Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the stock tires that came on my 16 Rebel. They are at about 36,000 miles and getting to the point im looking at changing them before i take a big trip in a few months.
This brings up the questions.
1- why does the front tires have to be at 55 PSI and the rear at 45 psi? i find this strange usually its the other way around.
2- what tires do you recommend?
3- has anyone heard of Thunderer TRAC GRIP M/T Mud R? Found them shopping around and surprisingly they came up on amazon and have all great reviews and are around $140 a tire which seems crazy cheap to me.
4- if i would go to a tire such as that will i have any problems keeping the correct tire pressures that are recommended per RAM and will i have any extra tire wear?

New to the forum here and trying to get a little help along the way. Thank you all ahead of time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can tell you what i switched to.
I bought my 2017 Rebel with 5410 miles and the tires were like new.I found it odd too that the front would take 55 psi and the rear would take 45 psi.I did some research and found that the Ram 2500 Power Wagon had the same OEM tires they put standard on the Rebel LT 285/70/17.I would suspect that is why the Rebel gets terrible MPG'S.I replaced my OEM Toyo LT 285/70/17 tires at 8000 miles with Good Year LT 265/70/17 Silent Armor with Kevlar tires and im now getting 16 + MPG'S to the gallon combined compared to 13-14 MPG'S before with the stock OEM Toyo tires.If you do buy tires just make sure they are LT Tires Load Range E.

Good luck....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I currently have the stock tires that came on my 16 Rebel. They are at about 36,000 miles and getting to the point im looking at changing them before i take a big trip in a few months.
This brings up the questions.
1- why does the front tires have to be at 55 PSI and the rear at 45 psi? i find this strange usually its the other way around.
2- what tires do you recommend?
3- has anyone heard of Thunderer TRAC GRIP M/T Mud R? Found them shopping around and surprisingly they came up on amazon and have all great reviews and are around $140 a tire which seems crazy cheap to me.
4- if i would go to a tire such as that will i have any problems keeping the correct tire pressures that are recommended per RAM and will i have any extra tire wear?

New to the forum here and trying to get a little help along the way. Thank you all ahead of time!
1-If you think about it, it actually does make some sense. There is quite a bit more weight on the front axle than on the rear with the truck unloaded. You can increase the pressures in the rear if you add a load either in the box or the hitch.
2-It's difficult to make a tire recommendation without knowing the main purpose of your truck. Are you driving off-road, or mostly paved roads? will you be carrying a load? Do you have to drive in snowy conditions? All of this information is needed when recommending a tire.
3-I've never heard of those tires. In looking at them on Amazon, I see they are an off-road tire. It's probable that your fuel economy will suffer with those tires. It's also likely that they won't work well in the snow, but I can't really know without doing more research.
4-My guess is that they will do fine at our recommended tire pressures. But again, at this point it's just a guess without doing more research.

I can tell you what i switched to.
I bought my 2017 Rebel with 5410 miles and the tires were like new.I found it odd too that the front would take 55 psi and the rear would take 45 psi.I did some research and found that the Ram 2500 Power Wagon had the same OEM tires they put standard on the Rebel LT 285/70/17.I would suspect that is why the Rebel gets terrible MPG'S.I replaced my OEM Toyo LT 285/70/17 tires at 8000 miles with Good Year LT 265/70/17 Silent Armor with Kevlar tires and im now getting 16 + MPG'S to the gallon combined compared to 13-14 MPG'S before with the stock OEM Toyo tires.If you do buy tires just make sure they are LT Tires Load Range E.

Good luck....
Did you adjust your speedo/odo for the change in tire size? 265/70/17 tires are just over an inch smaller than the stock size tires. That size difference will affect both your speedometer and odometer, and skew your mileage calculations.

You went from an LT tire to a different LT tire, so there won't be much of a difference in fuel economy. They're both 10 ply tires, and will be comparable in weight and rolling resistance. If you had gone with the stock size on the Goodyears I doubt you would see any appreciable difference. Now, if you went away from an LT metric tire to a P metric tire you would see an improvement.

Our Rebels are half ton pickups, and it's perfectly fine to run a P metric tire, especially if you never go off-road. I would agree with your recommendation if the OP is using it off road much though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts