Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks. Some of the early Rebel models came with the black bezel rings around the headlights and then FCA switched over to the chrome rings, apparently this is why. For those of you with the black rings, have you noticed what looks like melting around the ring, and if so, have you taken your truck to the dealer? Here are mine, definitely something going on that can't be good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. My truck came with the black bezel rings. Just ran the factory bulbs too. Took it to the factory to be let down when I picked up my truck as they installed chrome bezel ring headlights. I didn't like it at first but it has grown on me. The dealership told me that they see the paint on the black rings flaking off like that all the time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Interesting. Yep, the black ones were noted for heat issues prior to 2015. That's probably why they were discontinued. And a lot of people have noticed that the vents in the back of the housing weren't opened correctly on any of the headlights. That probably hasn't helped any.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I don't think the vents are the problem. The dealer opened my vents up more (supposedly) before the bezel paint started flaking.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's super shitty. Once on my old car, we tried to put hid's in the fog lights. At first we thought the vents were insufficient because it started melting the inside, so we opened it up to see if it would help. Didn't. So we try to open up the hole around the bulb itself (ordered a new pair of housings anyway) and tried it again and it kind of helped. That's until we realized mounting wouldn't be really secure and the potential for dirt and what not to get in was compromised.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I can't specifically say the vents are the issue without some thorough testing. But consider this: the light's getting too hot. Hot enough to bubble/warp plastic. The heat's got to go somewhere. The vents are designed to allow some small airflow through it, and to reduce condensation. It's possible, but highly unlikely that a different formulation in the lens. But why make 2 different kinds when you're just changing the interior trim color components? Maybe something in the design prevents air near the lens from circulating to the inside of the back of the housing where the vents are?

A lot of vehicles don't have sealed headlight housings, the back of the bulbs are exposed to air, with maybe a rubber seal to keep moisture off them.

In a situation like this, I'd be very concerned about putting in HIDs as they get even hotter than halogens. And the heat is at the front, around the bulb, rather than at the back, at the bulb base. That's one advantage of LEDs, the heat is piped pretty quickly to the base and back of the bulb, and to the back of the housing near the vents. Plus they just don't generate as much total heat. But on the other hand, they may not generate enough to keep snow/ice off the front lens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey, folks. Some of the early Rebel models came with the black bezel rings around the headlights and then FCA switched over to the chrome rings, apparently this is why. For those of you with the black rings, have you noticed what looks like melting around the ring, and if so, have you taken your truck to the dealer? Here are mine, definitely something going on that can't be good.
Ahhhh. I read this thread this morning which caused me to check my headlights. Both rings have definitely melted a bit directly underneath the headlight. Honestly, I like the black so much...or am fearful of not liking the chrome...that I'm tempted to not take it in and have them changed. The black headlights is one of the things I like the most about the front end. I can't say it's very noticeable unless I look closely.

My only concern is that I have ordered a set of HIDs (low) and LED (high). Has anyone made this mod and experienced rapid melting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No HID's but I agree, I like the black. I'm just gonna keep an eye on it, if it gets bad I'll take it in but maybe its all done doing what its gonna do. Wishful thinking probably...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts