Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Hemi engine why do you use synthetic engine oils . with an automatic oil change indicator system. would you not change the oil when it tell you to .

John P

·
Registered
451 Posts
You could ask 5 car guys about oil and you'll get 47 different answers. Bottom line, if you follow the specific maintenance schedule of the manufacturer, any approved oil will do. Is synthetic better in some situations... I would have to argue, yes. But most professional mechanics would agree that a standard engine oil changed on a regular basis is good enough.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
You could ask 5 car guys about oil and you'll get 47 different answers. Bottom line, if you follow the specific maintenance schedule of the manufacturer, any approved oil will do. Is synthetic better in some situations... I would have to argue, yes. But most professional mechanics would agree that a standard engine oil changed on a regular basis is good enough.
I couldn't have said it any better!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I couldn't have said it any better!
Hi guys, I'm new to the Hemi also, but not new to car forums. I've also been around cars and shops for the last 40 years. I'm going to respectfully take issue with that last statement. Is "good enough" good enough for your engine? While conventional oil will obviously work, synthetic oil has many more benefits over conventional oil. With the only real downside being that it's more expensive. I made the switch to synthetic for all of my vehicles more than 10 years ago. Longer OCI's, resistance to thickening when cold, and reduced engine sludge are the main reasons I use it. But the real deciding factor was when I saw an engine from a 1991 Honda Prelude torn down which had used synthetic oil all it's life. It had over 200k miles on it. When we removed the valve cover, the inside of the head was still the natural aluminum color as when it came off the assembly line. The main and rod bearings showed virtually no wear. The reason we were rebuilding it was because of a common issue with Honda's early FRM cylinder sleeves wearing out piston rings. If not for that we would have left it as is. But after seeing the condition of that engine, I was a believer in synthetic oil from that point on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I welcome a robust "regular vs synthetic" discussion, but if you re-read my post you will notice I prefer, use and recommend using synthetic oil. My comment "good enough" stands as an accurate and true statement, regular oil IS good enough, for warranty and when changed regularly, for prolonged engine life.

Is synthetic better? I believe you would have to be pretty naive to think otherwise, but regular oil will do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are absolutely correct. My apologies for reading over that part of your post. The last sentence just didn't sit well with me so I jumped on that. In my defense, I did also say that conventional oil will work. :D I'm amazed however at how many people still don't trust synthetic oil or don't want to spend more per quart on it, and still stick with a 3000 mile OCI.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You are absolutely correct. My apologies for reading over that part of your post.
Understandable, often the last comment in a post is what sticks in ones mind.

I'm amazed however at how many people still don't trust synthetic oil or don't want to spend more per quart on it, and still stick with a 3000 mile OCI.
I couldn't agree more. You would think the cheapest part of a vehicles maintenance would be worth adding a few bucks to invest in good synthetic oil and a high quality filter! I changed my oil after the first 500 miles and changed to synthetic for the exact reasons you mentioned about engine health and longevity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also new to the RAM hemi. Any suggestions/experiences on when to change to synthetic oil? After the initial oil/filter change, or wait a few thousand miles. Had a couple RAM Cummins trucks and waited until I had 20,000 miles before making the change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good question in my opinion I always use full synthetic oil in both my trucks and motorcycle it makes a film on the colander walls that makes it easier for ur pistons to move up and down and the rings to not scratch the heck out of the colander walls that in its self is the best reason 2nd it 80 percent of the time increases ur has milage went for 12 miles per gallon city to 16 and 28 highway no mods on rebel I'm a firm believer in total purple oil

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wondering the same thing. I ve read / heard everything from right away to waiting till 25 000 km. The most compelling argument was from a friend who said that it depends on the machining process. In one of the processes (cant remember the name) the rings take longer to seat and synthetic oil will prolong that process. The other process , the motor is good to go with synthetic right away.

His advice was, at about 1000-1500 k, swap out the oil & filter for a good quality Oil filter ( he likes K&N but fully admits that oil filters and oil are like religion and politics...never to be discussed in polite circles for fear of arguments). At 5000k, swap the oil and filter out again, and replace with the filter synthetic oil of choice.

he finished by saying..the is 'A" way and not "the" way...he has good luck and performance with all his vehicles so...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like synthetic or synthetic blend at the least. I don’t care what the OCI recommendation is. I change at 8000Kms minimum and 9000 max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts