Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue: I was almost empty and did my first fill up. It only took 22 gals. I thought it was odd, so I checked the computer. It said 318mi til empty. At 12 MPG. That calcs to 26 gals. My window sticker as well as the sticker on the back of the fuel tank both show 32 gal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue: I was almost empty and did my first fill up. It only took 22 gals. I thought it was odd, so I checked the computer. It said 318mi til empty. At 12 MPG. That calcs to 26 gals. My window sticker as well as the sticker on the back of the fuel tank both show 32 gal.
Maybe it doesn't have the bigger tank installed? That was an upgrade, so maybe they owe you a new gas tank!

·
Registered
660 Posts
It probably has it if it's on the sticker, but it's worth checking. Other guys have noticed the same problem in the past. Probably something to do with the computer calculating levels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming that it is a computer calculation issue. I'm going to run it down to near empty and see what it takes to fill. I've only filled it up the one time and the mileage hadn't quite stabilized out yet. We'll see. I just wish I could drive it more. Workin' too dang much. Down to a quarter tank now. Maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've heard the assurances too, but still have my doubts. I bought my specific truck, in part, because it came with the 32 gallon tank. First fill up I noticed that I was between 1/4 and 1/8 and only got 22 gallons in it. Simple math says that if the needle was accurate, I had consumed less than 70% of the tank. With the needle where it was, I should have been able to put 26-28 gallons in it. The math doesn't work out.

If my truck actually had the 28 gallon tank, the math would have worked out. So either I have a gas gauge that is very heavy on the bottom (tons of reserve), or I have the wrong tank.

On top of that, last week I was on a blast to cover many miles on a trip before stopping. Drove the truck until it said I was within 30 miles of walking. Only got 26.5 gallons in it when I got the jitters and filled up.

I'm going to crawl under there and see if I can get a P/N off of the tank.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you really want to find out the useable size of your tank. Take a full 5 gallon can of gas with you , and drive the truck until you run out of gas. Then put the 5 gallons in, and drive to the gas station fill it up to see how much it holds. If you have a 32 gallon tank, and it only takes 25 gallons to fill it up, you only have a 25 gallon useable tank.
Of do like I do, when it is down to 1/4, fill it up. >:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you ever tried to hold up a full 5G gas can while the "new, improved, more safe" self-venting can pours 3.75 gallons of gas in the tank and the other 1.25 down the side of the truck?

Can't I just stay here and complain about the possibility? :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you ever tried to hold up a full 5G gas can while the "new, improved, more safe" self-venting can pours 3.75 gallons of gas in the tank and the other 1.25 down the side of the truck?

Can't I just stay here and complain about the possibility? :D
I've used those asinine CARB approved rejects before. Get a self-priming siphon hose instead.

Reactions: jimbolo

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've heard the assurances too, but still have my doubts. I bought my specific truck, in part, because it came with the 32 gallon tank. First fill up I noticed that I was between 1/4 and 1/8 and only got 22 gallons in it. Simple math says that if the needle was accurate, I had consumed less than 70% of the tank. With the needle where it was, I should have been able to put 26-28 gallons in it. The math doesn't work out.

If my truck actually had the 28 gallon tank, the math would have worked out. So either I have a gas gauge that is very heavy on the bottom (tons of reserve), or I have the wrong tank.

On top of that, last week I was on a blast to cover many miles on a trip before stopping. Drove the truck until it said I was within 30 miles of walking. Only got 26.5 gallons in it when I got the jitters and filled up.

I'm going to crawl under there and see if I can get a P/N off of the tank.

The part number should be very easy to get/read. I was painting my exhaust tips and say the stickers on the rear end/rear side of the fuel tank.

On a side note, who wants to be ballsie enough throw a 5 gallon jug of fuel in their truck bead and then run their truck until they run out of fuel completely. This will be another alternative to check the fuel tank size.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The part number should be very easy to get/read. I was painting my exhaust tips and say the stickers on the rear end/rear side of the fuel tank.

On a side note, who wants to be ballsie enough throw a 5 gallon jug of fuel in their truck bead and then run their truck until they run out of fuel completely. This will be another alternative to check the fuel tank size.
Just saying that this is a sure fire way to answer the question on the tanks capacity if someone really wants to know. My old plastic gas cans will pour five gallons real easy when I open the vent cap on the top. I guess only having 2 gallons in the can will be 21 pounds lighter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think John J nailed it. I filled up the other day and took 25.5 gallons. The computer showed 40 mi until empty. With a hand calculated 11.4 mpg, that would mean a 29 gallon tank. I know I drove my 2005 Cummins several mile with the computer reading 0 until empty. There must be a few gallons left when the computer says 0. Probably to save a lot of us from ourselves. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts