Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a slew of issues with this truck since I bought it back in July.
The most recent is I get a high rev pulling out of my garage in the morning with it finally kicking into gear. Then I get rough shift points in random gears. I've taken it in and they re-flashed the CPU and this has only made it worse. Now I have the same issues as mentioned earlier plus now when I'm coming to a stop it shifts into 1st pretty rough. So back into the dealer it goes.

Other issues since the day it pulled off the lot. Dent in the front dash, rear driver side fender trim coming off, random floating seat bolt under back seat compartment, Front driver side window rolls down rough and not smooth, excessive wind noise at freeway speeds (tested with mirrors in the in position too) stereo system speakers rattle at medium volume with bass at the mid level, and most recently a loud clunk noise while making a u-turn. Ans no I'm not rough on this truck. Haven't even been off-road yet. Just a daily driver to and from work.

So far this has been the biggest pile I've ever owned.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The speaker issue sounds like a blown speaker. Saw a lot of these years ago when I repaired audio equipment. Usually was a case of having overdriven the speaker and it ripped the voice coils off the cone, or tore the cone loose from the foam surrounds. It used to be a common problem because new owners would crank the equipment up to see how loud it would get, driving it past the amp's max voltage output, causing clipping. Clipping results in very bad things for speakers that aren't worth going into here. Bass speakers tended to be the first ones destroyed, and that was usually easy to tell with the same symptoms you have. Usually the amp survives, although not always. The rattle indicates to me that the amp is fine but at least one speaker is lost.

I used to tell new owners never to crank their equipment up past the halfway mark on their dial. A lot of the consumer audio equipment isn't designed to go higher than that with most music.

Not saying that's what you did. That's just the way speakers mostly tend to go bad.

How did you get a dent in the dash? That's a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info on that but that's not the case. I've been in the AV business for about 20 years and I'm very familiar with blown speakers. This is definitely a rattle in the door or a speaker that wasn't tightened down properly. I'm not your drive it to 11 volume kind of guy when it comes to stock stereos. This whole truck feels like it's been built on a Friday before a 3 day weekend.

The dent in the dash I didn't notice when I took delivery but noticed it a day later. They "fixed" it with an upholstery guy but you can tell that there is a slight color discoloration.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ah, sorry, but you said "stereo system speakers rattle" in the op. Your second post is a bit more clear.

The dent is really odd. Sounds like someone smacked the crap out of it before you got it. How many miles were on it when you picked it up? Maybe the dealer or an employee was screwing around with it?

Too many loose screws to satisfy, that's for sure. I had a Ford once that I swore came off the line during the Monday morning hangover time. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It had 53 miles on it. I'm about positive the owner or someone there had driven it a few times. It also had alignment issues the first week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
3 of my fender flares were peeling off before I bought it. 12 miles on it, but probably 4 months sitting on the lot. They're only held on with double sided tape. I'm already researching alternatives for when the warranty expires. I'll have them replaced just prior to the warranty expiration, if need be. I don't see them hanging tight for 3 years since they didn't make it 6 months on the lot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The strange late shift from 1st to 2nd gear is sounding normal, not only for our trucks but MOST vehicles equipment with the 8spd transmission.

Beyond that, I'm thinking your truck was made on a drinking holiday. Maybe St. Paddy's???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the down shift from 2nd to 1st that kicks. it's pretty harsh too, whole truck jumps forwards. Wasn't like that before they re-flashed the CPU to try to correct the original transmission issues. It's back in the for service today so I'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the over rev in first too. It's always on the first shift from 1st to second when starting the truck up. Going to a stop sign, and not pausing for 1 second, causes the truck to shift from second to first when accelerating and that's incredibly annoying. How many people actually stop and wait at stop signs? My drivers side window is rough too, it kinda hops a bit, when all others are smooth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it back last Thursday. They fixed the driver side window. Said it was a plastic piece that needed replacing. It's a lot better now.

Told me they found no error being reported by the CPU in regards to the transmission but it took them 3 attempts to re-flash it cause it kept failing and maybe the last tech didn't notice it and just let it go the last time it was in. When I left it was shifting smoothly and seemed better. The next morning though when I first left the house the rev was high and there is still a bit of rough shifting back into 1st.
I'm thinking they are using a transmission fluid that is sitting heavy and takes a bit to warm up.

Oh well. Hope Nissans Warrior Titan becomes available next year so I can ditch this shitbox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts