Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towed my 5400lb camper last fall with just me and light gear, and to/from the house/storage and thought it was fine. But in the last month I've loaded it up with the family for 2 trips, and it sucked.

Plenty of power and a smooth ride, but I had lots of trouble keeping it under control / in the lane over 50mph. I was puckered up most of the time.

After the first 120 mile trip I had the WDH checked out, and crunched the numbers again with regards to payload. All is fine and within limits. PSI was 55 cold on all tires.

The latest trip (460 miles) was just as miserable, even with nothing in the bed besides lawn chairs.

FWIW I towed this several times with no issues in my previous 1500 Sport Crew 4x4.

Anyone put their Rebel through a reasonable towing test yet? If so, thoughts?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I pulled that far, and somewhere near the weight, but not the size. Makes me think you have a sway problem or maybe you had crosswinds that were pushing you around. Notice either?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did sort of feel like a 30mph crosswind from both directions, the entire time. That wasn't it, but a similar feeling.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's really odd, I've seen quite a few people towing loads in that range for the approximate distance. How big were the objects and was the load distributed evenly ? Or as close to of course

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really odd, I've seen quite a few people towing loads in that range for the approximate distance. How big were the objects and was the load distributed evenly ? Or as close to of course
In general, or with the Rebel? It's a 24' camper, so besides food and coolers (which go over the axles) there's not much to distribute.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always had that feeling towing with a SRW short wheel base truck....that's why I use a load leveling/torsion bar hitch setup....best $800 I ever spent
I've towing for the first time with my new rebel tomorrow....should be 'interesting' since I've used a mega cab dually diesel now for 8 years

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I tow my fishing boat around all summer and it weighs in around 4700# with all my gear in it. I also have made a couple 500 plus mile trips pulling 9500 worth of trailer and jeep on the back. I've never had an issue towing either setups. Both are properly set up trailers though. The car trailer has anti-sway bars on it though. I haven't towed the car trailer yet without them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tow a toy hauler at or very close to max towing capability. Other than terrible gas mileage, it tows fine and this is at speeds of 70 mph. It is also 13 feet tall so a lot of trailer there. I am sure I am around 10K towing weight with everything.

·
Read Only
108 Posts
Max the tire pressures out to what the tires are rated for, get a weight distribution hitch and make sure the load is distributed properly. The wind will effect the trailer so if everything is set up properly it will feel much better than if you just put the trailer on and took off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the summer I towed my 24ft cigarette (28ft on trailer) from Cincinnati home which is about 700 miles. Total tow weight was about 5500lb and i had no troubles at all. Threw the truck in tow mode and dropped my hitch one inch. The boat never pushed me down hills and i had zero trouble staying in lanes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
In the summer I towed my 24ft cigarette (28ft on trailer) from Cincinnati home which is about 700 miles. Total tow weight was about 5500lb and i had no troubles at all. Threw the truck in tow mode and dropped my hitch one inch. The boat never pushed me down hills and i had zero trouble staying in lanes.
Good looking boat! The truck looks okay I guess. Haha Yeah, I haven't had any issues towing with my truck either. It handles great for being a half ton while under weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've always had that feeling towing with a SRW short wheel base truck....that's why I use a load leveling/torsion bar hitch setup....best $800 I ever spent
I've towing for the first time with my new rebel tomorrow....should be 'interesting' since I've used a mega cab dually diesel now for 8 years
Ditto on this post, load equalizing hitch is best money you will ever spend. I haven't towed with the Rebel yet, but with my previous Ram I pulled a 30 foot camper trailer, about 8500 lbs, and had no issues. If your camper is loaded with lots of gear, most of it should be in the front. I also never hauled the camper with the water tank full to reduce weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i towed my full size Jeep jku that with all trail gear and mods wieghs a little over 6100lbs. plus the 1800lb strailer. roguhly 9000lbs...without an issue at all. Tires stayed at a constant temperature...fuel was ok sitting at roughly 14-16MPG vs the 26 i usually get doing the same speeds.

I should have a picture somewhere that i can post later....it was a decent sized load on the trailer. plus about 500lbs in camping gear in the tailgate. plus god knows how much weight in tools crammed into the cab

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 2016 Rebel. Bought a 30 foot Amped toyhauler, with load leveling hitch. Was surprised how the truck and trailer would wander on the freeway, especially when passing semi trucks, the side wind off the truck made it necessary to counter steer the truck to stay in the lane. I've towed trailers for years, and with multiple trucks, and I've not had this experience. I added a sway bar, and that helped a little. The truck has the power to pull the trailer, but I wonder if the combination of short wheelbase, air ride suspension and off road tires is responsible.

I'm now evaluating my options to modify the truck or hitch to improve the towing stability. I really like everything else about the truck.

Any thoughts?

Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I should update this thread... I forgot about it but figured out my problem earlier this spring.

Ends up my camper's tongue weight is only about 10% when they ideally should be 12-15%. After a miserable 4 hour tow earlier this summer a guy at the campground told me to try putting all my gear towards the front, instead of evenly distributing things. Sure enough, on the way home I was going 70mph in 15-20 mph cross winds, passing semis with a smile. I've since towed 600+ miles with no problems or pucker-up moments.

The TT manufacturer rep confirmed the light tongue weight, but couldn't give me a valid reason for it.

Not sure if that'll help you Scott717. IMO you need a bigger truck for a 30' Toy Hauler.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts