Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am just outside Denver Colorado. I purchased the Rebel due to the air shocks as I am in a wheelchair. When the truck lowers I can get in , then raise it up and ride with the big boys. I did swap out the stock tires and put Geolander 285 65 17's on to lower the truck a little more. It is still a little tough to get into. I put Bushwacker pocket flares on so I added 2" wheel spacers to bring the wheels out to meet the flares. I am now told that the spacers are really bad for the truck, will wear out parts quickly??
Anyway, I have done lots of reading but have not found anything that tells me what offset or back spacing I need to get the wheels back out to where I am now (without the spacers) I do not care what size wheel and tire, I just want to get the same look or better without spacers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I cannot raise the truck with taller tires as I cannot get in as easily.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stock wheels are 17x8, with a +18.05 offset. So if you bought a set of wheels that were also 17x8 you would want the offset to be -32. that would be the same as using the stock wheels with 2" wheels spacers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what is the difference when we add in backspacing? I have 4 wheels coming, 4.5 inch backspacing and -12 offset. Will that put me where I am with stock wheels and 2" spacers? This is confusing.
Thanks for the help.. This is what I have coming so I hope the website I was using knew what it was saying.. LOL
E

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is the width of the new wheels you have coming, and what did you get? I really like the look of the old red dirt road wheels, I'm thinking about getting a set when I'm ready to move up to 35" tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I get the wheels on, I will post a picture of the Bushwacker fender flares and wheel upgrade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I have one of the hood decals I can sell.. It is the same as what I have in this picture from Ram. I purchased 2 by mistake. Second one has been sitting in my garage all winter in the canister.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm new to understanding backspacing, and offset my self. So I could be wrong, but the new wheels you got would be similar to putting a 3/4" spacer on the stock wheel. Hope that helps, looking forward to seeing pics of the new wheels, and flares.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that is right, I am not going to be thrilled with the new set up. Stock wheels with 2" spacers are where I am and would really love to bring them out a bit farther. Guess I can always add spacers again or not take them off. I am just concerned with the extra torque on everything with the spacers on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Using the chart to have a wheel that is 9 inches wide you would go to the 8 in stock wheel at 18mm(the chart shows 19). Convert that to a 9 in wheel which would be 6mm. then add the 2" spacer (-50mm). So the offset you want is -44mm. The back spacing for that wheel would be 3.25in

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I know about wheel spacers as long as it is hub centric, and has correct stud length. It is the same as using a wheel with negative offset, but more dangerous because you are adding more parts that could fail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, I have one of the hood decals I can sell.. It is the same as what I have in this picture from Ram. I purchased 2 by mistake. Second one has been sitting in my garage all winter in the canister.
Hello, how much do you want for the decals?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what I know about wheel spacers as long as it is hub centric, and has correct stud length. It is the same as using a wheel with negative offset, but more dangerous because you are adding more parts that could fail.
What he said. This is a common conversation on the JK forums.
Also will add that you should have the torque on the adapters(spacers) checked ever time the tires are rotated at a minimum.

You also run the chance of tire shops refusing to mount your rims back on with the adapters in place. Make sure you find an adapter friendly shop. If it i a chain store(discount for example), don't be surprised if they flip flop on that issue from time to time as managers swap out.

At the end of the day the wheels with proper backspacing can save you headaches in some ways, but they still cause the extra strain on the ball joints.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make an offer.. Remember I have shipping to you too. I make no guarantees on it as it has sat in freezing garage all winter, not sure that would do anything to it, BUT???? If you get it and it does not work for some reason I'll take care of you..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts