Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a ham radio and roof mounted antenna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum.
I am thinking about installing my Ham radio and a roof top antenna.
Could you describe how you mounted the antenna and how you routed the feed coax to the dash area.
Maybe some images of your installation.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the ham radio install? Just curious.
I have been a ham operator since 1980, and there is a group of us that I talk with every day. It is a great hobby if you are into radio communications. My wife thinks I am crazy to punch a 3/4" hole in all of the trucks I have had. And the style on mount I use is a very low profile that can be used for anything from cell phone antenna, to police antennas.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am new to this forum.
I am thinking about installing my Ham radio and a roof top antenna.
Could you describe how you mounted the antenna and how you routed the feed coax to the dash area.
Maybe some images of your installation.
Thanks
Dave
Dave, I do not have any photos of the antenna, but installing the antenna is very easy. Just make sure you have a hole saw that is exactly 3/4" diameter. I pulled down the front console that has the doam lights to get a measurement on where the roof center brace is to make sure I stayed away from it. When I found where it is, I measured 24 inches back from the front of roof where it meets the windshield on top of the truck, This put the antenna about 2" in front of the brace. Then I measured from each side of the roof to find the center point. Then drilled the hole and removed the burrs. You want to use a Motorola style NMO antenna mount. The antenna mount goes in from the outside, then feed the coax into the opening to the console. Then remove the front left A pillar by removing the two bolts under the covers, then take a fiberglass wand or coat hanger with the end rounded and push it from the a pillar to the opening to pull the coax through. Sounds like a lot of work, but it will go real quick after the hole is drilled.
Just to make sure of the hole location, after you mark the roof, push down on it a little to make sure it is not hitting the center brace. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting ready to do the same, but I've got the sunroof.
Thought I'd remove the brake light in the rear of the roof and retract the sunroof fully.

I know I won't be able to get anywhere near the middle (front to back), but that's about the best I can do.
Having done this, do you have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Getting ready to do the same, but I've got the sunroof.
Thought I'd remove the brake light in the rear of the roof and retract the sunroof fully.

I know I won't be able to get anywhere near the middle (front to back), but that's about the best I can do.
Having done this, do you have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon
Brandon, If you can get to bottom of the roof between the headliner from the rear light or through a side pillar, you should be good to go if you use a NMO style antenna mount, because it is only about 3/8" high inside of the roof. I used a 3/4" hole saw with tape around the outside of it with 1/4" of the teeth showing to limit the depth of the saw. Then pull the coax through with a wire pulling rod. Just be sure you miss the edge of the roof support.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000594

1 - 7 of 7 Posts