Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Rebel Mojave Sand since Feb 2017, and the stock 285/70 were OK enough that I didn't swap them out right away, and apart from some N-FAB Rkr rails and outfitting it with all the necessary recovery gear, I haven't done much to it besides drive it a lot. Now I'm at 40,000 miles, and although I have a little tread life left, it's close enough that it's time to get new kicks, and do the rest of the stuff that I probably should have done already.

I'm looking at Toyo Open Country MT in either 285/75R17 or 315/70R17. My local tire shop has great Toyo prices.

I have a set of adjustable links coming, and I've read the "sweet spot" threads and every thread on tire size upgrades that I've found here and elsewhere, but what has me wondering is that on the stock Toyo OC ATII, I've only got 5/8" clearance between the inner sidewall and the upper steering arm.

The Toyo site has the stock ATII 285/70's at 11.5" wide and 32.8" high. The 315/70 MT are listed at 12.7" and 34.6". If I split the difference there, that's theoretically another .6" on that inner side.

That's really close for comfort on the steering arm clearance...has anyone that's running 315/70 or 35x12.5 tires on the stock wheels had any issues with upper steering arm clearance? Has anyone running them aired down tires for traction and still not had issues with it rubbing there?

I'd really prefer to run the 315/70's but if it creates a situation where an underinflated tire might cost me a cut inner sidewall, I'd rather be running the skinny/tall 285/75's at 34.1" x 11.6", and I'm not enthused about the idea of 1/4" wheel spacers or new wheels in case I have issues with rubbing.

I know I have clearance everywhere else for the 315's with a properly adjusted set of links, but the steering arm has me concerned. Can anyone confirm how much clearance when aired down or how close it is in general with stock wheels and a 12.7" tire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone with any brand of 315/70R17 on stock wheels say how much clearance they have from the upper steering arm when normally inflated?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just recently joined the Ram Rebel Owner Club on Facebook, and I have seen several posts of people recently changing to 315/70/R17 tires with no issues. I am planning on doing it myself but haven't gotten there my self hard to replace decent tires for no real reason.

Sorry I cant give you exact measurements but from what I have read and pictures I have seen there should be any problems. The one place you will have an issue is your speedo reading wrong if you don't have a tuner to adjust your tire size, you may have to go into the dealer to have that adjusted.

Good luck,
-Kenny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I've seen tons of people do the 315/70, and it appears that it's only ever an issue with some of the Nittos and the like that are 13.2" wide rather than 12.7", but, man...it's close already, and I'm not sure what a little sidewall deflection will do if aired down. I'm assuming someone would have encountered trouble with this if it was actually a concern. I take my truck into some silly places, and I'm sure I'll find out relatively soon if there are issues with rubbing in relatively full articulation as well as with the pressures down.

Bottom line...after standing there staring at it in the parking lot of the tire place with the owner...I ordered the Toyo OC MT tires in 315/70R17 this morning, and I'll have them on by the end of the week. I have a couple 1/4" universal spacers that I'll use temporarily if it actually rubs, and get a set of 5 or 6mm hub centric/wheel centric spacers made for the long term if it's too close for comfort. I ALMOST went 285/75R17. My fuel mileage will probably wish I'd gone that way, but I know I'll be happier with the 315's in general.

I'll post my control arm clearances when they're on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, 315/70R17 Toyo Open Country MT went on and the relatively aggressive side tire lugs rubbed on the upper control arms, as I feared. Just barely, but they were rubbing. It hits at the lug area, so unlikely to actually cause a flat, but rubbing nonetheless.

I had grabbed a pair of Rough Country 1/4" spacers just in case they did rub, so I had to put those on. I've got almost 1/4" clearance with the spacers, so they must juuuuust barely be touching. Torqued them, went for a quick ride to make sure nothing seemed out of balance, retorqued them. I'll keep a torque wrench with me and keep an eye on them until i can order some motorsport tech hub-centric ones, probably 4mm or 5mm. I have 10 full threads of engagement with the stock length lugs and 1/4 spacers, so I should be good.

I really didn't want to run spacers, but here I am.

With standard suspension heights, there is no rubbing anywhere in normal or aero, at least without inducing some suspension articulation. Tire size is updated with a superchips flashcal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very nice to hear you were able to get it working, sucks have to run spacers. I'm not going that aggressive for tires, I'm going to run BFG KO2's.

Can you post a pic or two?

-Kenny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's slightly more tire drone than the toyo ATs, of course, but it's not bad at all. Almost have to listen for it. The Carven exhaust sitting in my garage should cover that up pretty well.

Talked to Motorsport Tech, and they are making me a set of 10mm hub-centric and wheel-centric spacers that exactly duplicate the factory hub protrusion so I won't have any side loads on the lugs at all, and I'll still have 8 threads of lugnut engagement. They said this is a relatively common problem on Rams, and these are a common item for them, and I'll end up with less lug stress than if I did a set of 4mm hub centrics. Shouldn't cause any other clearance problems as I still have some room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man that looks good! If you don't mind, maybe you can share the details on the spacers from Motorsport Tech so I can order similar when I do mine. Since I DD the truck with the occasional playing off road, I want it to be safe as possible.

Thanks alot!
-Kenny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure thing.

Custom Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech

There's an online ordering form, but it's easier just to call. They know exactly what you need to be both wheel and hub centric with our trucks. $140 plus shipping for a set of 4. The inside of the spacer fits the wheel hub perfectly, and then it duplicates the factory hub ring geometry to center the wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts