Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if anyone has put a 2 or 3" body lift in their Rebel yet or know if the Rebel would use the same body lift as the sports and slt's? I'd imagine it would be the same but my concern would be about the front bumper. I want to get a bit more lift in mine but I don't want to go messing around with the suspension. Ill probably throw 35s on it once these factory tires go to crap and I'm sure a 2" body lift will be good enough to clear them while the trucks suspension is in "normal" mode. I'm a little iffy on the 3" cause I'm thinking it will look a little funny.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Your concerns on the front bumper are real, tow hooks through the bumper will now be bye- bye.
Try Bully's replacement lift links for another 2" in normal mode. They're adjustable and will trick the onboard computer to believe the truck is lower than what it really is by way of changing each air bag sensor's position. Everything still functions the same way over 25, but you'll be 2" higher in normal & 3" in Offroad mode.

Reactions: Shewpan

·
Registered
510 Posts
Your concerns on the front bumper are real, tow hooks through the bumper will now be bye- bye.
Try Bully's replacement lift links for another 2" in normal mode. They're adjustable and will trick the onboard computer to believe the truck is lower than what it really is by way of changing each air bag sensor's position. Everything still functions the same way over 25, but you'll be 2" higher in normal & 3" in Offroad mode.
Sounds like a good solution. Have you actually tried this yourself? Do you have first hand knowledge?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I heard BDS suspension is working on something for the Rebel, just seemingly no word on when we can expect it, maybe a couple months? a few months from now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
bds shows this on there website but not sure if it works with the rebel 4" Air Ride Suspension Lift Kit - 2014 - 2015 Dodge 1500 4WD

·
Registered
229 Posts
I heard BDS suspension is working on something for the Rebel, just seemingly no word on when we can expect it, maybe a couple months? a few months from now?
With all due respect, Op stated he wanted height without a lift system to clear 35's, other than body lift "not recommended" or spacers under the air bags "not recommended", this is the final option.

bds shows this on there website but not sure if it works with the rebel 4" Air Ride Suspension Lift Kit - 2014 - 2015 Dodge 1500 4WD
BDS Rebel lift is specific, this will bolt up but won't function to Rebel specs. ie brake lines ect.

Sounds like a good solution. Have you actually tried this yourself? Do you have first hand knowledge?
Yes, it works as advertised. An alignment at the new normal height will be in order & the ride will be a little stiffer with more air in the bags.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes, it works as advertised. An alignment at the new normal height will be in order & the ride will be a little stiffer with more air in the bags.
Does that mean that you could post up some pictures to give us a visual?

·
Registered
229 Posts

The 4th link is from a Longhorn, our Rebel links are all plastic, but the same principle is in effect.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok here's what I have, disregard my prior post if you want to save $319. Those links were developed for 1rst gen air ride back in late 14, they will work on the Rebel but, our stock links are made of plastic not metal, which means you can simply swap them from front to back & like magic you have 3"s of free lift, by way of tricking the onboard computer into thinking the truck is sitting lower than what it is. Details: The front links are longer up front & need to be shorter to achieve the desired height, just as the rears are shorter & need to be longer.

Keep in mind when doing this, Offroad mode will now max out the airbags which will ride like crap, normal mode will be bouncy imo, so you will need to use Areo mode to have a comfortable 3"s of fulltime lift over stock no matter what mph you drive. The air ride system will continue to function exactly the way it did before this mod, entry/exit mode, alignment mode, Areo mode & Normal & Offroad mode, both of which I warn you will be intolerable, due to the amount of air in the system, but will still function like stock.

Potential abnormal wear: Absolutely none. Ball joints still have more than enough travel angle, no binding on any suspension parts whatsoever. After deciding which mode you'll use fulltime, be it Areo or Normal mode, a new wheel alignment in the desired mode will be required or tires will wear immaturely. Pic below is my Rebel in the new Areo mode after alignment.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff161/fraymorejr/IMAG1247_zpsjne8uc26.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ok here's what I have, disregard my prior post if you want to save $319. Those links were developed for 1rst gen air ride back in late 14, they will work on the Rebel but, our stock links are made of plastic not metal, which means you can simply swap them from front to back & like magic you have 3"s of free lift, by way of tricking the onboard computer into thinking the truck is sitting lower than what it is. Details: The front links are longer up front & need to be shorter to achieve the desired height, just as the rears are shorter & need to be longer.

Keep in mind when doing this, Offroad mode will now max out the airbags which will ride like crap, normal mode will be bouncy imo, so you will need to use Areo mode to have a comfortable 3"s of fulltime lift over stock no matter what mph you drive. The air ride system will continue to function exactly the way it did before this mod, entry/exit mode, alignment mode, Areo mode & Normal & Offroad mode, both of which I warn you will be intolerable, due to the amount of air in the system, but will still function like stock.

Potential abnormal wear: Absolutely none. Ball joints still have more than enough travel angle, no binding on any suspension parts whatsoever. After deciding which mode you'll use fulltime, be it Areo or Normal mode, a new wheel alignment in the desired mode will be required or tires will wear immaturely. Pic below is my Rebel in the new Areo mode after simple mod & alignment.

Reactions: mtudb24

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rebel in new normal mode after mod

Front link & Height Sensor after swap mod in Areo mode & new alignment. Ball joint angle still within spec.

Rear Link & Height Sensor after swap mod

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's it, I wouldn't play with the settings to much after, because it seems to confuse the PCM, once in areo mode I just left it there & haven't had a problem. Or better yet, make sure you're in areo mode before you remove the links. When you swap them, you'll notice the truck will automatically raise up. Anyway it's a safe mod because if you dont like it, you just swap them back, no harm no foul. A pry tool will get them off easy, they just pop back on, less than 5 minutes to do the entire mod.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NUMBER ONE TECH TIP ON THIS SITE SO FAR!!!!!!! I was threatening to crawl under there and see what they were doing to sense how high the truck was. You already did all of the work and figuring out for me. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's it, I wouldn't play with the settings to much after, because it seems to confuse the PCM, once in areo mode I just left it there & haven't had a problem.
What do you think is confusing the PCM? I wonder if making the links longer or shorter by the same percentage if it would be more consistent?

·
Registered
229 Posts
What do you think is confusing the PCM? I wonder if making the links longer or shorter by the same percentage if it would be more consistent?
Yes those are the links & yes they need to be shorter to be exact, that's the advantage of ordering the adjustable links @ $319, this mod works well. Now that I've tested this theory over 3 days now, I may just machine some links that go directly to the sweet spot " Normal Mode w/ Off Road mode height. The Swap mod puts the truck 1" over Off Road mode in Areo mode, but it works nonetheless.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And the original links are just plastic? Are they under any real pressure? They just move the position switch from what I can see. Don't laugh- I am pretty good at 3D printing and design. This may become a future project.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Correct just plastic & they're under absolutely 0 pressure. They move the sensor lever up or down , which sends a determined amount of minute voltage to the PCM , telling it what position each corner of the suspension is in before it synchronises position accordingly. If it senses too much or too little voltage, the PCM will temporarily disable the entire air ride system & flash an error message on the dash display until this has been addressed.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts