Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is a 2016 ram rebel, has 44k miles on it, had no issues with it for the first 20k miles, used it as a work truck, but I've never really offroaded it at all (aside from going in and out of wells at speeds lower than 8 mph), babied it from the start to be honest. Took it into the dealer today for work and found out both front shocks have gone bad.
Was quoted around $4000 to replace them, any advice? Planning on calling Chrysler customer support soon and seeing if they can assist with it.
I've had wheel bearings go bad, suspension bushings went bad, right front axle went bad, and my left rambox fractured from a 12" crescent wrench being in it.
Really thinking I've got a lemon :/ but at this mileage I'm sorta doomed, any advice is welcomed however.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Both the front air shocks went out? Like the air bags? Or the shocks? Or both?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the front air shocks went out? Like the air bags? Or the shocks? Or both?
The shocks that run through the bags went bad, but for some reason they designed it where when the shocks go bad you have to replace the whole airspring, instead of the just replacing the strut that runs though it, smh.
so basically my truck still looks level/airride still functions, but it takes bumps really really bad, even small cracks in the pavement feel like 3" deep potholes. :(

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hmm...this is interesting. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more insight on this!

I didn't know that the air bags have internal shocks that go through them. All the pictures I have seen of them online don't depict a shock that runs through the center of them.

I have replaced factory air suspension on a couple of other vehicles and haven't ever seen a shock that runs through the center of them. I've always assumed that's why even with the air suspension set up in our trucks, there are still shocks on the trucks and that the air bags just replaced the springs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...this is interesting. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more insight on this!

I didn't know that the air bags have internal shocks that go through them. All the pictures I have seen of them online don't depict a shock that runs through the center of them.

I have replaced factory air suspension on a couple of other vehicles and haven't ever seen a shock that runs through the center of them. I've always assumed that's why even with the air suspension set up in our trucks, there are still shocks on the trucks and that the air bags just replaced the springs.
You might know more about it than me then- I'm unfamiliar with air suspension, it makes no sense that the air ride still works good. But the shocks are bad.
Dealership told me the the left one was "completely drained" and the right one was "halfway bad".

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
You might know more about it than me then- I'm unfamiliar with air suspension, it makes no sense that the air ride still works good. But the shocks are bad.
Dealership told me the the left one was "completely drained" and the right one was "halfway bad".
Yeah, I'm not 100 percent sure on it either! But something definitely seems a little fishy with what the dealership is telling you. Maybe try bringing it to another dealership if you have multiple around you and see what they have to say.

On the plus side though, if you do need to replace the front bags, you could always get a lift spending that kind of money!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(slight update on the truck, it now makes a creaking noise from the shock area on large dips/bumps, like crossing railroad tracks, even if doing so slowly. I checked the mounts the other day, nothing is loose/or broken. the noise seems the be coming from the shocks themselves)

Sadly it isn't covered under warranty because of how high my mileage is from driving to work everyday.
Talked to FCA customer care today and things are looking hopeful. (gave me quite a few options- considering all the issues, and told me to figure out what I wanted them to do, and they'll call back later next week to find out my decision and to close the case) :)

It seems like they're being really nice and professional about it, so all I can do is hope and pray everything works out and they can resolve my issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So this is kind of my worry is the air suspension, maybe you guys can help , looking at buying the rebel but not sure if the air ride will work properly in the cold winter up here in northern alberta, also how are the bags protected if at all , will rocks and and other debris cause failure on them when they become brittle with the cold, just not sure how exactly they are made , hope this makes sense , I travel a lot of gravel roads and this is a worry

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
So this is kind of my worry is the air suspension, maybe you guys can help , looking at buying the rebel but not sure if the air ride will work properly in the cold winter up here in northern alberta, also how are the bags protected if at all , will rocks and and other debris cause failure on them when they become brittle with the cold, just not sure how exactly they are made , hope this makes sense , I travel a lot of gravel roads and this is a worry
I drive a bunch of gravel and "off the beaten path roads" as well and I haven't had any issues as of yet. I have 26k miles on my truck.

As far as air suspension technology, it isn't new. I have full faith in the air suspension bags themselves. I understand that everything is mechanical and there are always going to be certain trucks that have issues due to issues with parts from the factory. Shoot, 2 people at my work have grand cherokees with the factory air ride suspensions and they are both well over 80k. Granted, I know that we are talking different vehicles here, but I know there was some carry over technology between the platforms.

(slight update on the truck, it now makes a creaking noise from the shock area on large dips/bumps, like crossing railroad tracks, even if doing so slowly. I checked the mounts the other day, nothing is loose/or broken. the noise seems the be coming from the shocks themselves)

Sadly it isn't covered under warranty because of how high my mileage is from driving to work everyday.
Talked to FCA customer care today and things are looking hopeful. (gave me quite a few options- considering all the issues, and told me to figure out what I wanted them to do, and they'll call back later next week to find out my decision and to close the case) :)

It seems like they're being really nice and professional about it, so all I can do is hope and pray everything works out and they can resolve my issues.
I'm glad they are taking care of you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Still no news from FCA yet really, they said they want me to contact the dealership I bought it from to attempt a buy back, but my local dealership service manager is doubtful they'll actually do it, suggested for me to try to get FCA to assist financially with trading the truck in so I don't lose too much money.
left for work today, drove the speed limit and didn't pass anyone, neither did I go on any dirt or rough roads, got to a supply store to buy chemical for a well and saw oil droplets on my tailgate. I crawled underneath the truck and the back differential was scorching hot and had sprayed gear oil everywhere... the joy. -_-
The 6th major issue I've already had within 9 months of ownership....
I loved this truck, and I'm not gonna downtalk anyone else's, but this has become a nightmare :(

Downside of my job is that it may be a new truck but I'm leading the mileage on most rebels that are the same age.
Just hope mine's a lemon and no one else gets this surprise when they reach my mileage smh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Still no news from FCA yet really, they said they want me to contact the dealership I bought it from to attempt a buy back, but my local dealership service manager is doubtful they'll actually do it, suggested for me to try to get FCA to assist financially with trading the truck in so I don't lose too much money.
left for work today, drove the speed limit and didn't pass anyone, neither did I go on any dirt or rough roads, got to a supply store to buy chemical for a well and saw oil droplets on my tailgate. I crawled underneath the truck and the back differential was scorching hot and had sprayed gear oil everywhere... the joy. -_-
The 6th major issue I've already had within 9 months of ownership....
I loved this truck, and I'm not gonna downtalk anyone else's, but this has become a nightmare :(

Downside of my job is that it may be a new truck but I'm leading the mileage on most rebels that are the same age.
Just hope mine's a lemon and no one else gets this surprise when they reach my mileage smh.
That's terrible. I feel like a lot of Rebels had fit/finish issues. I feel like they were rushed to be built to get the Rebels out quick.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The rear diff has a recall, so you should be ok there. Regarding the air bag shocks(thingamajiggers), you have a few options-

For the price the dealer quoted you, you could replace the entire air suspension and get a 4" long arm NON-AIR suspension lift.

Another option would be to get a quote on a trade in. The Rebels seem to be holding their value right now. With RAM's current 20% off incentive, if you loose less than the cost of replacing the shocks, it's a win win. Since dealers want to SELL SELL SELL, they could be motivated to make a deal.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't drove the truck at all since yesterday, I looked up my state's lemon laws today, thankfully my state has no mileage limit for the lemon law.
With this next repair it should hopefully qualify for all the requirements.
If so, they are required to replace my vehicle with a new similar model, if they will not agree with me on a replacement vehicle. They are then required by law to refund the original purchase price of the truck to me($56,000) plus the cost of registration and taxes, minus a formula amount for the mileage I put on the vehicle.
Oklahoma turns out to be a very very bad state to sell a defective vehicle in, lol.

I have had wayy too many issues on this truck. I feel like any repairs at this point are virtually bubble gum on a crack in a dam. It has had a major issue almost every week now, and sorry but that's just extremely unacceptable.

Calling the dealership I bought it from tomorrow, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm gonna see if they will perhaps work a deal with me to exchange for perhaps a 2500, probably a long shot but at this point I've lost all faith in half ton trucks, I really think this is just an issue with just my truck-but not willing to take the risk with owning another rebel, I know a lot of people have gone offroading with their rebels and have had no issues, yet mine seems to breakdown from driving only on paved and smooth gravel roads. :/

·
Read Only
108 Posts
Shocks are only good for 40-50,000 miles for normal use, if you're on rougher roads the shocks will wear out faster. Being at 44,000 miles I'd say you're right in line with the life expectancy on a shock. I would think they would be two pieces since a air bag or spring isn't usually part of the shock but I haven't taken them apart so I could be wrong. Good luck with getting it figured out and you could just take the air ride stuff off to go back to the coils like the standard rams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any updates on this? Have been looking at the Rebel but the replacement costs for the 4 corners has me somewhat concerned. Looks like a $3k lifetime warranty might be worthwhile here in Florida.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dealership has agreed that it is a lemon, and the sales manager said they are willing to take a slight loss on a trade in on any vehicle on their lot I want.
Right now it's in the shop getting the back differential repaired.
Hoping they're serious and won't go back on their word when I get to their dealership next week.
Guess I'll give a 3/4 ton a try since the half ton fell apart so fast, any input?
Any updates on this? Have been looking at the Rebel but the replacement costs for the 4 corners has me somewhat concerned. Looks like a $3k lifetime warranty might be worthwhile here in Florida.
Since you're in Florida you're probably not going to be driving on rough dirt roads everyday, so you'll probably be fine with a rebel, I guess they just didn't intend for the rebel to be used as a work truck or something, because mine just didn't take it well at all.
But still an extended warranty is never a bad idea :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They admitted it was a lemon, I ended up taking about a $19k loss, but at least I'm out of it. The dealership manager made a deal with me and knocked like 9k off the price of a '16 Power Wagon and supposedly "went in the red about $3700" on the price.
Took 7 hours of negotiating, long day, but really liking how beefed up the axles and joints are on the Power Wagon vs the Rebel.
At least this truck's suspension only costs $300-500 to fix verses $1600 each shock with the rebel, also got a 100,000 mile Mopar bumper to bumper warranty this time, instead of the good for nothing non-Chrysler one they sold me with my last rebel.
Hate losing the good gas mileage, but if it'll hold up better on rough roads-it's worth it, plus it sits off the ground a lot higher haha.
Hopefully no one else has this issue, anyways I'm happy-in more debt, but happy for the moment, lol.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
They admitted it was a lemon, I ended up taking about a $19k loss, but at least I'm out of it. The dealership manager made a deal with me and knocked like 9k off the price of a '16 Power Wagon and supposedly "went in the red about $3700" on the price.
Took 7 hours of negotiating, long day, but really liking how beefed up the axles and joints are on the Power Wagon vs the Rebel.
At least this truck's suspension only costs $300-500 to fix verses $1600 each shock with the rebel, also got a 100,000 mile Mopar bumper to bumper warranty this time, instead of the good for nothing non-Chrysler one they sold me with my last rebel.
Hate losing the good gas mileage, but if it'll hold up better on rough roads-it's worth it, plus it sits off the ground a lot higher haha.
Hopefully no one else has this issue, anyways I'm happy-in more debt, but happy for the moment, lol.
Good luck with the truck! The PowerWagon is a sweet rig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hopefully it'll hold together a lot better, really happy it came with a normal coilspring/shock suspension instead of the airsprings, should be a lot more affordable when it needs replaced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts