Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you rebel owners been having highway vibration/shake? Especially those running a heavier tire? Tires have been balanced/road force balanced and have swapped tires multiple times. It's a big issue with non-rebel air ride 1500s and 2500s I suspect from the inadequate rear shocks. I'm meeting with a chrysler engineer but I'm hoping that swapping for the rebel bilstein shocks will cure my problem. Would love any feedback! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
I haven't had any issues as of yet with mine (25k on her). I also haven't heard too many people saying they have a vibration issue. Have you tried bringing your vehicle to another shop for them to check balance? I work in a tire shop and can tell you that a balance job is only as good as the tech doing the work. Also, balance machines do fail and need to be recalibrated every once in a while.

Also, when they were road force balanced, there is a chance that the machine noticed a run out or a high/low spot in the wheel and a high/low spot in the tire. At this point, the proper way to balance the wheel would be to dismount the tire and rotate it on the rim according to what the run out is on the balancer. Maybe the tech didn't do it for you as he or she would have started over again with that wheel.

·
Registered
660 Posts
In my experience, which is *not* to be confused with an expert opinion, shock vibration is usually just after you hit a bump, where the shock is failing and not damping correctly. But I've never had a steady vibration that was resolved by changing shocks. It was usually tires, and in two cases axle bearings failing. And I have had a bad balancing job done a couple of times and had to have it redone.

I have had bad shocks, brake warps, worn ball joints, bent tie rod, and bad cv joints over the years and vehicles. None of them produced a constant vibration on the road, each caused vibrations at specific times and activities, like under acceleration, turning, or braking.
@lmeavtitn is probably right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried 3 different sets of tires, road force balanced on different machines at different shops. All with the same result. The ride is smooth for a couple hundred miles before the highway vibration kicks in. The drivetrain has been inspected. I went in to discuss the issue with the service manager at my local Ram dealership and he described the issue even before I could elaborate on what I had done... balance the tires and all is good for a couple hundred miles. He said he has a ton of owners with the same complaints. Also, if you look on RAM forums, there are piles of owners with the same issue, specifically air suspension 1500s and 2500s.

The theory is, the OEM shocks are too weak to steady the tires once they go just slightly out of balance. There are also youtube videos where owners stick GoPros under the rear suspension and you can see the shocks bouncing around like mad on a smooth highway. It's like 'the-tail-wagging-the-dog': the force of a heavier tire overwhelms the weak shocks, when it should be the other way around.

I'm now running the (not so great) Toyos with the rebel 17" so Ram can't say boo about the set up. I loved the BGF KO2s I had originally but they are a heavier tire and made the truck nearly undrive-able on the highway. Now, the ONLY hardware difference between my truck and a stock Rebel is the softer rear stabilizing bar (should have nothing to do with highway ride) and the bilstein shocks. I'll see tomorrow what the Chrysler engineer has to say but I have yet to come across this issue on a Rebel, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also suspect that Chrysler is too cheap to re-engineer the shocks for the air suspension and just reuses the shocks from the spring suspension (although I haven't confirmed that yet). The shocks should be valved completely differently for the air suspension but if they aren't, it would go a along way to explain this problem.

Rebel owners should consider yourself lucky to not have this issue.. I've spent an extra $2k on tires and a dozen trips to the tire shop trying to track this down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chrysler Engineer said the he is aware of the problem and that the only fix he knows of is to switch to a Michelin Highway tire. Ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
Chrysler Engineer said the he is aware of the problem and that the only fix he knows of is to switch to a Michelin Highway tire. Ridiculous.
That is crappy. Definitely not the answer I was expected FCA to say.

I also find it hard to believe switching tread designs will improve the problem you are having.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is crappy. Definitely not the answer I was expected FCA to say.

I also find it hard to believe switching tread designs will improve the problem you are having.
I don't think its so much the tread design as it is the overall weight of the tire and the rigidity; more plys, thicker sidewalls, etc. That's still a really disappointing response from Chrysler... to only have the option of running highway tires on a truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts