Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally did myself a favor and got rid of my V6 Pentastar and picked up my V8 Hemi this evening. Just driving it home from the dealership 40 miles away was a thrill. Night and day difference between the V6 and V8.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice. Did you have a V-6 Rebel? What sort of highway mileage to you get. I have the Pentastar in a Grand Cherokee and it is OK but I can't imagine it in a full size truck. The GC gets good MPG but on the highway it is anemic with sort of a grocery getter personality. The Hemi will be a new world for you. Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
Good move going into a v8 in a full size truck! It will hold it's value better so you'll have a better resale value when you're ready to part with it. The power is MUCH better. I've never owned a v6 Ram but I have driven one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
V6 should not even be an option on such a heavy truck. Might as well drive a pinto and take 2 spark plugs out.

I digress... Congrats. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
V6 should not even be an option on such a heavy truck. Might as well drive a pinto and take 2 spark plugs out.

I digress... Congrats. :D

Good one... I think I read somewhere that the Pentastar is no longer available on the 2017 Rebels. I too have driven a Ram with the V-6, a test ride. It went ok here around town, it is pretty flat here, Not sure how it would be on the highway, with a heavy load or on the beach which is our offroad option locally.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade. I have never owned a 6 cylinder powered anything, except my Goldwing Motorcycle. >:)

·
Registered
660 Posts
We've owned several 6's. :) Most of them were great engines and did fine for the vehicle.

The good ones:
2006 BMW Z4 (3.0l 250hp)
2003 BMW 330xi (about 225 hp)
2000 BMW Z3 (2.8l 192hp)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0L 190hp)
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (3.0l 300hp twin turbo)
1968 Chevy C-20 (292ci)
1958 Dodge Power Wagon W300 (230 flathead, 99hp !!!!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone... yes i have been a member for some time now and enjoy this forum. I owned 2015 V6 pentastar. Look, for what its worth it was a good truck but just not what i am used to driving. for others it will fulfill a functional purpose. This truck is my daily driver and I thought the V6 would suffice for my need.

I can say that the V8 and V6 is night and day difference. I got my truck last night at 25 miles and took it straight to Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) and went up and down Orange County. Anyone who lives here understands the highway. The growl from the exhaust, throttle response etc.... just night and day difference!!!

So **** excited!!!! I will still never bash the v6's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ackrebel - Thanks. yes i owned a 2015 V6 Rebel. I got roughly 12 to 14 mpg driving in around town. I seldom drive on the freeway but when i did i got anywhere between 16 and 18 mpg.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brainless -- lol thanks. However, as i mentioned i will never bash on the V6. it is a good motor but weak for the truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ackrebel - Thanks. yes i owned a 2015 V6 Rebel. I got roughly 12 to 14 mpg driving in around town. I seldom drive on the freeway but when i did i got anywhere between 16 and 18 mpg.
My Hemi equipped Ram averages 12 around town and 16 to 17 on the highway cruising 75 ish. So not a lot of difference. I do notice that with both my Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar and the Rebel as the temp goes up so does the mileage. Most of my off island trips are during the winter months here in New England and it is cold. When the temps rise into the 40s and 50s the mileage climbs. When it is cold the GC gets around 21 or 22 mpg and two weeks ago covering the exact route with temp in the 40s I averaged almost 27. Doesn't look like you are giving up too much to drive the Hemi.

You are going to enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We've owned several 6's. :) Most of them were great engines and did fine for the vehicle.

The good ones:
2006 BMW Z4 (3.0l 250hp)
2003 BMW 330xi (about 225 hp)
2000 BMW Z3 (2.8l 192hp)
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0L 190hp)
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (3.0l 300hp twin turbo)
1968 Chevy C-20 (292ci)
1958 Dodge Power Wagon W300 (230 flathead, 99hp !!!!)

Had 6's too and like you say it is all about the vehicle it is in. My son had a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and that was a great engine in that car. Really went well on the highway. Years ago my work vans always had a six, at some point I tried an 8 and the mileage was the better and the truck was not nearly as anemic. I drove a Ram Crewcab with the V-6 and it did OK around town but I was not confident it would handle what I needed to do with the truck. Nice to have choices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[snip] it is a good motor but weak for the truck.
Exactly my point. :nerd:

V6 should not even be an option on such a heavy truck. [snip]

V6's are great when put into the right vehicle. It would even probably pass into an Express 2WD or a stripped down 2WD Big Horn. But the Rebel? The wheel and tire configuration alone tells you, it shouldn't be there. Rotational weight kills your power delivery.

I'm actually researching for lighter wheel/tire combo. The BFG KO2's are 2lbs heavier than the OEM tire.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ackrebel - that is very interesting. I lived in NJ for 35 years and never paid attention to weather and how it impacts the mileage. I now live in Southern California where the temperature, for the most part, stays constant but i will keep an eye out and try to see different trends.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brainless - you are right! Will not disagree!

Let me know what you find for lighter wheels. I was looking also for 20" and don't want to venture out of the factory spec for weight. I find it difficult to understand why wheel shops don't understand this fact. The sales guy was showing me all flashy wheels but when i start asking about comparison to factory spec i lost the guy! I agree that any additional unsprung weight has an adverse impact on mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts