Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen a lot of discussions on proper tire inflation. We often have a lot of different views on what's best. But most of us aren't experts. I just did some reading and thought I'd share results. All the experts say to keep your tires inflated to the vehicle maker's specifications, as directed on the sticker in your truck's tire information placard on your door jam. By experts, I'm referring to the tire making industry itself, the experts in the tires. I've linked some of those recommendations here:

Tire Industry Association (TIA) - The Tire Industry Association (TIA) is an international non-profit association representing all segments of the tire industry, including those that manufacture, repair, recycle, sell, service or use new or retreaded tires, and also those suppliers or individuals who furnish equipment, material or services to the industry. TIA is the leading authority in the tire industry for advocacy and training. TIA has over 7,000 members from all 50 states and around the globe.

Rubber Manufacturers' Association (RMA) [you can get their brochure on tire safety for free, but you have to go through their shopping cart system] - The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), originally named the Rubber Club of America, was established in 1915 to serve rubber products manufacturers. Since its inception, RMA has evolved and now solely represents tire manufacturers that produce tires in the U.S.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) - the government body making national recommendations

In addition, every tire manufacturer I checked with - Toyo, BFG, Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, etc. They all say the same thing. Michelin even goes so far as to state: Compare the measured psi to the psi found on the sticker inside the driver’s door of your vehicle or in owner’s manual. DO NOT compare to the psi on your tire’s sidewall.

When you oversize tires, you can get similar information from the load tables offered by the tire maker. For example, Nitto's load tables are readily found here.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I work in the tire industry and there are a lot of inconsistencies with tire psi/ and load handling. The best thing to do is follow TIA and RMA standards. Good post...everyone upsizing should read this.

Reactions: johnj
1 - 2 of 2 Posts