Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering if anyone has wired a dashcam into the Rebel. A coworker had a fender bender yesterday and his biggest regret is not having one. So I’m wanting to put one in my new Rebel. I’ll rethink it if it means that I’ll have a DC power cable hanging over my dash all the time. I also don’t to dismantle the dash on a new truck. Kind of invites dash rattles a few years up the road. Any ideas/experience?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Lots of options - doesn't have to sit on dash and rattle - you can even make it a "behind the mirror" cam, wired from the overhead console, and suctioned or glued to the window.

just one example here
hundreds more examples of RAMs with dashcams all over the web

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im too scared to mess with power...

I just let my power cable hang, has never bothered me to be honest, but I don't like doing any kind of minor let alone major surgery on my $50k truck, makes me a tad nervous, but that's just me. Have had dash cams for probably 4+ years now, as there are way too many idiots on the road. Have used for cops a few times when witness to accident. Good luck man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiring doesn't bother me much, but breaking tabs and clips that hold my interior in place kind of does. I'll do some homework. I'll post when I get everything installed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just pulled my overhead console down and tapped onto the power wire going to the rear window switch to get power for my radar detector. It is switched so I will also attach another wire in the same place for the dash cam when I get one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m wondering if anyone has wired a dashcam into the Rebel. A coworker had a fender bender yesterday and his biggest regret is not having one. So I’m wanting to put one in my new Rebel. I’ll rethink it if it means that I’ll have a DC power cable hanging over my dash all the time. I also don’t to dismantle the dash on a new truck. Kind of invites dash rattles a few years up the road. Any ideas/experience?

Same happened with me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just want to recommend the YI dash cam. I know that's not what you were asking, but I've had a number of dash cams over the years and they've all pretty much sucked. For $50, the YI is a good choice. FIY - Just got my Rebel yesterday, red, all options except the sunroof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run a Z3 dashcam. Works great. I have it up behind the mirror on the passenger side. It loops video so unless I need video off of it I don't have to touch it.

I ran an extension (with a switch) from the rear passenger compartment adapter. On the passenger side map pocket I put a (3) accessory adapter. I ran the power wire for the dash cam along the headliner and down the side then under the dash.

If I want it turned off (along with the Garmin GPS and the GoPro) I just reach behind me and flip the switch. Its not a true hard wire...but it works great (for now).

Hope these photos show up.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I installed a blackvue DR650 dual camera with the powermagic pro.. totally clean intall with no wires showing. I didn't think to take pictures but the +12 Constant and +12 ACC were easy to find and tap into with a couple of posi-taps.. ran the line from behind the radio and behind the glove box up the pillar to the camera. the line for the rear camera through the headliner and could tuck it through the b pillar without removing it.. ran all the way to the back and installed the camera there...

there are people hosting pictures now that photobucket is useless?

·
Registered
2 Posts
accessory wiring and warranty

Talked with my delar today, and they warned about tapping into any power other than the 110v or the lighter adapter. They said anything else could void the manufacturers warranty for the entire electronics system. scare tactic, or legit concern?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts