Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

so im in the same situation as anyone with air ride suspension living in Cold weather and my warranty is coming up soon. ive had my air compressor replaced once ( last year) this morning i saw that the rear passenger side was down. so i started the truck and drove it around the block and it seemed to go back to its normal height. theres about 1" difference between right and left side. no warning lights or messages have come up yet but since my warranty is ending soon, i wanna prepare myself in case anything happens. last time i was at the dealer they said that if it wasnt under warranty it would cost me around 2500 to fix. but now i dont know if its worth it to pay it out of my pocket once warranty is over or is there another way to deal with this problem. ive seen some people online saying that converting from air to conventional spring suspension eliminates the problem but warning lights still show up. is there anyone here that have tried this option or is there any other option? thanks in advance

·
Registered
451 Posts
FCA is on the hook if you have documented problems prior to the end of warranty. Meaning if you have the air ride issue prior to end of warranty, they will cover the defective parts after warranty... but good luck holding them to it. I recommend waiting till warranty is up and then do a deal where you get a dealer installed swap at a discounted rate. My boss got the swap done for the price of the kit on his Longhorn. $1800 with leveling kit and alignment. That's the smart play if you want to keep the truck. Extended warranty only extends the pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FCA is on the hook if you have documented problems prior to the end of warranty. Meaning if you have the air ride issue prior to end of warranty, they will cover the defective parts after warranty... but good luck holding them to it. I recommend waiting till warranty is up and then do a deal where you get a dealer installed swap at a discounted rate. My boss got the swap done for the price of the kit on his Longhorn. $1800 with leveling kit and alignment. That's the smart play if you want to keep the truck. Extended warranty only extends the pain.

I did get the extended warranty when i boughg the truck. VaderRebel when you say swap. Is that from air to coilspring? Last year when i asked my dealership how much that would cost they said that they cant even do the convertion with air ride.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. There are dealers offering credits to new 2018 Limited and Longhorn buyers to have the air ride removed/swapped before delivery.

There is nothing stopping a dealer from removing your air ride, except laziness and shady intentions. Move on to another dealer and contact FCA customer care rep to start the dialogue about a discounted swap. More noise you make, more people will listen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. There are dealers offering credits to new 2018 Limited and Longhorn buyers to have the air ride removed/swapped before delivery.

There is nothing stopping a dealer from removing your air ride, except laziness and shady intentions. Move on to another dealer and contact FCA customer care rep to start the dialogue about a discounted swap. More noise you make, more people will listen.

Just started getting the immediate "air suspension service/repair required" again. booked an appointment with a different dealer this time. hopefully they will be more considerate about this situation.
wish i had the money to trade it in for a 2018 model minus air ride but i feel like converting my current truck to coil is still cheaper.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Keep in mind you will have the EVIC remind you every time you start your truck, to service the air ride. There's a big reason to eat the trade hit for a 2019.

It's a terrible spot FCA has put northern customers in, just wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Keep in mind you will have the EVIC remind you every time you start your truck, to service the air ride. There's a big reason to eat the trade hit for a 2019.

It's a terrible spot FCA has put northern customers in, just wrong.
you mentioned that your boss got the swap done for 1800. did the dealership just used the factory struts and coils from the Standard Ram models? ive heard that they fit the air suspension chassis.

that would be annoying to always have that message pop up but I'm ok with it if i know that my suspension have been converted to coil. is there another big reason besides the air suspension that i might not know about? perhaps another common problem with rams?

it is really disappointing that FCA doesnt seem to care, considering that this has been an issue for a long time now. they dont even have an update for that evic message to stop popping up for those who switched suspensions

thanks for responding to my questions btw

·
Registered
451 Posts
You are correct, it is terrible to abandon customers with problems and force them to solve it themselves or trade their vehicles away. But that's the reality of dealing with auto manufacturers and their dealers, you always lose.

Yes, standard 1500 suspension works on the Rebel, but you're going to need to do some homework if you plan on doing the swap yourself, it's a pretty big job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct, it is terrible to abandon customers with problems and force them to solve it themselves or trade their vehicles away. But that's the reality of dealing with auto manufacturers and their dealers, you always lose.

Yes, standard 1500 suspension works on the Rebel, but you're going to need to do some homework if you plan on doing the swap yourself, it's a pretty big job.
Just went to my dealership again but weather warmed up so nothing wrong with it lol. But i asked them if they can do the swap to coils. The mechanic said he could do it and even make provision sp that the evic message will stop popping up. The service guy even gave me a quotr for the labour. However the parts manager said there is no proper parts for it. I even told them that theres places who does it.

VaderRebel do you by any chance can send me photo of work order or let me know which dealership did the swap on your boss's truck? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
26 Posts
I even used this programer to add power folding mirrors, vented seats next is front grille camera, but it will be listed as cargo cam on the radio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Google AlfaOBD there is a site that helps guide you through the system. This is a great program just really read on what and how to change the parameters. that you want to add, remove or change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2018 ram rebel and looking to convert to coil springs, anyone do this and how does it impact the ride ?
Hi,I have 2018 rebel as well, I want swap the air suspendtion to the coilover as well! I'm current setting is with bds 4inchi lift design for the air ride, I want swap to 6inchi bds lift (is can adjustment down to 4inchi as well)only with coilover and rear spring since I m already have other component from bds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts