Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, longtime reader. I'm looking at joining the Rebel family and am looking at engine options. My requirements include no need for towing so I'd rather enjoy the mpg benefits of the V6. I'm wondering whether the V6 is adequate for off roading in steep terrain at elevation. A spec comparison of the V6 Rebel to the 4Runner and Tacoma indicates that the V6 has comparable specs but with a heavier vehicle/bigger tires/load in the truck...a V8 is most likely a necessity.

Has anyone tested their V6 off road under these conditions and how did it perform? I assume the 2019 will be slightly better with the weight reduction and hybrid torque setup. Thanks to all who opine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure what the real world benefits of the V6 over the Hemi are. Not too many threads comparing them, I did find one guy with the V6 and his highway mileage was only slightly better than my truck. Did they bring back the V6 option in the '19 Rebels? Doesn't the Hybrid option add about 200 lbs. to the truck and is that available on the V6 thought it was a V8 option? I test drove a 1500 with the V6 locally and it was OK but where we live is very flat so I don't know how it would go on the beach etc., we have no mountains nearby.

·
Registered
451 Posts
2019 eTorque equiped Rebel is about the same weight as the 2018.

I personally wouldn't put a V6 in any truck bigger than a Tacoma. But each to their own.

I would go with the Hemi and have a fun! Wait... I did and I do!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the other downside to the V6 might be that expected fuel economy won't be impressive in the real world. With say 400lb weight in the bed, the V6 may actually do no better than the V8. But of course, I haven't tested this - only heard guys with V6's claim that their trucks turn into gas hogs when they weigh them down even with just a small load.

All that said, modern V6's are getting close to the power of the V8's of old. It's shocking and disappointing to me that the automotive press doesn't push these V6's to see what they're actually capable of. As a result, guys like me are left with more questions than answers. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The V6 should do fine if its just a highway truck with the occasional off road or hauler. You will notice lack of torque in off road conditions and requiring more throttle to do what the Hemi would with less throttle. At the end of the day yes you will see better freeway MPG (not much, but better), but everywhere else it will be equal or most of the time struggling to equal what the Hemi can do.

Good luck on making your decision. Post photos once you pick one up!

-Kenny

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are set on a V6 I think I would pass on a Rebel and get a Tacoma or some other mid size. The GMC/Chevy midsize is getting pretty popular in my area too.

Anyone have an idea when the midsize Ram is coming out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts