Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this being my first full sized truck I'm having a ton of issues parking in small parking areas. What are some methods you all use when parking to avoid hitting something? (I have no back-up cam)

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
You'll get use to it! I've driven full size trucks since day one but I can imagine it's an adjustment for most. I would suggest parking in spots that you can pull through, that way it will save you from going into reverse. Also, I tend to back into spots quite a bit as I find that it makes some parking situations easier to handle. You'll just want to be careful backing up into a spot...I guess I am spoiled as I have a back up cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an EcoDiesel 6'4" bed crew cab. It's as long as the 1500 gets. I just park in a spot far away if spots aren't big enough. I have a backup cam and front and rear sensors, though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
For me, it's not the parking, it's what the clowns around me do when I'm not in the truck. I've come back to find that people have parked over their lines and way too close in front or back when parallel parking, making it really hard to get out of my space. And lost of people park badly in lots, leaving you with little room to get into your vehicle. Plus there are all the door dings you get in parking lots....

I usually park out a ways past other vehicles, and I pull through one space into the next. When parallel parking, I prefer end spaces if they're available so I'm not boxed in by someone that shouldn't have a driver's license.

I'm of the firm opinion that about 50% of driver's licenses should be revoked, just based on inability to park.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its definitely been a huge adjustment so far I have been backing in unless I have enough room to just turn right in. I think my biggest issue is knowing how much room I have left in front and behind me. That and miscalculating the turn in all together taking me a few rounds to get it in. But man I'm loving this truck we just got snow today and it handled it with ease.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a Silverado 1500 years ago and hit two cars without every touching my gas pedal. One, a Miata was parked behind me and a little to the right, so i actually couldn't see it out of my driver side rear view mirror, or my rear view mirror inside. So i put it into reverse and immediately crunched the hood. This happened in a driveway of a house under construction, so people were around, but i never saw the little car. So lesson #1 for me, check all mirrors when backing up without a back-up camera.

My second time i was backing out of a spot and someone driving through the lot was just too far over to my side. I tended to just ease out slowly and let people see/hear me coming, but it didn't happen this time. That jackleg didn't pay attention and my bumper hit his rear quarter-panel.

So, my biggest lessons learned were to check all mirrors and back up slowly...apparently idling out was too fast! Now, 10+ years later, i have a back-up camera and use it all the time to back into spots because it's easier to make the turns that way, and then i drive straight out. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you're really concerned about backing up you can always lower the tailgate to see, too. That's not always the best option, but it is useful in some conditions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
One guy I know uses a hitch ball as his cheat code to parking, the only downside is of course it doesn't protect the sides. Still great if your reverse parking and have some barrier you'll come close to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the hitch ball use to kinda be the thing that hits first verses the bumper. So far I have been doing ok I still mis-judge backing up by a long shot so its def a work in process. I haven't had to chance to do to much city parking yet also, but I'm definitely getting a little better.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's all about depth perception. Yeah, the hitch ball would hit the obstacle first, if it's sticking out past your bumper. Unless you're at an angle, or off-center, or the ball is above or below the obstacle. A bit of a hit-or-miss approach sometimes.

We used to show guys how to back up using a 6' bicycle flag stuck on a piece of board. You know, a lightweight upright fiberglass whip with a little flag way on top - you normally put them on bicycles or atv's for visibility. If you can't see the obstacle, like a car, you set that board on the ground a half a foot in front of it. Flag sticks up above the tailgate, where you can see it. If you bump the flag, you're still a bit away from the obstacle. Some of these are folding or telescoping whips, you can just toss it in the truck until you need it, or use it for practice at home until you're more confident.

You can also just buy one of the clip-on, stick-on, bold-on, or license plate frame remote backup cameras. Some are bluetooth and work with your cell phone. Others come with their own monitor. Some examples here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
1. Park away from other vehicles.
2. Pull through the space if you can, but not if you have to load something afterwards. Someone will invariably park behind you impeding loading.
3. Back in. I lower the side mirror and watch the line to put it straight in. Ram's forward turning radius is similar to that of a shrimp boat. Backing is actually easier.
4. Practice (a lot) of parallel parking. You'll get to where you nail it every time (the space, not the vehicle in front of/behind you).
5. Create your own parking space where parking on the off-areas (grass, etc.) is allowed. It is a truck, afterall. The world is your parking space.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've definitely been practicing a lot and generally try to park away from other vehicles till I can get the swing of things. I have noticed I still over or under shoot the spot when attempting to back into a parking spot. I'll have to try the flag trick for estimating the distance behind and in front of the truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts