Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this normal? I only ask because I am experiencing it in BOTH headlamps assemblies whenever I get it washed or when it rains.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately it is normal. My original ones were really bad...like I had "rain drops" on the inside of my housings. My local dealer replaced both of them and I still have issues sometimes but not nearly as bad as I did with the first set.

·
Registered
660 Posts
No, it is not normal.

One cause can be the vents on the back of the light housings. There are 3 vent tubes coming out of the back of the housing. There are small filter screens on the ends of the tubes, and small caps that go on. There is a tendency for the caps to get pressed on too snugly. Recommended fix is to remove and reseat, just until they reach a small detent. It is possible to press them on too far.

Another reported problem is a bad seal between the housing and the front lens. The seal is just a silicon sealant. The dealers would replace the whole housing. Guys often fix their own - stick the housing in an oven at low temp to soften the sealant, pry it apart, clean off the old sealant, apply fresh sealant, and put back together.

Normally the easiest thing to do is take it to the dealer, who will likely just replace the whole unit.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
No, it is not normal.

One cause can be the vents on the back of the light housings. There are 3 vent tubes coming out of the back of the housing. There are small filter screens on the ends of the tubes, and small caps that go on. There is a tendency for the caps to get pressed on too snugly. Recommended fix is to remove and reseat, just until they reach a small detent. It is possible to press them on too far.

Another reported problem is a bad seal between the housing and the front lens. The seal is just a silicon sealant. The dealers would replace the whole housing. Guys often fix their own - stick the housing in an oven at low temp to soften the sealant, pry it apart, clean off the old sealant, apply fresh sealant, and put back together.

Normally the easiest thing to do is take it to the dealer, who will likely just replace the whole unit.
Even with my new headlight unites, they still fog up a little in the corners with the conditions are right. I've tried to adjust the vents on the back side and it still fogs up from time to time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I only see it when I transition from really cold outside, to a car wash or indoor parking... otherwise it's very rare. My dealer offered to change them out but couldn't promise the new ones would be any better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is "normal" unfortunately. This has been going on ever since they started putting the projector headlights on the Rams in 2013. It even states in your owner's manual that it's "normal". There is also an TSB that explains how bad it has to get before it's considered not "normal". Trust me, I think it's crap that they do it, but they do.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is normal to get a little bit. The TSB says that "occasional" is normal. It's not normal to collect water. When it's working correctly, warmer air circulates out the top, and cooler air comes in the bottom. If that cooler air isn't dry enough, some moisture will condensate out once the lights are turned off and everything starts cooling. When the lights are turned back on, everything starts warming, the water re-evaporates, that moist air vents out the top, and cooler air starts coming in the bottom again. (that's why the TSB says 20 minutes)

It's always most likely to happen when you are running lights-on and there's a lot of humidity in the air, or when temps outside are pretty cold but water is still present.

Water collection can occur when the vents aren't open. The unit doesn't cool properly because the vents are blocked. It gets even warmer than normal, the air inside increases in pressure, and some forces its way out the vents, and then stabilizes at equalized pressure. No real venting occurs, after that, so the moisture already collected doesn't get carried out. After shutdown, the unit cools, the pressure drops below outside temp, and some air is forced back in, carrying moisture, collecting more than normal. Do this repeatedly, you have a lot of water.

A lot of companies make projectors with open drain holes at the bottom behind the lens. When the housings are metal, water dripping out the drain hole causes any metal near the bottom of the housings to corrode prematurely. Chrome lens bezels, mounting screws, or practically any other metal including the housing itself. We've all seen this in older units. So yeah, no fog inside the projector, but serious damage instead. And even then you can occasionally see a fine coating of moisture. It's usually because after shutdown, the unit cools, drawing air in the bottom vent, but not enough moisture in the air to condense out large drops that run down the lens. These kinds of devices usually heat up faster because there is no top vent, and the "fog" disappears more quickly. Look at most of the big off-road lights. Hella, KC, and others are typically like this, depending on bright, ultra-hot halogens and HIDs to heat them up quickly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well worded. My Rams that have had projectors have all done this. Both of my brothers Rams do this as well. In the summer, it never happens. When you start to get around Fall time it happens. Guys that live down in the southern States hardly ever see it. On my 14 Sport, it would go away, not necessarily in that magic 20 minute time frame, but it did dissipate. I was part of a huge thread on a couple of the other Ram forums and got on a personal mission to prevent it as I thought it looked absolutely terrible on a 50k truck. There were A LOT of guys, I would say about 85%, with projectors that experienced this condensation/fogging. It's actually funny how many never even notice it until they read one of the several threads discussion it....then they looked and found it happening to their projectors. There has been many guys who had them replaced under warranty only to have the new ones do the same exact thing. I took my projectors off from my Sport and sealed all around the housing where the clear meets the black, I opened up all 3 of my vents as far as they could go without falling off, I opened the dust cap and took a hair dryer to each one for 20 minutes, and I made two silica gel desiccant packs for each headlight. This would only keep them fog free for about a year, then I would dry them out again and replace the desiccant packs. When I drove my new 2016 Rebel home from the dealership a month ago I parked in my driveway and looked back. Both of the projectors were fogged up pretty bad around the LED turn signals (where it always happens). Though I was annoyed, I knew it was to be expected. I did the process I just explained above (minus sealing the housing) and I haven't seen any fogging/condensation since. If interested, then just do a Google search. You'll come up with a lot of conversations going back years (to 2013).

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I pulled the headlights out of my rebel one week after I purchased it new last fall to install the HID kit, I made sure all if my vents were open. And so far I have not seen any moisture in the housings at all. Maybe the HID's heat is burning any moisture off since I have them on when I am driving.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I pulled the headlights out of my rebel one week after I purchased it new last fall to install the HID kit, I made sure all if my vents were open. And so far I have not seen any moisture in the housings at all. Maybe the HID's heat is burning any moisture off since I have them on when I am driving.
When I put 55watt HIDs in my 2014 Sport, I would still get the condensation/fogging.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I put 55watt HIDs in my 2014 Sport, I would still get the condensation/fogging.
Did you check the vents on the back of the housing, to make sure they are open? Or maybe I am not having the fog problem because mine are projectors.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Even with the vents open, you will get some light fogging in the right conditions, when the air is carrying a lot of moisture. But the vents help it go away once the lights are on for a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My headlights on my 2014 Sport were projectors and yes opening the vents all the way was one of the very first things I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts