Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on my winter tires on my 2016 Ram Rebel using my old 2012 Ram 1500 wheels which had the original OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System on them. The RAM Rebel does not read the TPMS anymore. Does anyone know if I can reset or relearn the TPMS on the truck or do I have to get a new set?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You ha e to drive about 50 km before the tpms resers itself. It should do it automatically. If not something went wrong when they changed the tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put on my winter tires on my 2016 Ram Rebel using my old 2012 Ram 1500 wheels which had the original OEM Tire Pressure Monitoring System on them. The RAM Rebel does not read the TPMS anymore. Does anyone know if I can reset or relearn the TPMS on the truck or do I have to get a new set?

Been down this road before. Getting a new set won't do you any good unless your new snow tires can handle 55psi in the front and 45psi in the rear. Rebels come with E rated tires that require higher then normal air pressures. If you have any other tire that won't accept 55psi in the front, you'll have your TPMS light saying they are low.
My 315 /70/ 17's are load D but have same max load capability as a E at 3195lbs.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
If the sensors are not reading it might be a different sensor frequency. I know at some point, the newer Rams switched to a different sensor. If the frequency is correct, they should auto-relearn by driving around for about 15 minutes or so.

As mentioned above, if your sensors are reading but are indicating low, than the sensors are doing their job by relaying PSI, your truck is just set up to run a higher PSI than what the tires might be able to handle on the wheels from the older truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they don't reset after 50km but they used to work on my old RAM 1500 with winter tires. I am not getting a low pressure reading, just showing no reading at all. I think it must be the frequency. I guess I will just live without it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2015. When I got my new winter tires installed this year I had the same issue at first. The shop said drive it for 50 km over 50 kmph and it would reset, and they did.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
they don't reset after 50km but they used to work on my old RAM 1500 with winter tires. I am not getting a low pressure reading, just showing no reading at all. I think it must be the frequency. I guess I will just live without it.
Yeah, if they don't reset than your older wheels just have the wrong sensors for your Rebel. Unfortunately, the only fix is to purchase the correct sensors and have them installed. TPMS sensors are a pain in the tail most of the times but they have saved me a few times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how annoying is the low pressure warning? On my old ram it always overrode my center screen and flashed alll 4 tires at me and was annoying. Now that I have a fancier screen it seems that it would be even more in your face. Is this true?
I ask because I really want to switch to the rims that worked on the 2014 but those need to run at 39 and I hear the Rebel will throw a fit about that

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
how annoying is the low pressure warning? On my old ram it always overrode my center screen and flashed alll 4 tires at me and was annoying. Now that I have a fancier screen it seems that it would be even more in your face. Is this true?
I ask because I really want to switch to the rims that worked on the 2014 but those need to run at 39 and I hear the Rebel will throw a fit about that
Yeah, it's still pretty annoying on the fancier screens. Might just have to purchase new tires that can hold a higher PSI!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question have a 2017 rebel just changed tires new tires max air 44lbs how can I change the TPMS to reflect the new pressure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts