Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2015 Sierra for my 2016 Ram Rebel with 18,000 miles on it. I had big concerns about this expensive air suspension, and added a 125,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. So, after a few weeks of ownership I went to leave for work and see the front end all the way down. It would not raise back up despite show the "raising" like constantly. Off to the dealer it goes, and I'm told I'll probably not see it for weeks. I just had that bad feeling that this would happen, and damned if it didn't. I have a loaner car, but I'd much rather have my truck. I hope they can fix this thing right and relieve my paranoia that it's going to be a a recurring problem. I hope not, I really like the truck but this has left a bad taste in my mouth for this air suspension..... Sorry, had to rant a little bit...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine is almost 3 years old, and the only issues with air suspension I have are when I am on the highway, and press the down button to go to aero, it will flash for a good 45 seconds before it actually goes down. Other than that, it has been fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My truck has been at the dealership for one week now. I had to take time off work to confront them on why it hasn't moved from where it was parked. Had to rattle the service managers cage after a service writer lied about promising me they would "look at it" on Thursday, and didn't. So, they got it in and called me. Air suspension compressor is shot. Service manager tells me that there are 600 of these on backorder throughout the US. Not exactly confidence inspiring news. He will "try to expedite" the new compressor, but even that will take at least 2 weeks. So that will be 3 weeks I got to drive the truck, followed by at least 3 weeks (probably more) sitting in the shop. I blame myself for not checking into this wonderful air suspension before buying the truck. Would have been a deal breaker. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed. I love pretty much everything about this truck. That is when I can actually drive it! I've read nothing that indicates to me that Ram has done anything to make these crap air suspension components more reliable. If anyone has some good news in this area, please share. I'm certainly happy that I paid for an extended warranty even though it's under factory warranty. It appears I'm gonna need it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My truck has been at the dealership for one week now. I had to take time off work to confront them on why it hasn't moved from where it was parked. Had to rattle the service managers cage after a service writer lied about promising me they would "look at it" on Thursday, and didn't. So, they got it in and called me. Air suspension compressor is shot. Service manager tells me that there are 600 of these on backorder throughout the US. Not exactly confidence inspiring news. He will "try to expedite" the new compressor, but even that will take at least 2 weeks. So that will be 3 weeks I got to drive the truck, followed by at least 3 weeks (probably more) sitting in the shop. I blame myself for not checking into this wonderful air suspension before buying the truck. Would have been a deal breaker. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed. I love pretty much everything about this truck. That is when I can actually drive it! I've read nothing that indicates to me that Ram has done anything to make these crap air suspension components more reliable. If anyone has some good news in this area, please share. I'm certainly happy that I paid for an extended warranty even though it's under factory warranty. It appears I'm gonna need it.
You need to file an official complaint with the governing body (TSB?) in your area. Your dealer works for/with FCA and has no vested interest in helping you with your suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I called the corporate phone today, and surprisingly got someone of the phone. He was very polite, and seemed to understand my frustration. Aside from not having my truck to use, the lack of communication between the dealership and me is appalling... Anyhow, he asked to put me on hold. About 10 minutes or so later, he came back on. He advised that the new compressor would be there Monday, or sooner. (Not sure how that is possible on Friday afternoon) Anyhow, I have my fingers crossed that I get my truck back by Tuesday. It's been in the shop longer than I've been able to drive it. My fingers are crossed that the compressor has been properly engineered, and this will be a long term fix. Thanks for letting me vent here....

·
Registered
451 Posts
Update: I called the corporate phone today, and surprisingly got someone of the phone. He was very polite, and seemed to understand my frustration. Aside from not having my truck to use, the lack of communication between the dealership and me is appalling... Anyhow, he asked to put me on hold. About 10 minutes or so later, he came back on. He advised that the new compressor would be there Monday, or sooner. (Not sure how that is possible on Friday afternoon) Anyhow, I have my fingers crossed that I get my truck back by Tuesday. It's been in the shop longer than I've been able to drive it. My fingers are crossed that the compressor has been properly engineered, and this will be a long term fix. Thanks for letting me vent here....
I think I can safely speak for the group when I wish you luck with the replacement.... BUT....

Ask to see the part number on the compressor... I'll bet you a gold coin that it's the same old compressor they've been using from day 1.

Let us know regardless!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacing compressor just buys time, does not solve the problem, which is all compressors create water. With no system like a dryer to prevent moisture, water will build up and freeze in winter. On third compressor , eventually enough water builds up to freeze and break lines, or fittings or airbags. There is no built in way to drain or dry.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The system is designed to be a closed system filled with nitrogen, which is why there are two tanks. There shouldn't be any moisture in the system at all. At least that's what I found when I researched this truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts