Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16ft Big Tex 70PI trailer at about 3000 lbs empty. I have electric brakes so I set my trailer in settings for Lightweight Electric Brakes as the trailer. On my 2018 Rebel.

As per the manual RAM suggests setting the built in brake controller gain at 20mph squeezing the hand brake to the point just below lockup on the trailer. I have done this and the gain is 8.5... when I load the trailer with my SxS about another 3000lbs. I can't get the gain setting to just below lockup even when going to the max gain of 10.

Should I be keeping the empty trailer the same or should I switch to the trailer setting to Heavy Electric Brake and adjust gain to just below trailer brake lockup when my SxS loaded On the trailer?

Trying to find proper gain setting when trailer is loaded.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any input on this? Need to know proper brake gain setting when loaded trailer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone have any input on this? Need to know proper brake gain setting when loaded trailer.
My 2016 Rebel has the 392 axel ratio & my travel trailer is 28 ft (from rear bumper to the trailer hitch. The trailer weighs in LOADED AT 7000 LBs including a full fresh water holding tank that holds 80 Gallons.
I set my gain at 6--6.5 & for a loaded trailer. My last summer trip in 2018 I ALWAYS follow at a SAFE distance to vehicles in front of me, however, some real JACKASS passes me as i started to slow down for a RED light with 1 vehicle in front of me that was stopped at the RED light when this JACKASS passes me and then cuts in front of me and then brakes hard for the vehicle in front of me that was stopped for the RED light causing me to hit the brakes harder than normal and everything stayed STRAIGHT and came to a stop right behind that JACKASS ABOUT 3 FT BEHIND HIM !
These IDIOTS are either clueless or just VERY STUPID.
When i drove 18 wheelers loaded at 80,000 Lbs, these IDIOT JACKASSES would do the same thing, Even in front of LOADED GASOLINE TANKER TRUCKS WHICH Here in NEVADA they run TRIPLE TRAILERS Instead of DOUBLES.
There are a lot of IDIOTS OUT THERE who actually will CUT IN FRONT OF A SEMI AND THEN BRAKE CHECK THEM, OR WORSE CUT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SEMI THEN COME TO A COMPLETE STOP RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SEMI !!
Check out the YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR BRAKE CHECKING 18 WHEELERS. The truck drivers post these right from the onboard DASH CAMERAS and some truck drivers will just HIT THEM INSTEAD of Jackknifing and hitting traffic next to them.
The truck drivers have the DASHCAM Proof for law enforcement and it gets the Truck Driver off the hook. These IDIOTS do this infront of FLAMABLE and/or HAZMAT LOADS.
I am happy that my Rebel had the 6- 6.5 Gain setting. & came to a sraight stop.
Hope this helps.
Bert
REBEL 2211

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds to me you may need to service the brakes on your trailer. i have a 2300 lb dry, dump trailer. At 1.5 on the gain, it locks the axle when i apply my brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts