Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has done it, can you give me your positive and negative insight? What kit did you go with? What problems did you run into? Is the light output versus the stock light output worth the change? Will the HID damage the stock headlight housing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
When I first got my Rebel I tried it but I had tons of issues. It would flicker and I would get "bulb out" messages on my dash. When I tried it, '15 model years were new and they did something different in the CANBUS system. I ended up just putting my factory bulbs back in and didn't every try again. I know there are kits that work for 15 and newer models though!

I did an HID conversion on my 14 Sport and it worked flawlessly. I didn't have any issues but I also just did 35 watt. I have heard of people getting higher wattage kits and melting their housings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a 55 watt HID kit in my 2014 Sport for over 2 yrs without a single issue. I'm about to buy the Diode Dynamics HID kit. You need to buy the anti-flicker module too though. You don't need to get that ridiculous wiring harness anymore. Lots of guys are running them on the 2015+ Ram without any flickering or bulb out warnings, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, not sure on the brand of the HID kit I had installed on my rebel, however, is the same I had on my grand caravan and I have to say that the difference is night and day! The output on the grand caravan was incredible lighting up the road. Turning night into day, cutting through fog and so on. I expected the same on the rebel instead, I got cool looking 6k lights that do not do much but look nice. In fact just added a light bar to help with the lack of lighting I now have. I was told the rams lense is absorbing most of the light. I put that to the test and it was true.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, not sure on the brand of the HID kit I had installed on my rebel, however, is the same I had on my grand caravan and I have to say that the difference is night and day! The output on the grand caravan was incredible lighting up the road. Turning night into day, cutting through fog and so on. I expected the same on the rebel instead, I got cool looking 6k lights that do not do much but look nice. In fact just added a light bar to help with the lack of lighting I now have. I was told the rams lense is absorbing most of the light. I put that to the test and it was true.
It has a lot to do with the quality of the kit you have. I cheaper ballast will struggle to put out the correct, stable power needed. A 6k HID bulb will look very blue in one kit, but take that same bulb and it would look pure light in another. I've had really good luck in the Ram oem projectors with top notch aftermarket HID kits. You are definitely the 1st one I've heard since 2013 that has said this about adding a HID kit to the Ram's projectors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Take the time to do a search here and other ram sites and you will find a lot of information in hid upgrades, as this has been asked many times. I installed my kit from The Retrofit Source, and they work great. Go with the 35 watt 5500K color kit you will really like them. The ram lit comes with a relay harness, resistors, and a anti-flicker module. This is almost plug and play, no wires need to be cut and spliced, just need to mount the parts, and drill a hole in the back cover of the lights to run the wires through.The 55 watt kits are good also, but you will get a little more light, but they do not last as long. I like the 5 year warranty that came with mine.

Reactions: HemiRebel

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with the LED Kit that Amazon has listed and I love it. Since I just joined this forum and this is my first post, it won't let me post the link. But it's the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulb Kit for the low beams. Says it's a 9005 60W 6K Cool White. Hopefully I'll be able to post links soon :/. Completely plug and play and virtually matches the fog lights... Just another option for you :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went with the LED Kit that Amazon has listed and I love it. Since I just joined this forum and this is my first post, it won't let me post the link. But it's the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulb Kit for the low beams. Says it's a 9005 60W 6K Cool White. Hopefully I'll be able to post links soon :/. Completely plug and play and virtually matches the fog lights... Just another option for you :)
I've been part of a very long thread on a differenet Ram forum about the Opt7 Fluxbeam LED lights (and all LED headlights actaully). Though they look really bright when staring at them from the front, they do not throw much light down the road. Most say they are worse than the oem halogens for usable light at night. Guys who had bought them are taking them off and replacing them with HIDs. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here is a photo showing the stock light on the right, and HID light on the left. I like the color difference plus with the low / high beam shutter inside of the light, the HID has the same cutoff line as the stock bulb so you do not blind on coming traffic.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts