Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

At CES Chrysler just announced that the fourth-generation of Uconnect will add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality.

Only problem is, FCA isn't saying where or when we might see a widespread rollout besides a conservative “in select models during 2016.”

They also haven't mentioned if the software can reach back to Uconnect 3.0 units.

That wasn't the only Uconnect relevant announcement today either. The company also saying the new system will offer capacitive touchscreens, better performing touchscreen responsiveness, and higher screen resolution and brightness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told by Uconnect that the 2015 Ram Rebels will NOT be able to upgrade as this will be noncompatible. It will require a NEW Radio.. That really upsets me to spend $50k on a vehicle that already cannot upgrade simple stuff like this. May need to rethink my next purchase of vehicles this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got off the phone with a Uconnect rep and she confined that only the 2016 models that are manufactured later this year will have CarPlay. It is only compatible with Uconnect 4.0 radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am confused. I am picking up my new 2016 Rebel, and am having the dealer turn NAV on, it is a 8.4. Are you saying this will only be available to the Radios that have NAV and HD Radio from the factory?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You have to remember, FCA has no interested in providing new features to vehicles already purchased. Even if they COULD enable it, don't count on it.

In Canada, not only do they not include UConnect Access, they REMOVE the 4G radio AND WiFi radio. That means we don't get uconnect access, and even though they say it is coming to Canada, it will require you buy a new vehicle to get it. You also can't tether your radio to your cell phone for things like spotify...

It is what it is, I will likely just stream bluetooth from my phone...

If they happen to enable it on the existing radios, it would be quite the welcome surprise.. but not holding my breath.. still a pretty nice truck..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would figure that with radio is like a mini computer and it could be easily updated. From what the rep told me the radio has 2 gig's of memory and they need 4.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does mean that my 2016 4.0 radio that I got in Feb can not upgraded?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn and a 1500 Rebel two weeks apart (His & Hers). Both came with the UConnect 8.4 and the dealer (Larry Miller of Avondale, AZ) had no clue about CarPlay. They were completely clueless. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spent so much cash on my rebel, wish they made the user interface more intuitive and the upgrades accessible and more often

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is only one reason the existing 3.0 system could not be upgraded

Corporate Greed. Nearly every cell phone out there has the ability to upgrade several years into software updates. The updates on cell phones are free because the marketplace has a set this as precedence. Old school of thought automobile manufacturers see built in obsolescence as a financial opportunity and never take into consideration the value of retaining customers.

A very short sighted business model that has lead to repeated fiscal troubles of the big automakers over the years.

I love my Ram Rebel and have installed the latest firmware update on the Uconnect 3.0 which provides a better SIRI interface. I was hoping that the release of Apple Car play would be an upgradeable option, unfortunately old school business models and greed appear to not allow that to happen.

I hope some day there'll be a US Automotive company that will put some value in retaining existing customers instead of short sighted monthly sales figures.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Remember not to confuse Ram/FCA with Harman International. (used to be Harmon Kardon, but that name is only used for audio equipment, now)

Harman is the company that supplies car audio equipment to most of the industry.

This "system" is composed of more than just the radio. Speakers and one amp are from Alpine. Hamon provides the computer, radio, and some controls. GPS is from Garmin. The rest is provided by Uconnect, along with some integration. The big difference here is that the system is provided by a lot of different companies. It's not the same as a single smartphone, where chips were supplied to the smartphone manufacturer who puts them together and writes/controls all the software. In this case, each component is made by different companies. The car radio is not made by UConnect, it's just intregrated with control software. Upgrades come from Harman. Doesn't mean it's not possible to do things, but each company is developing its own component and upgrades, on its own schedule. There is no single company doing it all. Uconnect partners with them, and with Ram. The various components have years of upgrades to them, but getting them all on a single cycle is the real issue.

So far, Uconnect software updates are free. But if you're going to add new features like GPS, that's a different story. Smartphones are currently the only commercial industry where new features are "free" and that's because they're not, really. Each new feature on a smartphone leads to more use of the phone, increased data plan use/size, increased advertising, increased data collection on customers, or another profit to the company providing the app/feature. In every other industry, adding a feature costs up-front money. You don't get bigger tires or fancier wheels for free. Cell phones are more insidious.

As far as built-in-obsolescence, that's actually a planned feature in the cell phone world, too. Cell phone contracts last only a couple of years. There are perhaps 100-150 different cell phone manufacturers around the world today. Most cellular phones made have no software upgrade options. Many of them were designed for single versions of their os, and upgrades can brick them, or make them so slow as to be unusable. And let's not forget there are still nearly 50 models of non-smart cellphones. The cell phones people buy in the US are mostly on carrier contracts through Verizon, ATT, or similar provider. People get those phones, swap them out as soon as the contract is done for a new "free" phone. That's a planned obsolescence to get new phones sold on more expensive data contracts and guarantee longer service. In the big picture, it's no different from vehicles.

As for the folks in Canada, so sorry. Uconnect isn't available in Canada because it's not compatible with Canadian cellular infrastructure. Plus, there are some other issues, apparently. Here's the UConnect official statement:

NOTE for CANADA: Uconnect Access is not available in Canada nor can it be added at a future point in time. There is no definitive date when Uconnect Access services will be available in Canada. Numerous obstacles currently prevent the Canadian launch of Uconnect Access including availability of the underlying cellular technology in Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still no ANDROID AUTO

Old thread, I know but I figured I'd let you know that I have 2017 w/ Uconnect 8.4 and guess what: Still no support for Android auto. This is really disappointing on a vehicle at this price point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts