Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anytime I go around a corner at low speeds or even just turning onto a street in the rain, my truck either slides out or feels like it's about to. Steering into corners doesn't even feel too great. This happens when I'm not on the gas pedal. I've had plenty of other trucks and have never had this happen, never had this issue in my 14' Sport. Not sure if it's because of the tires or the soft air suspension (or combo of both).

Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I took off the Toyo's for this exact reason. I went with KO2's and it's been MUCH better. I think the goal they had with the Toyos was tread life.. so they used a harder compound than was likely wise.. fun in the sand/gravel/rocks but was sloppy in the rain.. and I didn't want to even consider it for winter...

Anytime I go around a corner at low speeds or even just turning onto a street in the rain, my truck either slides out or feels like it's about to. Steering into corners doesn't even feel too great. This happens when I'm not on the gas pedal. I've had plenty of other trucks and have never had this happen, never had this issue in my 14' Sport. Not sure if it's because of the tires or the soft air suspension (or combo of both).

Does anyone else experience this?

·
Read Only
108 Posts
^ Yep Toyos suck. I had 35s on my F150 ecoboost and could spin them on dry pavement, then I went to 34 KO2s and can only do it in the rain so when my Rebel comes in I'll be swapping them out asap to either duratracs or KO2s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume you guys are all in colder areas. I am in SoCal and with our desert and rocky mountain terrain, the Toyos work great. I have never used them in snow or super wet conditions so I understand if they don't hold up to those areas. I have actually had these Toyos on my last two trucks and have never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I'm on "wet-coast" also known as Vancouver lol. Lots of rain and I go up north a lot in the winter where there's up to 3ft of snow. These tires suck for this area

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The KO 2s are an awesome all season all terrain tire. Excellent choice. I'll be buying a set here before the snow sets in the midwest. They are unique because not only are they M+S rated (mud and snow), they are also severe snow flake rated in many sizes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a stop sign sneak up on me last night going about 25 mph. It was wet, but barely raining. I had absolutely no traction and ended up sliding about 30 feet. I am a little worried considering this is my first winter in Ontario, coming from Florida...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a stop sign sneak up on me last night going about 25 mph. It was wet, but barely raining. I had absolutely no traction and ended up sliding about 30 feet. I am a little worried considering this is my first winter in Ontario, coming from Florida...
Main thing to remember is get amazing tires, and always give yourself "more than you think" distance. It can get real hairy out there quite often without you even thinking it should be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the same. Removed the toyos and went with the KO2's. With the toyos I mildly hydroplaned twice while having to brake hard on wet roads at fairly low speeds. Night and day difference between the BFG's and Toyos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ditto. I am removing my Toyos, come winter tire time, for this reason BUT I took the air pressure down and it REALLY helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run them 5-8 psi lower. This made a considerable difference for me and ensures the check tire light doesn't come on. Provides a little more forgiveness not only in the rain - but also on uneven highways, etc where I had considerable 'bounce back'...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I run them 5-8 psi lower. This made a considerable difference for me and ensures the check tire light doesn't come on. Provides a little more forgiveness not only in the rain - but also on uneven highways, etc where I had considerable 'bounce back'...
I'll be trying this when I get home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, this is a crazy read! I've actually been really impressed by the traction on the stock Toyos. I have ALWAYS had BFG's on my trucks. Most recent the K02 on my Tundra that I had traded in for my Rebel. And on off camber turns, at a start, going uphill, the BFGs slid out overytime. Even when dry. The Toyos feel like super glue. I can't get it to kick out (traction control maybe? Either way, it's impressive.) BFGs were always great off road for me, and in the snow, but wet pavement and even off camber intersection starts, they were always loose (Old school Dodge Dakota, Tacoma 4x4, Tundra Double Cab 4x4)

Then last week we had out first rain in SoCal in what seems like a decade. It came down hard. Now, keep this in mind. The reason SoCal drivers get a bad rap about being poor drivers in the rain, is all the oil builds up without rain. So when the rain finally hits, it becomes slick track. These Toyos did great for me, even when I was hitting 4-6" of water at decent speed (who doesn't like to push tidal waves onto the sidewalk), and even starting with my tires on a wet painted intersection line and goosing it pretty good.

So, it's a BIG bummer to read this, because we own a cabin in the mountains, and now I'm worried about potential snow driving. Snow in SoCal is wet. Now you have me second guessing myself! Must just be I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my new Rebel!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just swapped out for the BFG KO2's after hydroplaning at low speeds.

Attachments

Reactions: 8089

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nightshade, what PSI are you running your KO2's at?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts