Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I just ordered my 2016 Rebel this week. I was told I may have to wait up to 12 weeks for my loaded red Rebel. I'm ok for the wait as I didn't trade my Chevy Avalanche, so in the mean time I'll still drive her.
Today I just found this forum.... looks cool with some interesting threads. Ie; lifts and 35" tires..... food for thought??!!
Question..... what were if any in regards to changes from 2015 to 2016? My dealer wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Pretty much the 16's just have less warranty from the factory. Slight differences in headlights bezel colors but I know some 15's also had chrome bezels. Bed lighting is avail. for the 16's as well but it could easily be added to the 15's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, It is an 05 Avalanche, and sorry to say I had to replace the tranny. Other than that it's in great shape, my daughter will get it and I'll drive the Rebel!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any know what would be the best roof rails I could have installed as I need to have roof racks with long cross bars. I used Yakima in the past on the Avalanche and Tahoe. The reason I need rails is so the rack system is bomber! I carry many white water kayaks on top and I can afford to have the system fail when I'm off road when that top load gets bouncing. Before 08 and GM had more $$$$ I was in a number of photo shoots for Chevy Insider. Now times have changed I'll soon by driving a Ram. Oh well that's what happens when you fall behind!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't think it's all that common to see a Ram with roof rails. No idea where to even being looking for a set. Does Yakima not have what you need?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been slowly moving a head on the rail issue. The one dealership I went into was clueless on how to install, even more clueless on which were the right more rails. So I went to a custom shop, did some measurements on the crew cab. Done, I've now got the cart before the horse. As it would have it, Chevy's Avalanche rails will fit, we'll have to take down the roof liner and do some small custom fastening from up inside. From there I'll install the Vakima racks or cross bars. Now I wait for the horse!!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've been slowly moving a head on the rail issue. The one dealership I went into was clueless on how to install, even more clueless on which were the right more rails. So I went to a custom shop, did some measurements on the crew cab. Done, I've now got the cart before the horse. As it would have it, Chevy's Avalanche rails will fit, we'll have to take down the roof liner and do some small custom fastening from up inside. From there I'll install the Vakima racks or cross bars. Now I wait for the horse!!!!
Keep us updated on how this goes. :D
Will be great info for anyone who was looking for rails but unable to find any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Learning more every day! I've found out I do not need to go inside and drop the ceiling liner. Thank goodness, it had me concerned! I've found a company with a process that installs an anchor system from the top to which the rails attach to. At that point the cross bars and towers attach to those rails. I've always been a fan of Yakima with their round tube cross bars bars unlike Thule that uses square tubes. The only problem with round tubes is a noise at higher speeds. That can be eliminated with defectors. Another reason I like Yakima is the length of the cross bars, I use 78" thus I can carry either two canoes, three touring kayaks or 4 white water kayaks on their sides with a vertical stacker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you simply modify a Back Rack that bolts to the front of the bed with extensions that go over the roof slightly? It would be cleaner and won't require any cab modifications to do it this way.

Not trying to stir up anything, but if it was me trying to do this I would look at that sort of option vice punching any holes in the roof; cause Murphy has nothing on me! If there was a 1% chance of it leaking, I would be in that group. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your suggest is a good one and one I thought about before ordering the truck. The problem being I wanted the Ram Box and the hard tonneau cover and with those two options there was one way I could install a box mounted rack system to carry the boats. So a roof mounted system was my only option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts