Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am strongly considering buying a CAI but am torn between manufacturers and models. I see some guys with K&N (not sure the model), some with S&B (I like the sealed look with clear plexi) and also hear good things about AirRaid.

Anyone have any big opinions on one vs another? MPG gains? HP gains?

Also, for the K&N guys, what model are you running as I see some with different HP specs. Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Myself, as well as many contributors on this forum agree that the only realistic difference you get from an after market intake is sound. Some go as far as to say that there could even be harmful side affects from some models including heat soaking your engine.

To each their own, but the vast majority agree that the stock intake does a pretty good job.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Myself, as well as many contributors on this forum agree that the only realistic difference you get from an after market intake is sound. Some go as far as to say that there could even be harmful side affects from some models including heat soaking your engine.

To each their own, but the vast majority agree that the stock intake does a pretty good job.

This is very true. Take some and do a search on this CAI subject, even on the Challenger sites most guys are against using the. Save your money for something else that is a proven upgrade like HID headlight upgrade kit, or Kicker speakers, etc.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I do not like to see someone spend their cash on something that will only make noise. Plus the stock air filter unit is a CAI unit, and the stock air filter will out flow the throttle body.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty much in the camp with most everyone else. I didn't get any noticeable performance or fuel economy increase. I DO like how it looks, and it does sound a bit better than the stock one. Though, the improved sound is not near as dramatic as the improvement when I installed one on my old 2004 Hemi Sport. That was night and day.

Another benefit is that I'll never have to buy another disposable filter cartridge.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. I like more/better sound, but it would be great to get a little more benefit than just the sound. There seem to be some people that have seen some gains from reading other threads. Could be coincidental, but I will take any MPG/HP benefit I can get - any models of those CAIs that you guys are using that have seen some gains?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I notice a slight improvement in get up and go but I dont think its much. I went from a 14 Ram Express package with K&N intake to the Rebel stock and was very disappointed how much slower it felt, blamed the excess weight of the 10 ply tires. Ended up putting the CAI back on it (not expecting any power gains) and noticed better low end and was happy again. Its only a butt test so take it for what its worth

Edit: I notice worse fuel economy with the CAI in the winter cause it struggles to stay warm, but in the summer I was able to get 24mpg on rural routes which was almost a 1.5mpg increase from what I got stock

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wouldn't one need to "re-map" fuel and intake delivery in order to take full advantage of a CAI (and exhaust for that matter)? That's what I would do on a sport bike. Pardon the newbie here, but isn't that what a "perfomance chip" is for? Or can someone program the stock ECU?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just some words of wisdom from a long time Dodge RAM 1500 HEMI Gen1 owner: Safe your money on buying a full CAI and instead by a new free flow filter Why number 1 - The original engine had the air box going into the inlet tube and connected to a air baffle box prior to the throttle body. This was to reduce noise so when I added a CAI it probably increased HP simply by emitting all of the air obstructions. I don't see this setup on our Rebel's. It looks more like a CAI setup already from the factory of course with a terrible paper filter to save money. Why number 2 - The sensor in the intake is for temperature and not a mass air flow monitor. The HEMI just picks from the already programmed fuel tables on the PCM. There hasn't been a way to update those that I know of. Why number 3 - The original 5.7L made 345 HP/375 TQ. To get it to today's numbers they had to already look at intake and exhaust upgrades to help achieve those new numbers. Why number 4 - I haven't seen any numbers citing additional HP/TQ numbers on the new HEMI's but of course if they do you have to look at what kind of vehicle it was. I'm sure the added weight and having 33 inch tires on the Rebel diminishes any gains. So change to a CAI if you want more internal/external sound but don't be surprised after spending $300+ the truck doesn't move faster.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To really benefit from any CAI, you need to also swap out the factory exhaust. Adding a maganflow Cat back like the 15363 will increase HP by 10%. I installed my parts in stages. I first went with a K&N CAI and a diablo sport tuner. I could hear a "BRRAAAPPP" sound coming from the intake when I would step on the gas. Nice sound for sure but, after installing the Magnaflow, All i hear is lots of air being sucked into the engine.

As for fuel economy, I recorded my Average driving from home to the cottage in summer.

Stock no mods

MDS on 11.1 L/100km
MDS off 11.3 L/kms

Added 35" tires BFgoodrich KO2. I had to manually calculate this with a 6% offset i was getting on the tires. The PCM was not calibrated for the tires

MDS on 12.7 L/100km
MDS off 12.9 l/100kms

Added KN Air charger and diablo sport tuner, calibrated tires to match 35"

MDS on 11.5 l/100kms
MDS off 11.7 l/100kms

Added magnaflow cat back 15363
MDS on 10.2 l/100kms
MDS off 10.3 l/100kms

with the tuner I ended up disabling the MDS all together. it sounds just awful with the new exhaust.

hope this helps

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like that Vararam intake. I've always liked the OTR design for a CAI. It gives you the straightest shot for the intake air. The design of that intake has me intrigued though. It looks like it seals to the inside of the hood. Does the intake come with something that mounts to the hood for the intake to seal against? Do you have pics of that? If it doesn't, and relies on sealing to the hood insulation I'd be concerned that it's going to be pulling in hot air from under the hood because it's not getting a good seal against the insulation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this intake and put it on the day I brought the truck home. I had this intake on my previous 1500 with same motor and on that truck, I saw zero in mpg but will say the throttle response was improved. I have to assume it did the same on the Rebel but again, nothing to compare it to as I put it on day one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like that Vararam intake. I've always liked the OTR design for a CAI. It gives you the straightest shot for the intake air. The design of that intake has me intrigued though. It looks like it seals to the inside of the hood. Does the intake come with something that mounts to the hood for the intake to seal against? Do you have pics of that? If it doesn't, and relies on sealing to the hood insulation I'd be concerned that it's going to be pulling in hot air from under the hood because it's not getting a good seal against the insulation.
It does seal against the hood, just not sure how tight. It looks impressive under the hood.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
S&B all the way

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anybody purchased the true ram air functional hood scoop and paired it with the mopar/k&n/afe cai and noticed any differences?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd agree on the S&B. Bit more of a complicated install...but turned out great!

I have the same one. Keep an eye on the bolts holding down the plexiglass cover. And make sure you use some antiseize on the bolts there. I had two of the bolts back out completely and the one at the rear passenger side was completely seized. they warrantied the box, lid and bolt hardware though.. it's just a real pain in the butt.

The bolts and nut inserts for the cover are two different types of metal.

The intake rocks though.. still pleased with the purchase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts