Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed for some time that it's a little tough to keep my Rebel straight on the highway. Feels like I'm constantly adjusting left/right/left. And it feels like I have to two-hand the wheel more than I should, especially in traffic or construction zones.

Any thoughts, before I ask the dealer about it. Alignment?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Tire pressure. Front tires should be at 55 psi. Most common cause of this sort of handling in my limited experience. Plus you can check that yourself. I'd check alignment next. Take it to the dealer for that, so that it doesn't cost you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'd take them up to 55. Not the rear. Rear can be a little lower without affecting the steering so much. If they don't feel right at 55, get it to the dealer.

Keep in mind it's a truck. It's not going to feel like a sports car. And it's going to feel off just a tiny bit from other 1500s because it's sitting a little higher and on larger tires (33's). Pickup trucks are to cars what shrimp boats are to jet skis.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering same thing after dealership replaced axle. Truck felt like it was all over road! Good luck using the in cab air pressure notification it is all over the place! To me 55 psi is way too much in off road tires. I run all four at 52, would rather have them at 40 psi like every other off road tire I've had.

·
Registered
660 Posts
These particular tires aren't really pure off-road tires, they are combination on-and-off-road tires. On the front end, they handle pretty well and responsively at 55psi, although they're not like sports car tires and they're not designed to be. At 45psi and lower they tend to wallow a bit, they don't steer well at all. They're more sluggish, like driving in mud, the front end responds more slowly than it should. Plus your mpg starts to drop as you soften the tires.

The rear end feels fine at 45. Trucks, in my opinion, always feel twitchy to drive when the rear tires have too much pressure. Little bumps cause the rear to bounce, sometimes to the sides instead of up and down, and make the truck feel like it's weaving a little unpredictably.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put them back up to 55. No change. I did ask the dealer about it, but got the "it feels normal" response. In 20+ years of driving, which includes trucks and a Ram 1500 I had before this, this isn't normal IMO.

I'm thinking I probably described it wrong. The steering wheel doesn't want to come back to straight all the way. When I turn, if I don't help it back, it'll keep turning a little. This leads to constant slight left/right adjustments on the highway. Sort of thinking it's the heavier tires, but I did run LTs on my other 1500 for a period of time and didn't have this.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hmmm. It is an electric steering system. Maybe there's something slightly off in the electronics. Or maybe the rear end is dog tracking slightly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds like a steering calibration is in order. This is common with every electric steer FCA has put on the market.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still working this issue. The dealer did an alignment (they said it was way off) and that helped for about 2 weeks. But, it's back to how it was before. It'll keep turning unless I bring the wheel back the remaining 15 degrees or so that it won't do on it's own. And, my rotator cuff is sore again from constantly tweaking left/right on the highway.

So tell me, does everyone else's steering wheel come back to center on it's own under normal, pavement driving conditions? It has in every other vehicle I've owned, even my prior RAM 1500 that had 34" LT tires on it for a period of time.

I think it should. Just not sure if there's a reason it wouldn't, in the Rebel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
TooByFoor,
I am not experiencing any of the steering problems you describe. Steering wheel comes back to center without me thinking about it, in fact the Rebel is one of the most comfortable vehicles on the highway I have owned. I think Roomraider is right.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I just wanted some validation, before I went back to the dealer. You know how it goes when you have to tell them something doesn't "feel right".

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think there is definitely something amiss with your truck. My Rebel is probably the best handling and smoothest riding truck of the many I have driven over the years. It tracks perfectly straight on the highway, no corrections needed at all if the weather is calm.
Before I purchased mine, I test drove another Rebel, and it was it's highway handing that prompted me to buy one shortly thereafter. I had been concerned the off-road capability might compromise the highway performance too much. I was pleasantly surprised to find how good it was.

·
Super Moderator
451 Posts
I agree with the majority, the Rebel is smooth as silk. I had a 2015 Eco Diesel Laramie as a loaner for my recall and warranty work today and it felt like a 76 Chevy compared to my Rebel, although I have to admit seeing 25mpg average during normal driving was impressive.

Don't let your dealer off the hook, keep on them til you're happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd have to agree with the majority here, coming from 2013 F150 lariat, with 20" wheels the Rebel blew me away with it's handling and overall "feel". The sidewall flex is the only thing that keeps my truck from feeling like a sports car! Steering wheel always unwinds to center.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took it back to the dealer, they looked at it again, and then said it rides as it should and that they compared it to one they had on their lot. They told me with the different suspension on the Rebel (??) it won't come back exactly to center...

Not sure what to do now, I guess I'll call Ram directly?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Took it back to the dealer, they looked at it again, and then said it rides as it should and that they compared it to one they had on their lot. They told me with the different suspension on the Rebel (??) it won't come back exactly to center...

Not sure what to do now, I guess I'll call Ram directly?
Did they let YOU compare it to one they have on the lot?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with the rest.

Best handling vehicle on the highway we've owned in a long time.

If this dealer isn't willing to help, try another.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issue on my 2020. Was there ever any resolution to your problem? Mine wanders on the highway. I have to keep adjusting to maintain my lane. Steering wheel also feels sluggish. I had a 2007 Ram 1500 for the last 13 years, same tires, no such problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts