Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help. I know there are a few threads about mufflers and exhaust, but couldn't find an answer. What is the difference, if any, between the Flowmater American Thunder direct fit muffler and a 50HD? When I searched Flowmaster's website, all I can find is that listed under the American Thunder cat back system it says the muffler system is a 50HD. If that's the case, is the only difference that the American Thunder is a direct fit and the "standard" 50HD is universal and will need addtl piping, brackets, hangers, etc? I have a local truck accessory and customizing shop quoting me $250 installed for the 50. If they are the same, I would much rather have him install the 50 rather than spend $350+ plus labor to install, or taking the time to do it myself. Not sure if $250 is a good price, but it beats $350 - $400. Any help would be appreciated.

While I'm posting, I know many opinions on other threads have been given on which muffler is the best. I am going to choose between the 50 and the Magnaflow 18". I'll take opinions on this as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the American Thunder direct fit and installed it myself. I bought it from the Flowmaster website and it was one of two direct fit options that came up. Not sure of the difference between it and the 50hd, so you may be right on the install being the difference. It was fun installing it myself and I can always go back to stock, not sure why I would, but maybe the next owner will like that one day. I'm very happy with it and it is not as loud as the 40 series I had years ago. This makes my wife happy, but me as well since it has a deeper sound on a cold start and when accelerating, but still quiet when cruising. Good luck, I don't think you will go wrong either way you go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So Kerster, did you get the cat-back system or just the muffler replacement?
I only ordered the direct fit muffler, not the cat back system. It was relatively easy to install, although i was lying on my back in the garage, but getting the pipes lined back up straight out the back was the toughest part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kertster, thanks for your input. After much back and forth, and I mean back and forth, I ultimately decided on the Magnaflow 18". I feel it sounds great. But like you said, can't go wrong with either Magnaflow or Flowmaster, both sound awesome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kertster, thanks for your input. After much back and forth, and I mean back and forth, I ultimately decided on the Magnaflow 18". I feel it sounds great. But like you said, can't go wrong with either Magnaflow or Flowmaster, both sound awesome.
Good stuff, glad you found what you wanted. These forums are great for getting thoughts/help/insight from others, so I'm glad I could help a little bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts