Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it is going to be another several days before I get this procharger bolt up finished and I needed the truck for the holidays I decided to grab the programmer that came with the kit and use it stand alone for a little while.

Background...to use a tuner on a 2016 truck is a bit of a pain in terms of cost because you have to unlock the stock PCM (or buy one). I had already bought one and installed it as part of getting ready for the procharger.

So this morning I plugged in the programmer and downloaded the 93 octane tune, start the truck, put it in gear....and it promptly stalled/ran like crap.

So I tried the 91 tune then the 87 tune all with the same results. So I loaded the stock tune and went back in the house feeling defeated.

*SIGH*

So then I went to the diablo forums and after some reading found that there is a know issue if you use their 'easy tune' function and 'speed limiter override' it throws an error and puts the truck in limp mode. So back outside I went....download the 93 octane tune...but kept the speed limiter in place....and BAM....WOW! Great throttle response through full range, noticably quicker acceleration, fish tails when turning ;). Very pleased. Trucked it around for about 200 miles today and used 1/2 take of gas....so I would say that is somewhere in the 12ish MPG range >:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And just because someone will ask......

country roads at 50-60 for 50 of those miles
highways cruising at 75-80 for the balance

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's really odd that the speed limiter will throw it into limp mode. Hopefully they develop an update on it. Have they said anything in regards to fixing it directly ?? Either way unless you plan on really pushing the heck out of it, it shouldn't affect you right ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really odd that the speed limiter will throw it into limp mode. Hopefully they develop an update on it. Have they said anything in regards to fixing it directly ?? Either way unless you plan on really pushing the heck out of it, it shouldn't affect you right ?
They have a manual work around in place, you can over come the limitation by installing the same tune through the advanced menu on the same tuner and going through and selecting....just takes longer and apparently I'm in the minority about being a set it/forget type looking for a simple process and then never think about it again ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is great information. I would like to know if the torque management and throttle lag is reduced or gone, and do you have a firmer shift? These are the main reason I have ran tuners in the past, along with turning the mds off. Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
They have a manual work around in place, you can over come the limitation by installing the same tune through the advanced menu on the same tuner and going through and selecting....just takes longer and apparently I'm in the minority about being a set it/forget type looking for a simple process and then never think about it again ;)
Ahh okay okay thank you for clearing that up. I myself am in that minority that you are I guess, rather not fiddle and keep fiddling. Idle hands may be the devils workshop, but hands that are touching too much can land you in h.ell a lot quicker ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is great information. I would like to know if the torque management and throttle lag is reduced or gone, and do you have a firmer shift? These are the main reason I have ran tuners in the past, along with turning the mds off. Thanks
It no longer does that little wonky thing of feeling like it is slowing down while trying to accelerate at WOT as it shift between gears.
Shifts overall feel the same though in terms of firmness
Throttle is faster

Is is worth $300....probably. Is is worth $900 (which is essentially what it costs now)......jury is out on that...I probably would not have bought if I was not doing these other things. It does not compare in anyway shape or form to the $300 box I put on my diesel ;) But...different animals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It no longer does that little wonky thing of feeling like it is slowing down while trying to accelerate at WOT as it shift between gears.
Shifts overall feel the same though in terms of firmness
Throttle is faster

Is is worth $300....probably. Is is worth $900 (which is essentially what it costs now)......jury is out on that...I probably would not have bought if I was not doing these other things. It does not compare in anyway shape or form to the $300 box I put on my diesel ;) But...different animals.
Thanks for the reply. The wonky feeling is the torque management pulling the throttle back during the shifts. I do miss the nice tire barking shift the Challenger had with the intune tuner. Hopefully they will crack the code in our trucks computer, and sell a tuner only that rocks like the pre-2015 autos did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts