Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, thanks for all of the insight that I’ve been reading over the last couple of months.

I bought a 2016 Rebel over the past weekend (new, 12 miles). When they started the truck up at the dealership, there was a pronounced knocking, like a valve tapping, for about three seconds after the truck was started. Lasted about as long as it would take for oil to get up in the heads. They dealership swore to me that was normal and all of the Hemis do that. They said it was also because the truck likely sat for a week or more without being started. For the record, I traded in a 2004 Hemi Sport (5.7l) that I owned since new. That truck NEVER did that, not even after sitting for a month while I was away on business. The new Rebel has done the same thing every time after sitting for 4 hours or more since then. I’ve read up on the infamous “Hemi tick”. This isn’t that. It only happens at start-up, when the truck has been sitting for several hours, and only lasts for 2-3 seconds.

Anyone experience the same thing?

Thanks for any help! Jim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, no takers. Here’s an update anyway.

I sent the truck back to the dealership to have a couple of things fixed. Both of the rear fender guards and the front driver guard were separating from the body. Come to find out they’re held on with double sided tape. Not quite what I expected, but it is what it is.

The loaner they gave me, with the same motor as the rebel, ticks under the same conditions stated above. I’m pretty sure what I’m hearing are the lifters clattering having no oil in the top side of the engine on start-up. Seems like this is a design issue introduced since they built my 2004 5.7 that I just got rid of. Probably won’t be an issue in the near-term, but I have to wonder what that oil-starved condition will do to the motor over 10,000 starts or more.

I have to say though, that the newer technology in the engine/trans has produced a package that is a LOT quicker than my old truck and about 3mpg better on gas. So that’s a nice upside.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's pretty much oil starvation from the lifters. Eventually over time you may receive some damages from that but for now you should be okay, Don't understand why it's passible for it to be an issue from new though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine does the same thing, almost all the time when I start it up. Also over revs a lot on the very first shift into second gear

·
Registered
147 Posts
What you are hearing is the famous hemi tick. Almost all of them have for some reason or another. I think it has to do with the mds lifters. My 04 Durango or 07 ram did not have the tick as they were not a mds engine, but I have the tick in the Challenger and Rebel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can assure within reasonable doubt the issue is the oil filter. RAM's mopar filters are Fram filters and they have plastic anti reverse flow valves in them. I use AC Delco filters which have metal anti reverse flow valves and they work much better. They makes a difference.

Try an AC Delco oil filter and see if the issue goes away and please let us know the results.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can assure within reasonable doubt the issue is the oil filter. RAM's mopar filters are Fram filters and they have plastic anti reverse flow valves in them. I use AC Delco filters which have metal anti reverse flow valves and they work much better. They makes a difference.

Try an AC Delco oil filter and see if the issue goes away and please let us know the results.
Interesting thought! I hadn't considered oil restriction. I'll try the different filter and see what happens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guest what Jimbolo, I was showing my son the air suspension features of my new Rebel and when I started it...........lifter / valve clatter was pretty bad. Looks like I will be testing out my filter theory. Did it again next time I started it.

Also I was wrong about the AC Delco filters, they may have changed over the last several years but it no longer has a metal anti reverse flow valve, it is rubber now.

Instead of the AC Delco filter I am going to try the WixXP filter. It is mid cost range (about $10) and appears to be a good high quality filter for the money. Maybe not as good as the $16 Mobile 1 but it should do what it needs to do. Has a good silicone anti reverse flow valve instead of rubber like the cheaper filters.

I also found out that this truck takes different filter than what I use on my 300C 5.7. The Wix part number for our Rebels is 57060XP. I am going to pick on up this week and change it out. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with mine, 2015 purchased new that now has 26K miles on it. I've thought there was something wrong and almost took it to the dealer but other than at startup it runs and sounds like a champ. I'm thinking about switching to full synthetic or a synthetic blend, probably won't help but worth a shot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have found over the last year that it is much more prominent if I start it, let it sit and idle, then shut it off. When I restart it, the ticking is LOUD! If I drive it then shut it off, it's not near as bad the next time I start it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2017 with 7400 miles no ticking, nothing but HEMI Sound. I would make the service manager put in writing and sign it that nothing is wrong with the engine so when the truck his 60K and the engine blows up at 61k and the point to valve issues, top end you can go back and say look I told you there was a problem, I change my oil, i take care of my truck but you didnt listen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took my 2017 in for the dreaded Hemi tick, had the service writer notate it in my records. They came back, nothing wrong speech. So every service, I have been on that Hemi tick issue with them. So far only issue with my truck was a right rear seat belt that liked to ratchet up on the person in that seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been dealing with the dealer and the dreaded hemi tick myself. Deal keeps going no problem found.. I have even recorded the cold starts with it rattling away. They told me well we have to reproduce this issue. So rental car it will be so they can keep it over night. I just turned 10k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. Ticking at start up and then it goes away after a little bit. I did some crawling around under the truck and started looking. It definitely does not sound internal. Mine sounds external like an exhaust leak. I started the truck a few times while I was under the vehicle and noticed that there was some air flow from under the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. I looked closely at the manifold and there is some carbon deposits on the manifold that looks like it is coming out from under the heat shield. Now I am thinking I have a cracked exhaust manifold... I will need to pull the heat shield. Could be as easy as a manifold gasket, but my luck doesn't work that good...

The infamous "Hemi tick" could be an infamous Hemi cracked exhaust manifold...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts