Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried applying colors to the stock wheels. I have the red/black version like in the picture below. I like the stock wheels, but the machined faces don't really match the truck well. I'm considering just spraying those faces with Plasti Dip, which is easily removed later if desired. Here's a rough idea of what it might look like. (not my actual truck, I snagged the original pic off a website)

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would see if there are any products that you could use over top of the plastidip to make sure it doesn't chip. Or you could just be okay with touching it up from time to time. It is super cheap.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is indeed cheap. There are clear and gloss coats for the plastidip that reduce the chance of chipping. It is rubber, so it already resists chipping pretty well. And it's easily fixed or redone, without damaging the stock wheels.

I was leaning that way because it would give me options. If I don't like the color, it's easy to remove it without damage. And the color range is crazy. I was considering putting bumper-mounted Hella red-trimmed round driving lights on the front: 4000 compacts. The HIDs are really expensive at $400 per light, and I don't need that kind of power. But the red trim is cool, and made me think about getting the non-HID driving light versions and trimming the ring in a metallic / anodized red to match the wheels.

Basically I was just looking for ways to tie the color scheme together better as I added/modded.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is indeed cheap. There are clear and gloss coats for the plastidip that reduce the chance of chipping. It is rubber, so it already resists chipping pretty well. And it's easily fixed or redone, without damaging the stock wheels.

I was leaning that way because it would give me options. If I don't like the color, it's easy to remove it without damage. And the color range is crazy. I was considering putting bumper-mounted Hella red-trimmed round driving lights on the front: 4000 compacts. The HIDs are really expensive at $400 per light, and I don't need that kind of power. But the red trim is cool, and made me think about getting the non-HID driving light versions and trimming the ring in a metallic / anodized red to match the wheels.

Basically I was just looking for ways to tie the color scheme together better as I added/modded.
That actually sounds gorgeous...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any pictures of these driving lights that you are speaking of?
Here's a link to the lights with the red ring. Hella has larger lights, but this compact model appears to be small enough to mount on the existing bumper at each side of the grill. The larger lights need more clearance behind them. The 4000i compact is 6.7" across, which is plenty large. It's Xenon, with ballast integrated. I really want the LED version instead but they come with blue (or black) rings.

The problem is that the red ringed lights are Xenon w/ ballast. I wanted to get LED lights that will draw less power and not fail as often as Xenons. Their LEDs come with a blue ring.

I'm attaching a picture I gimped up (gimp is a photoshop-like tool). I added lights where I'd like to place them on the front bumper. The light on the left is resized approximately to the size of the 4000i compact light.

The one on the right is closer to the size of the regular 4000 for comparison. You'd have to have some sort of mount for it, though, due to clearance needs. I like the larger look better, but I haven't found a mount that would fit there that I like, yet.

Overall, I think I'm liking the round light look better on this truck than rectangular lights, although ntbruncie1988's lightbar in the skid plate blends really nicely.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts