Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This guy!

I was getting tired of the stock antenna as I felt it looked tacky and was too long. I was going to lay down some $ on a stubby but figured I would try to modify this one first. Super easy mod and I think it turned out great. I haven't noticed any difference in reception. I only listen to xm anyways.

Removed antenna
Pulled off the ball on the end
Cut down to desired length
Refit ball to the end
Pained and reinstalled

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
To each their own. I simply painted mine to match better. Antennas are perfect for understanding if your truck height fits.....much the same way as mirrors are perfect for knowing if your width fits between those trees (as long as you know how to drive straight) ;)

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To each their own. I simply painted mine to match better. Antennas are perfect for understanding if your truck height fits.....much the same way as mirrors are perfect for knowing if your width fits between those trees (as long as you know how to drive straight) ;)
Yeah, I thought about that. I plan on getting a roof rack anyways so the stock antenna wouldn't be long enough to be a height feeler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought those antenna only helped with AM reception, but i'm not certain. If that's the case, you probably won't notice any loss in reception. That's a great hack for shortening it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Keep in mind that with a shorter the antenna you will loose radio reception range. I am a firm believer that the bigger the antenna is, the better your range will be. But being a ham operator, bigger is always better. >:)

Reactions: Sno Fyter

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind that with a shorter the antenna you will loose radio reception range. I am a firm believer that the bigger the antenna is, the better your range will be. But being a ham operator, bigger is always better. >:)
As am I. But, for how I use it, it'll work! It looks a heck of a lot better now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Antenna length is designed specifically for a frequency wavelength, or ratio thereof. You would be better off cutting it in half to preserve some of the reception capability. I went with a rubber stubby but don't listen to terrestrial radio anyway; just for looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts