Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma. I own a 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro in Inferno. I am being tempted into buying a Tan and Black 2017 Ram Rebel. I test drove a white one and liked it.

So, honest opinions here. What would you do?

Pros.. Toyota is very dependable. It goes anywhere.
Cons.. It sucks fuel like Oprah on a canned ham.

Pros. Ram is a good looking and a nice riding truck, better gas mileage. Lots of bells and whistles.
Cons.. not so sure about the air ride suspension. Lots of small things to go wrong.

So, any opinions?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I was in the same boat when I was looking for a new truck. I was looking at a TRD, Power wagon and a Rebel. I ended up buying the Rebel because it road the best. I also liked the air suspension as I tow trailers and haul and like the idea of load leveling suspension. As far as the the longevity of the suspension, air suspension systems aren't new technology. Also, jeep has been putting them in their Grand Cherokees for years. Yes, there is more that can go wrong but for me the adjustability and function of the air ride system out weighs the potential issues down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are a lot of things that can go wrong on anything. Dependable? I've owned a 2001 Dodge RAM for over 15 years, muded it, trail rode it and beat the crap out of it in the Minnesota winters. I sure would think the newer ones are as good if not better...
As for Air suspension: yes: Dodge have used it for many years, are they doing it right? I don't think so. There are better systems out there. But what they have seems to work. I definitely like it when the truck is low when I load it with bikes (the ones with a motor).

Besides: you asking this kind of question in a Rebel forum tells me you've already made your choice. :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love my Rebel, BUT don't be fooled by the "ESTIMATED" MPG on the window sticker!!!!

Once you get a taste of HEMI power and sound you'll get addicted....just ask ANYONE on this forum. Your potential new Rebel will be right next to other TRD Pro's....in line the the fuel station.

That said, I wouldn't trade my thirsty Rebel for any other!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had narrowed my choice down to the the Tundra 1794 and Ram 1500 Sport but once i saw the Rebel I was sold! From what i hear Toyota motors are reliable and the truck holds its resale value. Look, no disrespect to how others purchase their vehicles but any vehicle you purchase will depreciate in value and rate at which each vehicle depreciates will vary but at the end they all drop significantly. I would not focus on it.

As for reliability, anything mechanical will eventually break down and during it's course of life will require service. As long as you keep up with your maintenance you lower the risk of something major to happen with your truck. Also depends on how you drive as well. I had a 2005 Ford F150 Lariat and it took me 7 years and 150k miles without any major motor issue. All the while people scream "Found On Road Dead." Don't believe the hype. Motors these days are built to last, the hemi is in like every dodge model i looked at. The motor is tried and proven.

These trucks are built on an assembly line and at times something may not work correctly i.e. i got my hemi on March 7 and the rear dome light does not work. Guess what. I am replacing it tomorrow and i'm moving on. As for the air suspension. DO NOT BUY A TRUCK WITHOUT IT. The tundra gave me motion sickness while i was test driving. The Rebel's 4-corner air suspension is worth every penny. It's a standard option on the Rebel. I have three girls and we are going on a long trip into vegas and arizona and they only want to go in the RAM b/c of the super comfortable ride.

Lastly, i'm a truck guy since i was a little kid playing with Tonka trucks. If you purchase the rebel you will find that the exterior and interior is very refined. Mind you I am coming from uber luxury vehicles and i was very impressed with the materials used in the RAM vs Tundra. I think if you purchase the Tundra you will end up spending a lot more money raising it, getting wheels etc (which in fact do nothing for resale value).

In conclusion, if you purchase the Rebel you will have no regrets. just make sure you purchase a Hemi and not the V6 Pentastar (i had the v6 and traded it in or the v8 after 12 months). Talk about loss from depreciation. :)

My two cents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think some have misunderstood. I currently own the 2015 TRD Pro. I was thinking of trading it in on the Rebel.

I think I have decided that I only want the tan and black or the red and black Rebel. Just haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think some have misunderstood. I currently own the 2015 TRD Pro. I was thinking of trading it in on the Rebel.

I think I have decided that I only want the tan and black or the red and black Rebel. Just haven't found one yet.
Then, go to your closest dealer and order it. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was in a similar boat, but I was comparing all full size trucks. I eliminated the Tundra TRD Pro from my decision making process because I did not feel it was a good value for what I was paying. The Tundra felt cheap and apparently its difficult to order a TRD Pro according to all my local dealers. The interior was all hard plastic, feels like my old 03 Ram 1500. Just my opinion. I was able to negotiate 13% dealer discount off MSRP plus any\all factory rebates when my special order comes in. After everything was said and done, it came out to about 22% off of MSRP plus tax tag and title for a special ordered truck, not some old stock sitting on the dealers lot. No other manufacturer had such aggressive pricing on an ordered truck, it made the decision very easy.

On a side note, I also considered the power wagon, but I picked the rebel because of its highway manners. Acceleration and comfort was so much better than the power wagon, the difference was unreal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
go on auto-trader and find the deals on this truck. That's how i found mine. $54k sticker purchased for $42,600 from a dealer 40 miles from where i live. I also did the entire transaction over the phone. Went in only to pick up the truck. I also traded in my 2015 Rebel v6. They did the trade without looking at the truck b/c it was only 12 months old and had only 11k miles on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts