Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. New to the board as a member, but been reading and watching for a while.

I own a 2016 Rebel and have put a good amount of miles on it since I bought it in November of 2015. I've got just under 38,000 on the odometer and noticed a clicking sound coming from my steering column. At first I thought it was something with the brakes or suspension, but after doing some checks decided to take her into the dealer.

After 2 days of assessment I got a call today that they've concluded the steering rack needed to be replaced completely as something had broken inside. They've quoted me $2,500 for the repair and will guarantee their work for 12,000 miles.

My question to the forum is has anyone run into this on their trucks, or had any friends that have? I'm taking it to another dealer tomorrow for a second opinion.

I was also thinking about the way the truck drives with the air suspension. After reading some other posts and some expert opinions people aren't sold on the air suspension. A concern has been the lowering and raising of the truck throws off the alignment and puts more strain on the drivetrain. Probably 70% of my miles are highway and the truck is constantly shifting from normal to aero mode given my speed limits in the area are 75. I'm wondering if the air suspension could have potentially caused enough strain on the rack to result in my current situation.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hey Everyone. New to the board as a member, but been reading and watching for a while.

I own a 2016 Rebel and have put a good amount of miles on it since I bought it in November of 2015. I've got just under 38,000 on the odometer and noticed a clicking sound coming from my steering column. At first I thought it was something with the brakes or suspension, but after doing some checks decided to take her into the dealer.

After 2 days of assessment I got a call today that they've concluded the steering rack needed to be replaced completely as something had broken inside. They've quoted me $2,500 for the repair and will guarantee their work for 12,000 miles.

My question to the forum is has anyone run into this on their trucks, or had any friends that have? I'm taking it to another dealer tomorrow for a second opinion.

I was also thinking about the way the truck drives with the air suspension. After reading some other posts and some expert opinions people aren't sold on the air suspension. A concern has been the lowering and raising of the truck throws off the alignment and puts more strain on the drivetrain. Probably 70% of my miles are highway and the truck is constantly shifting from normal to aero mode given my speed limits in the area are 75. I'm wondering if the air suspension could have potentially caused enough strain on the rack to result in my current situation.

Thanks in advance guys.
I can see the added strain on the rack. On the other hand though, I can see more strain on the rack/suspension when the truck height is changed while the vehicle is stationary. It's pretty crazy...part of my shop at work is smooth concrete. I parked my truck in there during a hail storm. I lowered the truck from off road to entry/exit mode and the front tires were slipping or dragging while the truck was lowering. After I noticed that, I only adjust the height on a roll, taking the pressure of the geometry changing in the suspension off the suspension components and steering rack.

It could have just been a faulty part though too. The suspension and steering rack is always taking a beating from hitting bumps and pot holes in the road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As you know, the Rebel isn't the only Ram truck that uses air suspension. I would think that if this was a problem we'd see more people having issues with it. I haven't noticed that this has been an issue for other Ram 1500 owners, but I'm relatively new to Ram trucks. It appears to have been an option since the 2013 model year. There are plenty of owners who've put a lot more than 38k miles on their trucks in that time.

Having said that, I can see how the air system could put strain on other systems. I like the ability to adjust ride height with the push of a button, but sometimes I wish we just had normal springs. Time will tell, but I hope your problem is a one-off, and it's not just the beginning of a more widespread problem.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
As you know, the Rebel isn't the only Ram truck that uses air suspension. I would think that if this was a problem we'd see more people having issues with it. I haven't noticed that this has been an issue for other Ram 1500 owners, but I'm relatively new to Ram trucks. It appears to have been an option since the 2013 model year. There are plenty of owners who've put a lot more than 38k miles on their trucks in that time.

Having said that, I can see how the air system could put strain on other systems. I like the ability to adjust ride height with the push of a button, but sometimes I wish we just had normal springs. Time will tell, but I hope your problem is a one-off, and it's not just the beginning of a more widespread problem.
You're right - air suspension has been offered through Ram/Jeep vehicles for a while. It is a pretty reliable product. Years ago when air suspension first came out in pass. vehicles there were tons of issues but for the most part, the kinds have been worked out. The biggest being a Nitrogen filled sealed system.

My concern is that all the suspension components are the same across the board on Ram trucks regardless if the truck is equipped with factory air suspension or conventional springs. Air suspension does add wear and tear on suspension and steering components...the question is how much and is it measurable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
2,000 miles out of warranty and a $2,500 repair...? I'd be throwing a polite tantrum with the dealer and Ram Customer Care before paying out of pocket for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"It could have just been a faulty part though too. The suspension and steering rack is always taking a beating from hitting bumps and pot holes in the road."

You got to be kidding right? The suspension takes a beating from hitting bumps, ridiculous...if at least it should last you 150000 miles till you start seeing problems, they are talking about a new 2 year old Rebel, they should not be doing that at all. ****, my dad k1500 still kicking after 15 years no suspension problems and he even uses it to plow snow up north. For what im seeing these trucks are a precursor of a better rebel coming in the future since its the first rebel build in dodge's vehicle line up my guess is thats going to be seen in new models. And for it being a faulty part..more like quality inspection didnt do their job. I am pissed because i like the Rebel and seeing people with problems really set me back!:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts