Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Laramie EcoDiesel, but I've loved the Rebel even since before I bought the Eco. The style, Hemi, capability... love it.

So, I'm taking a long trip into Canada from Oregon next week and it's been very cold up there. If the Eco proves to be too much of a pain, I might choose to move to a Rebel in the spring. Despite much lower economy, the $200 oil changes and overall increased maintenance and worries of the EcoDiesel have me really leaning toward Hemi, and the Rebel really looks good and complete to me.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Eco. The Rebel is tempting me, though, especially after a closer look today while waiting for my Eco oil change.

Pic of the Eco attached for good measure....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong getting into a Rebel! I use to be a diesel guy owning a few diesel 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The first one I had was pre-emissions and I loved it. I than traded it in for a newer truck that was post-emissions and that ruined my love for diesels for me. Cost to maintain/repair is crazy expansive.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a big diesel, but I found the Eco underpowered when I drive my friend's. Plus, you pay a $3100 premium for it above the cost of the Hemi 5.7L.

Gas $ for 89 octane around here is right at 2.099/gal and diesel is at 2.499/gal. Combined mpg is rated at 22 vs Hemi 17. If you drive 12k miles, your costs for fuel are $1,482 with the Hemi vs $1,363 for the Eco. But with the Eco you also have to add DEF (urea) which runs about $2.80/gal. You use about 13 gal for 12,000 miles - cost of $36, bringing the total savings down to $83. Gonna take a long time before you actually save money with a diesel.

To break even, you have to drive 448,000 miles on the truck before you saved enough in fuel costs to pay for the diesel option. And that's assuming that you paid cash for the truck. Because if you financed it or leased it, you're paying interest on that diesel engine, too. And as lmeavtitn noted, repairs need to be figured in as well.

Hard to argue with torque of the larger diesel engines, though. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info from both of you. I should note that my Eco is GDE tuned ($750), which increases economy and betters performance, which makes it an even better truck. I came from a Yukon Denali, though, and find myself missing that big V8.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Good info from both of you. I should note that my Eco is GDE tuned ($750), which increases economy and betters performance, which makes it an even better truck. I came from a Yukon Denali, though, and find myself missing that big V8.
What tuners can do to a diesel engine is unbelievable. I had a Ram 2500 with the 6.7. I decided to delete the emissions system because it failed. It was cheaper to buy a straight pipe exhaust, a tuner and an egr block off plate. It turned my already torquey truck into a monster!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts