Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone experience a fluttering sound around the 30-45mph range while cruising (foot off the gas pedal) or waiting for the truck to downshift? I don't know if fluttering is a good word for it, but its like a low key woo, woo, woo, woo until it shifts or the gas pedal is going.

The truck is fine during acceleration and idling. It may be normal since I haven't owned a dodge, but it seems like an issue when its trying to downshift or not giving it gas.

A way to test it just put the truck into cruise control around 40mph and hit a straight away, so no gas is needed.

Thanks!
2016 Rebel 5.7
400 miles

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'm thinking that you're hearing the MDS kick in on your Hemi. Kind of sounds like your engine is "bogging" down but it's not. A way to check if this is the noise you are hearing is turn on your "ECO" light through your touch screen. When "ECO" illuminates on your dashboard, it is telling you it's going into MDS mode. MDS mode cuts down your engine to 4 cylinder operation so you'll hear it "bogging" down until you depress the gas pedal enough to kick it back into 8 cylinder mode.

I'm thinking this is the noise you are hearing. I'm on my 4th ram and the 2 that had MDS have exhibited the same things you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Also, if you put your truck in manual shift mode, that noise should go away if it is the MDS mode making the noise. When your truck is in manual shift mode, MDS will not kick it. You'll also notice in manual shift mode, you "ECO" light will not illuminate on your dashboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is the MDS, I hate it myself so I just set it to 6th gear to run around in town so that I don't hear that. Also my mileage picks up just a tick for in town driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts