company in Canada and they want almost $600 plus almost $200 in shipping. Being and Engineer, I designed my own. I have a friend who is a fabricator and he and I are working on a prototype. I will have some pics soon but was wondering if there is any interest in a hidden mount for ~$400? I am not making any money on this, I did it to get a mount but my friend will be doing all the work so he will make all the rest and sell them himself. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the mount. The main part is a steel "C" Channel (8" x 13.75#) with a reinforcing 2" x 2" x .375" Angle. The rectangular tubing is .25" wall with square tubing around the long bolts to give support to the fairlead. If anyone is interested, let me know. I have to budget for the winch, it might be a month or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is complete! Had to get a different fairlead that fit in the slot on the bumper but it came out great. I installed a 12,000 Smittybuilt X2O winch. It is water proof, has a synthetic line, and a wireless remote. I need to go out and get this thing stuck!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
By chance do you take a picture of it installed up in the truck (behind the bumper view)? Also are you (or your friend) still considering selling the mounts? If so I am interested.

Thanks,
-Kenny

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get pictures tomorrow and yes, my friends want to make them for others. Where are you located?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in the Seattle area. I am interested, I don't need the winch, but everything I find around here is either weak material stuff or I have to pay out the nose for it. I don't mind paying for quality workmanship but when they are gouging for a profit its not worth it.

Thanks,
-Kenny

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics of it installed. In the pic of it on the floor it is up side down. I didn't have to extend the power and ground cables, they reached the battery no problem. I am guessing the whole thing weighs over 100 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mount is now on two Rebels. Kenny got his a few weeks ago and mounted it with the same winch I got (Smittybuilt H20 12,000#). If anyone is interested, send me a message.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The guy that is building these is asking $400 plus shipping. He sends it UPS and it was $72 to Seattle (from Tampa). It is not powder coated but is painted with Rust-Oleum. He could send it bare and then you could have it powder coated.

I have not used my winch yet (other than to spool the rope onto it). I am not sure if Kenny has used his yet, he would have to comment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes I worked with Art on getting the setup, Ill let him talk to you about cost, he was easy to work with kept me updated with the status of things. So far I love the setup, I have used the winch to yank a neighbors Rav4 out of a ditch after they slid into it from the snowpocolapse here in the Seattle area.

Install was fairly easy, though I decided to install it in between snow storms so working out in the cold sucked but got it done. I need to come back and adjust the bumper so its sits even but that will happen once it warms back up.

-Kenny

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will check with the guy that builds them. I am sure he would still build it but not sure how busy he is. Getting the bumper off is easy. I have a Word document I put together with instructions. Where are you located?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts