Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I'm guilty...

The latest results in a U.S. government survey show that pickup truck owners are less likely to buckle up than people driving other types of vehicles.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) released the results of its 2014 National Occupant Protection Use Survey (NOPUS) this month. According to the survey, which relies on data recorded by trained observers watching drivers, 89 percent of people driving vans and utility vehicles wear seat belts, while 88 percent of people in cars buckle up. Meanwhile, 77 percent of pickup truck drivers strap in.
Pickup Truck Owners Least Likely to Buckle Up » AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
462 Posts
coming from having owned just cars for a while, I developed the habit of wearing a seat belt, especially as most of what I had were compacts... no need to explain further about those. So that's something I naturally carried over to trucks i've owned :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
My mom got pulled over for not wearing her seatbelt when I was quite young. Ever since then I always wear my seat belt. It is so easy to do, I don't understand why you wouldn't.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coming from having owned just cars for a while, I developed the habit of wearing a seat belt, especially as most of what I had were compacts... no need to explain further about those. So that's something I naturally carried over to trucks i've owned :D
Indeed, its been a theory of mine for a while that the most religious observers of safety are those in the compacts... And they should be cramming themselves into these tiny metal shoe boxes...

I don't know, I don't do it on purpose, I just kind of hop in and go... If I notice ill do the buckle usually... but most time I dont...

you just feel so secure up there ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
There is a difference in the safety between a big truck and a small car, but I think the sense of security that you feel in your truck is partly a false sense of security. You can still get into bad accidents in a truck. Never know what is going to happen. You can't control the other people on the road.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There is a difference in the safety between a big truck and a small car, but I think the sense of security that you feel in your truck is partly a false sense of security. You can still get into bad accidents in a truck. Never know what is going to happen. You can't control the other people on the road.
Of course you can, no changing that with truck guys

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, but again, if I'm going to crash wouldn't you rather crash with the biggest possible cushion around you as possible?

Its not a false sense of security in the slightest. Might is right, I'm bigger you're smaller, you'll hurt more then I will...

·
Registered
462 Posts
The size of SUV's and Trucks and the added protection of that is a motivator for some to buy them when they actually don't need all of what comes with a vehicle like that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You don't say!! As others have said its not false, you have a LEGITIMATE size advantage which translates into a LEGITIMATE safety advantage.

Remember the article isn't 'pickup truck owners have no need to wear seatbelts' people are making conscious choices, you're not against that now are you?

·
Registered
510 Posts
You don't say!! As others have said its not false, you have a LEGITIMATE size advantage which translates into a LEGITIMATE safety advantage.

Remember the article isn't 'pickup truck owners have no need to wear seatbelts' people are making conscious choices, you're not against that now are you?
I'm not arguing that there isn't more security in a truck, I am arguing that people perhaps over estimate that sense of security, and some may even feel an absolute sense of security. Circumstances play a huge part in crashes. If a big truck hits a big truck that size advantage doesn't help you as much. If you end up having the truck roll over, the seatbelt is far more important to your safety than the size of your car.

I don't really think people should be able to choose whether or not to wear their seatbelt. Its not a felony, but people should be fined to make sure they do it. The amount of time it takes o put on your seatbelt is so small for the huge benefit it provides. I think of it the same as wearing a helmet when on a bike or motorcycle.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not arguing that there isn't more security in a truck, I am arguing that people perhaps over estimate that sense of security, and some may even feel an absolute sense of security. Circumstances play a huge part in crashes. If a big truck hits a big truck that size advantage doesn't help you as much. If you end up having the truck roll over, the seatbelt is far more important to your safety than the size of your car.

I don't really think people should be able to choose whether or not to wear their seatbelt. Its not a felony, but people should be fined to make sure they do it. The amount of time it takes o put on your seatbelt is so small for the huge benefit it provides. I think of it the same as wearing a helmet when on a bike or motorcycle.
and how do you expect the industry to go about not giving people the choice to wear a seat belt?
police already enforce seat belt laws, thats been happening for decades now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
and how do you expect the industry to go about not giving people the choice to wear a seat belt?
police already enforce seat belt laws, thats been happening for decades now.
I am not expecting anything to change to further enforce seatbelt laws. I think the current laws are enough. If anything should be done, maybe there should be a public awareness campaign, but no more penalties. The other thing they could do is make those annoying seatbelt reminders even more annoying.

·
Registered
555 Posts
there's nothing more that can be done aside from the constant reminders from local media and police force

importance of seat belts is well known;

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yet still people choose not to wear them. I guess its their own stupid fault if they die in an accident because they weren't wearing one.
that it is
not the smartest thing for someone to do but it happens, all too often.
fortunately though, in a truck you're better off, but that still doesn't make the approach any better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts