Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2017 Rebel two days ago. It had 112 miles at pick up and I am now over 200 miles. I have noticed a horrible MPG. I understand it’s a 5.7 liter Hemi and it will eat fuel up fast, but I'm averaging 14.5 mpg and that's highway/city street/rural roads. Is there a break in period where I will see a decrease in MPG and then eventually see it get better?

A side note, it’s been in the low 20's in the morning time and evening when I am commuting mostly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Many of us have seen a little better mileage after the 3,000 mile point. Generally, people seem to run about 16 before then, and about 17 after. In winter, of course, that drops some because of fuel additives.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'd say your mpg is pretty normal for the amount of miles that you have on your truck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
420 miles on mine-mpg about the same as yours-hard to stay out of the throttle!
I hear you there... Its so hard not to floor it while passing some knuckle head on the highway going way under the speed limit. I am so impressed with the low end torque and the loud rumble of the exhaust. FCA did good with the stock exhaust in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I hear you there... Its so hard not to floor it while passing some knuckle head on the highway going way under the speed limit. I am so impressed with the low end torque and the loud rumble of the exhaust. FCA did good with the stock exhaust in my opinion.
I agree with the good sounding exhaust. I had a 2003 Ram with the Hemi and it sounded terrible. Nothing beats duals from the factory either.

Reactions: Meeko

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I have about 1,000 miles on mine (2016 Mopar 16 Rebel) right now and I averaging about 15-16 mpg. It's winter and still breaking in, so I hope it gets better. My 2014 Sport was averaging around 17-18 in the winter and 19-20 in the summer....it had 35,000 miles when I traded it in last month.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That sounds about like what I get. I have about 3k on my 2016 Rebel. It’s a lot better than my 2004 5.7 Hemi Sport. I also know that idling KILLS your mpg. Lots of stop lights and acceleration from a stop will bring mine down to 13/14. At trains, I kill the motor. Coasting to yellow/red lights helps too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have about 12500KM on mine so close to 8000miles and im averaging 10l/100km or 23mpg

im running 35s, magnaflow exhaust and hooker headers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was terrible at about 13mpg average the first 3000 miles and then I started reading about the tire pressures....my dealer had set mine at 50psi all the way around. I put them at the proper 55/45 front and rear and holy cow, my avg mpg went up to 17.5mpg immediately....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine was terrible at about 13mpg average the first 3000 miles and then I started reading about the tire pressures....my dealer had set mine at 50psi all the way around. I put them at the proper 55/45 front and rear and holy cow, my avg mpg went up to 17.5mpg immediately....

Just raised mine.... Only 380 miles on it... 12.9 mpg... Hopefully with the increased air pressure the mpg will come up...

·
Read Only
108 Posts
14.5 isn't bad. I'm at 7,000 miles since October with a average of 12.5-13. My ecoboost was 11.5-12.5 average over 67,000 miles. Both trucks get 11.5 city - 20 highway mpg so you can't expect 4 cylinder MPGS out of a big truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am seeing the exact same thing. 400 miles on mine and on the second tank of gas. For the first tank it was at 12.5 average. I ran it till I lost the miles to empty reading and put 93 octane in it which i will run for the first 3,000 miles during the break in. Reset it and am almost 1/4 through the second tank and it's at 14.5. I also have a K&N 63 series on it. I definitely did not expect to be in the 14's with 93 and an intake and I am not driving it any different on this tank than I did my 2011 sierra 1500 5.3 with 90,000 and averaged 17 for about the last 5,000 miles before I traded it in. I even pulled the battery cables to reset the computer for the intake change.

It's nothing that I'm going to lose sleep over but I am not impressed from the standpoint that it's a new truck that has the same mpg rating as my 2011 GMC with 90,000 miles. Hopefully it improves over the next couple of months.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I do to get and stay in the 16s is to COAST! When I see a light turn yellow in front of me, my foot comes off the gas. I maintain interval between me and the vehicle in front of me by coasting, not braking. I use down hills to my advantage.

That being said, I still get it on. I just take the most advantage of the times when I don't need the pedal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On thing about the MDS, either you get very good or very poor mileage. I have about 1k miles on my Rebel and I am averaging about 16 mpg which is not where I expect it to be.

One thing I have noticed with the rebel is that slow acceleration seems to eat fuel, if you go ahead and accelerate to the speed you want to cruise at, it gives the MDS a chance to do its thing longer. Also if you use cruise control on every opportunity or select the fuel MPG gauge in the cluster and watch it, it seems that the throttle is very sensitive to touch. You can be pushing on the throttle and not speeding up and I have noticed low MPG during this time, but if you let up slightly the MPG will go up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another thing to try is set your suspension to normal. I have had mine in aero mode since new. Last tank I changed it to normal and got my best tank yet at 20.1 mpg. Doesn't make sense but it happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was getting an average of 12.6 MPG with 2000 miles on the truck. I recently moved to Central Florida just east of Ocala. Within 2 tanks of gas up here I am averaging 16.4. I don't think it is done climbing yet. That stop and go traffic and traffic lights so close together must have been killing my MPG in South Florida...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Stop and go traffic is very bad for mileage. You spend too much of your time accelerating.

High speeds are, too. You lose a lot of economy driving at speeds above 60 mph.

A Bugatti Veyron will run 254 mph, but will blow through a tank of gas in about 15 minutes doing it because of the tremendous horsepower needed to fight that much air drag. So you only get about 64 miles out of a tank at that speed. The Veyron has a 26.5 gallon tank. That translates to 2.4mpg at top speed. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stop and go traffic is very bad for mileage. You spend too much of your time accelerating.

High speeds are, too. You lose a lot of economy driving at speeds above 60 mph.

A Bugatti Veyron will run 254 mph, but will blow through a tank of gas in about 15 minutes doing it because of the tremendous horsepower needed to fight that much air drag. So you only get about 64 miles out of a tank at that speed. The Veyron has a 26.5 gallon tank. That translates to 2.4mpg at top speed. :)
But it has to be a REALLY fun 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts