Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Very tough choice. What do you typically do with the truck? Any plans for heavy hauling or towing? The Power Wagon has greater capacity with more engine, a rougher ride, and probably makes it in and out of a couple of places the Rebel won't. It's everything the Rebel is, plus a little. But it comes with the associated costs, like fuel consumption. They both have slick trim packages, although most of the people in this forum probably prefer the Rebel's look.

The Power Wagon has a higher resale value than most Rams. The Rebel is too new to say that from empirical evidence, but the odds are that it's going to be the "Power Wagon" of the 1500s.

All that said, the Power Wagons have come down quite a bit in price this year, and the Rebels are in the same price space. I just decked out a Rebel on the Ram configurator with the options I wanted, and it came out to $47k. Then I did the same thing with a Power Wagon, and it's $53,600.

The configurator only offers Uconnect 5.0 for the Power Wagon and its interior isn't as trimmed out. The Rebel has fancier interior trim and Uconnect 8.4. That might be a determining factor for some.

All of this said, if you found a difference of only $20/mo, just make sure the truck and options are what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Johnj thanks a lot! Just got off the phone with dealership they said I can take both trucks home for the day. That will help out a lot!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great opinion & advice "johnj"

Reactions: johnj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm reading about a lot of issues the rebel is having with leaking water and other problems. Is this truck ok or is it a few bad ones out there? Is there any power wagon issues that you know of? Hate to spend 50 grand on a new truck to have issues!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Depends what plant the Power Wagon comes out of, my boss has a 2015 2500 from Mexico and has had nothing but problems. Truthfully, I think any vehicle could have issues regardless of where or when it's made. Go with your gut!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a current Power Wagon owner. Keep in mind that mine is a 2009 and the newer model with coil rear suspension may be a bit more civilized. I really enjoy my truck and I tow a trailer off road down soft sand trails to my camp. The Power Wagon has never let me down and I have never been stuck on the trail. With the lockers engaged and the tires aired down it is an animal off road and has gobs of traction. On road the story is not so great. The ride is rough and cumbersome, the steering is far from precise. I used the truck as my daily driver for about 2 years and commuting in it got old. It's now a second vehicle and I commute in a car. Again, the new model may be improved but commuting in the Power Wagon gets tiring. This is why I am considering the Rebel as it is far more comfortable and will hopefully have enough off road ability to get me where I need to go.

·
Registered
159 Posts
With the Rebel, I don't see much of a benefit to the Power Wagon. You'd think with it being a 2500, it would blow away the payload and towing of the 1500 Rebel, but it's really not much different (unless I'm missing something). So I'm not sure the benefit of the bigger engine/axle in the Power Wagon.

So far, my Rebel has performed great on/off road and also towing a 5600lb (dry weight) camper - and as far as I'm concerned the 5.7L 3.92 is plenty capable. But, I do feel a times they may have rushed some things, or threw some of it together as there's been a few minor things on mine that have already broken or just made me shake my head a little. Either way, I still feel like the meat of this truck will handle anything I throw at it. The little stuff will get fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
To be honest, if I was still living on a farm, I'd have the Power Wagon for sure. Lots of stuff to lug around, and I've even used a heavy truck to help pull a tractor out of a tough spot. Pulling anhydrous (ammonia) and/or big water tanks around can put a real strain on an engine, especially if there's any air in the tanks because the liquid sloshes from front to back. And you want more braking power for heavy towing like that. Plus I like to avoid the hassles you get with dualies, so I'd avoid the 3500 if I had to go with dual rear wheels. A lot of guys like them for gooseneck trailering, though.

Now I'm mostly retired, and my Rebel meets all my current needs. I don't have a farm or extreme loads anymore, but I can pull a lot if need be, and carry more than I want to load/unload most days. And my old butt likes the softer ride when I drive. :)

Gotta agree with TheGreatRam - if your dealer will let you take them home overnight, that's a heck of an offer. Keep in mind to think through what you really *need* the truck for, and what you like just because it's cool. It will help you separate the wheat from the chaff.

TooByFoor (funny name, btw) - I'd say it this way: usually when you're running a working truck, you don't have scales handy. That pile of seed bags or lumber you're looking at carrying could be a half ton or 3/4 or more. The difference is what the truck does when you load it up. The beefier chassis, while being manufacturer rated for a specific load, often carries a heck of a lot more than the payload numbers indicate. Not saying it's legal or safe, just that it is what it is. That said, you mentioned other problems which I think (like VaderRebel) are probably more reminiscent of vehicles in general. I don't get the impression that the Rebel was thrown together. It's a 1500 with a different grill, bumper, and skid plate, different rear bumper and exhaust tips, and an embossed tailgate. Plus it has a purty interior. Everything else on the truck already existed in other models. As someone else said, it's basically a Bighorn? with a few different trim pieces. Whatever model, it's been around a while. It's not like they did a lot of specialized engineering just for the Rebel. Even the air ride is the same, just slightly different programming.

So I guess I'm just saying the differences are what the prospective owner makes of them, based on typical use and need. You're right, the differences aren't earth shattering, they're incremental. As was shown earlier, the costs are incremental, too. Heck, we've seen guys spend (or talk about spending) several thousand dollars on bumpers, wheels, tires, nerf bars, lights, fender flares, winches, and more. And none of these make a difference to the payload or towing capacity, they're mostly for cosmetics and some offroading ability. So it would not be entirely surprising to find Rebels that are more costly than the Power Wagon, after mods are done, but can't tow or haul as much, and don't have the live rear axle.

One cool thing about the Power Wagon is that you can upgrade it to *2* alternators for 380 amps of current. That's nearly triple what the Rebel's single alternator can put out (136 amps). Talk about some real electrical power. You can hang 6 to 8 landing lights for a Boeing 747 on that Power Wagon. That's what, about 9 million candlepower? You'd look like a miniature sun! We need that on the Rebel, too! I still think my Rebel is purty. But I'm a long time fan of the PW, too.

Thanks for the compliment, Roomraider.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You guys have done a great job with replies. This reminds me of the "should I buy a rubicon or sport" threads on jeep forums. Haha

The only thing I can add is to take your time with the decision. Don't feel rushed (unless for some reason your vehicle less now). I WANTED a power wagon but I didn't NEED one. I'm glad I went with the rebel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just wanted to give you cool cats a update. So I decided to go with a silver loaded up rebel very nice truck but I will miss my 2014 ram sport. Water leaking from driver grab handle I know new truck so I do have to wait until next week when the "new" seals come in I told them to do the other side to. My sport had the same problem. This must be a common issue with ram. But I can't wait to get her home!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats! You will love the Rebel. The power wagon has its place but it was way too much trick for my daily needs. Good luck with the Rebel. I love mine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts