Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks. I purchased a rebel very recently. My question is how much can this tow. I am asking because I am out of state and have another vehicle I need to tow home. or ship. But I want to know if I could tow a 2006 Durango safely for about 600 miles? I logged on to uhaul and asked what I was towing and with what and it recommends not to.

what say you? need to know before I attempt to or if I should hire a transport trucker. Any and all input will be taken in consideration. I think the Durango weighs 6 or 7klbs. I now have 600 miles on my rebel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine can tow 9600lbs. There's a link on the ram page that will tell you the exact amount based on how your rebel is equipped

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The durango should only weight 4700-5100 depending on motor trans tranf case set up. You'll be plenty fine to tow it even if your rebel is one of the lower tow rated ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I will check the weight on the durango and see its exact weight. The rate for uhaul flatbed is the same for transporting it via rig. I think id rather have it towed by a rig than put strain on my new ride. But i hear good and bad things about transporters. One, i hear they cancel. Does anyone suggest a company to tow the Durango? Im in in central oklahoma going to southwest texas.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hertz, from what I`ve seen has a wider range of vehicles, so chances are they might have a truck you can rent that`s perfect for towing. Maybe an F-Series.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If I were looking for a company, I would head to Craigslist. You can look location specific and might just be able to find someone to help you out instead of a full on company which may be a cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Severely overthinking, Rebel with the Hemi is 9+K, even the 6cy is rated around 7.1K for towing.

Only way you cannot tow it is if for some reason you have the 6cy with the 3.21 rear end, which I did not even think was possible

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uhaul recommended not to tow this load, because the flat bed trailer with the Durango will weigh 6-7000lbs and is likely not equipped with a weight distributing hitch. In this case the maximum trailer tow ratings do not apply, you are limited to 500lb tongue load and 5000lb maximum trailer weight. As the correct tongue weight should be about 10% of total load, you would exceed both specifications.
For those who don't believe this, have a look here; Know Your Pickup's Weight-Carrying Limits - PickupTrucks.com News

Will it pull it? Sure, but if you are in an accident and found to exceed the recommended tow rating, things could go very badly for you and perhaps for Uhaul as well. This is probably why they didn't recommend towing with your truck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For what it's worth, I tow a 5500lb dry weight camper with my Rebel just fine. I do use a WDH and a brake controller, except when towing it to/from storage.

With a WDH and brake, you are within specs and the Rebel would handle it. But, 6-7k over 600 miles isn't something for a beginner. I don't know your towing experience, but just something to think about. Frankly, it's not something I'd want to do!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts