Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum. Recently bought a '16 Rebel. Liking the truck except for a annoying rattle coming from the passenger side dash/glove box area. I finally tried to work on it today, it's been an issue since I took delivery last month...

I started by taking the top cover off of the upper glove box. When I squeezed it (while still attached) it mimicked the sound I had been hearing. But with the cover completely removed the test drive revealed the same noise. I then completely removed the entire bottom glove box...same noise occuring on the next test drive. With everything removed I pushed/pulled/shook everything in the area but still couldn't find anything loose.

I spent close to 2 hours but was never successful...

I know its a long shot that anyone has this issue but I thought I would throw it out there. My 2015 Express had a quieter interior than the Rebel...somewhat disappointed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A couple of ideas - long shots but... Was the truck new or used? If used perhaps the original owner did the cabin air filter mod and did not reinstall the lower glove box door properly? If the cord thingy on the side of the lower glove box door is not installed might that create a rattle by not tensioning the box door? Or maybe the factory did not install the door correctly. On later built 16's the filter door is installed but with no filter could the filter door be loose? Another idea might be to check the passenger side upper seat belt harness. When my wife releases the seat belt to exit the truck in the process the shoulder harness twists when she takes it off and the belt clip rattles against the door jamb. She does it every time, that creates a rattle that was making me crazy, I live on a dirt road and when I hit bumps I was getting this rattle. The first thing I checked was the contents of the glove boxes. Listened a bit more closely and then saw the twisted belt, rolled it over and noise was gone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a really annoying rattle behind my glove box, too, and could make it happen when I hit the dash above the glove box. It would rattle on some bumps, but not all. In the end, the dealership fixed it and I've been good ever since.

There is a piece of plastic at the top/rear of the passenger airbag that causes the sound. The tech removed both glove boxes and could reach behind the air bag housing and flip the plastic rim with his finger and it made the sound. He took a piece of rubber and basically siliconed/glued it in the small gap at the back and solved the problem. I hope this helps. It's hard the describe on here, but I may have had the same problem you described. The dealership searched my problem with Ram and the had a fix... so apparently I wasn't the first person with the issue.

Good luck and let me know if I can help any other way...or if we even have the same complaint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the great responses. I bought the truck new with 20 miles so I am leaning toward the airbag housing issue...I pulled the bottom box out completely for one of the many test drives but experienced the same noise.

Kertster, did the dealership happen to give you a ticket number of the prioblem by chance?

I haven't gone to the dealer yet but its due for its 1st service. I will have them look into the airbag housing.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you both for the great responses. I bought the truck new with 20 miles so I am leaning toward the airbag housing issue...I pulled the bottom box out completely for one of the many test drives but experienced the same noise.

Kertster, did the dealership happen to give you a ticket number of the prioblem by chance?

I haven't gone to the dealer yet but its due for its 1st service. I will have them look into the airbag housing.

Thank you again!
No, I didn't know to ask for a ticket number or I would have. I can get you in touch with the guys who fixed it if you can't run this down with your guys. He fixed it while I watched, so hopefully this won't take too long to solve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts