Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried to upload a couple of pics of my truck and all of them show up upside down. What am i doing wrong? I attached one to this thread, and have no idea how to flip it around.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's the format your iphone is using (EXIF). It's saving the pics by writing them in rows of pixels, but starting from the bottom. Then it tags the metadata in the pic to tell it which side of the pic goes up. Not all forum software works correctly with that, though. You can google this all and find a lot of options for fixing it. Such as turning the phone upside down.

·
Administrator
143 Posts
Are you using iphone? I've seen a similar issue with this before, and the iphone does have "right side up" to it. If the volume buttons are facing the ground when you take the photos, this is recorded as being "right side up". Apple products auto-orient any photos.

This is all moot if you aren't using iphone though. Getting a little ahead of myself

Kevin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm using an iPhone. I'll try holding with the volume buttons down and see how that works. However, this is happening when I hold the phone upright. The pics are correct when I drag and drop on my desktop, but they flip when uploaded to the forum. Weird, but I'll give your idea a shot, too. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben, am I opening the pic witching the gallery on this Forum, or somewhere else? I don't see the function on this forum to flip the pic. It looks correct on my home computer, but flips in this site. You clearly figured it out, but I still don't see where to do that. And thanks for the help, wish I were a little more tech savvy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Kerster, depends on what OS you're running on your desktop. With Windows, use file explorer, open the folder where the pic is, then double click the pic, your photo viewer will open it automatically and you can rotate it. If it already appears to have the correct rotation, then rotate it right once (or left) and then back. That program automatically rewrites the file each time you rotate it, so it will store the file with the "normal" row/column orientation.

This gets pretty annoying if you have a lot of photos to fix, though. Picasa or tools like that are much easier for bulk fixes. Select all the files at once, then do the rotations.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Are you using iphone? I've seen a similar issue with this before, and the iphone does have "right side up" to it. If the volume buttons are facing the ground when you take the photos, this is recorded as being "right side up". Apple products auto-orient any photos.

This is all moot if you aren't using iphone though. Getting a little ahead of myself

Kevin
Yes, I looked at the EXIF info stored in the pic. He's using an iphone 6.

Actually, the iphone just stores the image in a particular direction every time it takes the picture, to make the storage process simple and fast. What makes it "right side up" is the iphone (and almost all digital cameras and smartphones) also write into the EXIF metadata in the image file. The info is called the "orientation tag" and it allows for 8 possible orientations.

Most systems will correctly translate EXIF and show the pics in the correct orientation. This includes applications for Windows, Linux, MacOS, and IOS. The real problem in this case is the web browser, which is ignoring the EXIF orientation "tag" to orient the file correctly. They treat the image as a "blob" when loading it, displaying it in the orientation in which the data is stored. There are some good reasons for doing this.

Knowing this, a lot of web tools will read the tag, then transmit the file by the correct order to show correctly on the browser. For example, there are special javascript libraries to do this. But not every web site is built on such tools.

·
Administrator
143 Posts
Yes, I looked at the EXIF info stored in the pic. He's using an iphone 6.

Actually, the iphone just stores the image in a particular direction every time it takes the picture, to make the storage process simple and fast. What makes it "right side up" is the iphone (and almost all digital cameras and smartphones) also write into the EXIF metadata in the image file. The info is called the "orientation tag" and it allows for 8 possible orientations.

Most systems will correctly translate EXIF and show the pics in the correct orientation. This includes applications for Windows, Linux, MacOS, and IOS. The real problem in this case is the web browser, which is ignoring the EXIF orientation "tag" to orient the file correctly. They treat the image as a "blob" when loading it, displaying it in the orientation in which the data is stored. There are some good reasons for doing this.

Knowing this, a lot of web tools will read the tag, then transmit the file by the correct order to show correctly on the browser. For example, there are special javascript libraries to do this. But not every web site is built on such tools.
Great explanation :) It is unfortunate that not every site has these tools. Forums are among those sites. The team is on the lookout for a modification that will allow the software to read these codes for you, but as yet, there haven't been any that don't break a lot of other features we use.

As mentioned earlier, on iPhones, the volume buttons facing down is the 'correct' orientation. For Androids, the home button should be to the right.

Opening it in an editing program is your best bet to get it sorted, if you'd rather not think about which way to hold your phone when taking the picture (like me) :)

Thanks all

Dayle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts