Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd throw this question out there. I admit I only did a quick search, but I am interested in the response.

For years, trucks to me were either workhorses or they were impractical for regular hauling (you know, 80's Toyotas or Comanchees), but fun to lift and go wheelin' in.

Personally, my wife and I were talking about how impractical our Wrangler was for hauling the kids, dog, various hobby items (RC's, camera equipment, etc.), and for towing anything worthwhile. We discussed SUVs, such as the Durango or the Jeep Grand Cherokee (I've had two of those and wasn't really interested in another.) A small part of me thought about the Raptor as well. The SUVs lost out because they just didn't have the feeling I was looking for. They just all seemed too sedate for me--I didn't test drive the SRT, but that was out of my price range. The Raptor lost out because, well, it is pretty pricey here for an outgoing model. And I wanted a V8.

So we picked it up because:

1. We need to haul my family around in a bit more comfort, with the bed for storing crap.
2. I can now tow my other rigs and worry less about figuring out how to limp them home when I break them.
3. I can buy furniture, axles, motors, etc. and not have to go rent a truck. Especially U-Haul. I'd be happy if I didn't ever have to rent one of their vehicles again. Trailers, maybe.
4. It's got a Hemi. I'm a Mopar guy, so as much as the Raptor appealed to me, there's too much unknown for me with the incoming model, and the old one is super marked up in my area.

Anyway, why did you buy yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Price and Design

New guy here,

Just brought my new 2016 Rebel V6 Silver on Black on Jan 2, fully loaded minus storage boxes in bed.

Wanted a used Raptor originally. But I'm not really in to off-roading, but will have plenty of rugged terrain to drive over, here in the desert highlands of WA State. I loved the look of a Raptor, used to park next to one some days when I was in using a parking garage a few years back and fell in love with the truck's looks.

Price, gas mileage, and just a sick looking truck were what sold me. Also got the V6 for fuel economy. Never plan on hauling much besides a small boat or a U-haul. Just wanted the functionality of a truck after having an SUV for about 12 years or so.

Sticker was $52k+ and got it for about $46.5K. Love the UConnect too. Nice to start the truck 15 minutes before work after a snow storm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Fantastic question!

First and foremost, it's look hit me like a sledge hammer. I wasn't really even in the market for a brand-new full size truck. But it was only 2 weeks between the first time I saw one and then owned one!

1 - My Dakota was a 2002, mind you it only had 80,000 miles on it and not a spot of rust either. But sadly it was only a club cab and I have 2 kids that are getting older by the second. So, reason one, interior cabin room. The Rebel fits 2 child car seats and an adult passenger in the back. Boom.

2 - I am also a Mopar for lifer. I too was tempted by the "cough" Raptor. And yes, I turned and ran when I heard about the V6 twin blah-blah-blah. I ran right back home, to that big'ol beautiful Hemi. Reason two, Hemi reliability.

3 - The Deal. I'm a Canadian customer and sticker on my truck as optioned was $63,000 and change. I got it for under $46,000 through a commercial deal through the help of my employer. The paper almost lit on fire, I signed so fast. Reason three, value.

That's all I gotta say about that. Lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was in a 2015 Ram 1500 V8 3.21 Sport prior. Yes, a 2015.

It all started when we bought a camper to pull behind our Grand Cherokee V6 2 years ago. Dealers all said "No problem! to the weight. But, I didn't enjoy it and decided to buy a truck. Loved the Sport, but I missed the air suspension from the GC and wanted LT tires for towing. And that 3.21 vs 3.92 debate was constantly in my head.

Then, the Rebel came out 8 months later. Bilsteins, air suspension (with lift), bigger LT tires, rubber floor mats, 3.92 gears, and looks awesome...! A real, lifted, off-road truck that will actually tow, and perform on-road too? Hmmm... Since I was inquiring about adding air suspension to my sport, I figured I'd look into it, while weighing the cost of the things I wanted to add into the equation.

2 dealers were way off. A 3rd went and got one for me thinking I was buying it immediately. But when I drove it and realized Keyless Enter-n-go, Auto 4x4, and Auto Climate Control were missing, I said "No thanks". But he just kept coming down in price for about 2 months until ultimately I threw out a number that I figured he wouldn't take... but did. So, why not!

I do kick myself a little for not waiting few more months to see what the 2016s offered (since they now have Keyless and Auto Climate Controls), but it is what it is.

·
Registered
660 Posts
caution: long-winded story :)

I've had Jeeps for years, but switched to Dodge trucks more recently for hauling purposes. My old one was rusting out, a 2000. I don't tend to put a lot of mileage on them on the average, maybe 5k/yr. Usually they've been second vehicles for me, or 3rd vehicles for the wife and me. I always get 4wd and a V8 for towing as needed. Usually use them on lots of short runs over the year, seldom on long trips. 4WD especially because we tend to get snowed in in winter time, but also for offroad fishing and projects. Always take good care of them. I found the last one was rusting out from the inside of the doors, rocker panels, etc. Had to replace the whole left front fender to take care of a small paint bubble that turned out to be 10% of the panel gone, and the other front fender was showing a similar bubble just a few months later. So much salt used here in northern IL.

Always hunted carefully, bought older models on the cheap, kept them 4-5 yrs, and sold them again, private sales. Last one I got was 9 yrs old, got it for $8k, sold it for $2k at 15 yrs old, but put about $8k into repairs in the last 5 yrs. That's about normal, figure you buy it at about 10 yrs old, and you lose about $1-2k/yr in depreciation, plus repairs and maintenance of about $1-2k/yr. But I always paid cash and had no monthly payments. So I expected to see $10-15k loss on anything I bought, minimum range.

I retired 2 yrs ago, and my wife sold her sports car and commandeered my car because it was a better driver/commute vehicle. She's still working. Being retired, I still didn't put a lot of miles on my truck. But it was now my only vehicle, and when it was in the shop, I was in a loaner or else....

So hunting in this area for replacements, avg price for the options I wanted and with low to reasonable mileage was around $30k. I couldn't get my head around paying that much for a 10 yr old truck. I started looking at 5 yr old models I wanted, and prices were up to $40k. Most didn't have existing warranties. And the newer trucks had way more expensive computers in them, and other high-repair-cost components, so repairs could go much higher than in the past.

Then I noticed the $10k in rebates on the fall 2015 Rams. I did the numbers: $40k after rebates on one I found with options I wanted, MSRP at $50k, swapped $3k of rebate for 0% financing for 5 yrs, left my cash in the bank. Wife insisted on extended warranty, so it's 10/100k for another $2.5k. I'll put very low miles on it, keep it nearly pure stock, and in 5 years it will still be worth about what I paid for it, while my maintenance costs are minimal.

I looked around a bit on the local lots, but the model that particularly caught my eye was the Power Wagon, which was just way more truck than I really need. And I got online on the Ram site to see what else might be around, and ran across the Rebel. None of the local lots had one of them. And the Rebel was fine looking. And underneath the trim, it was a solid Ram truck. Nothing better than buying a limited model for resale purposes. I just had to drive 70 miles to a dealership that had one on the lot with the Hemi and without Rambox.

So mine will get the normal treatment. Good care, occasional hard work, and excursions to offroad fishing spots and hiking/camping places.

167 Posts
For me it kind of happened by accident. I had a 2014 F150 and decided to get a better looking truck with up to date technology. I liked the looks of the Ram and went to a lot to look at the 1500 Sport model. It turned out the dealer didn't have any, but he asked if I was familiar with the Rebel. Of course there were none on the lot, but the salesman had just bought one and said he would show me his. Long story short, he let me drive his truck and I was hooked. A week later, I had the dealer do a search and my truck was located about an hour away. It happened to have all of the options I wanted (sans rear window defogger) and was the right color. We worked out the deal and the rest is history. What a terrific truck!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why did I buy a Rebel?

Because the wife said no to a Challenger SRT 392. Had the car picked out, deal was done. She said the car wasn't "practical" for our family. So, I spent the same amount of money give or take a few dollars, and bought a Rebel. Within 2 days of her using the "P" word, I found out about the Rebel and made my move.

Ironic, but yes I felt Rebellious!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you asked I'll throw in my 2 bits.

Before I bought my '13 Sport I decided to give the other guys a shot. I test drove the F-150, F-250, Silverado, and Tundra. The only one that came close to Ram in handling and acceleration was, IMHO, the Tundra TRD. The Toyota wasn't even close on interior finish and convenience technology so it was out. After trying all those vehicles, all you have to do is start a Ram and hear the Hemi fire up and its all over.

This time I was doing the research online and about to make the dealership rounds when I came across this Rebel option on the Ram site, what the **** is that? I hadn't seen one on the road so it was a great surprise, I had to see one. Did the search and Bingo, a black one 15 miles away.

Pics are fine but in person its even angrier looking than my Sport was. Had to have it. I kind of miss the auto wipers and high beams but I wasn't going to pass on it for those features as it has everything else, even rubber floor mats. Get a lot of heads turning as I'm sure you all do too, Great Truck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I wasn't thinking of buying a new truck as I was still enjoying my 2005 Avalanche that I bought new. I saw my first REBEL on Dec 27 in a Lowes parking lot. NICE !!! An hour later I was downtown at the NHL Hometown Hockey set-up they had here and boom... there was a REBEL on display as it's partly sponsored by Dodge. I got to check it out up close and get in. Very comfy!! Still, I wasn't ready to buy. Had plenty of stuff on the go and forgot all about it.
On Dec 30th while I was having my morning coffee, the memory of the REBEL came back to me so I jumped on the computer to see some reviews. An hour later I was at the dealership going for a test drive and I loved it. Still, I wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I had to go pick up my wife from Toronto and they said, why don't you take the REBEL? Smart move hehe!! I got back 3 hours later and worked out the best deal ever and I picked her up today !!! I bought a 2016 Black on Black with 0% financing with a $62,200 sticker price and I got it for $44,000 and they threw in a toneau cover and Linux bed liner too. Note to self (and everyone else), best time to buy is the last day of the year !!! Thanks Durham Dodge !!
Lookin forward to some mods and I'll be sure to post plenty of pic's !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts