Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at the point of deciding on getting these 34.4" tires and selling my 600 mile stock 32.8" Rebel tires.

My only fear is the load range C being rated at 2535 lbs per tire, vs the OEM LT tire being I believe a load range E rated at 3192 lbs per tire.

My bumper pull 24.5' flat bed trailer and 2014 Jeep are around 8,000 combined.

Would this a mistake of monumental proportions to accept a load range C? The price of $175 each mounted is only on this particular tire.... The Load Range E version is rated at 3195 lbs each, but also cost over $300 each installed compared to $175.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'm in charge of a tire shop and I will tell you two views on this topic...

First off, they have load requirements from the factory for a reason. If your truck requires a LRE tire, stick with that tire. Not only is the vehicle designed around that tire selection for safe handling and towing, there is a HUGE liability side to this argument. If you are involved in a blow out, loose control of your truck and trailer, hit someone and seriously hurt or kill someone on the road and the insurance company finds out that you aren't running the proper tires, you are now liable. Additionally, that opens up a whole can of worms for you being sued for everything you own plus some to cover for losses of the other party.

On the flip side of it, you do drive a half ton truck and one could make the argument that other similarly equipped Rams with nearly the same max towing capacity and run "p" rated tires. Also, the c rated tires will carry roughly 2500 lbs per tire which is plenty of capacity to carry the Rebel. However, the max psi on that c rated tire should be 50 psi and the Rebel requires 55/45 so for the front tires, you'll constantly be getting a low tire warning...which is annoying.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Engineered load ratings for the stock tires are 2900 lbs. (from Toyo load/inflation tables for our stock tire size, at the stock specified 55psi) So it's not quite as high as you're thinking. I believe you may be referring to max load at what, 65psi or more? - versus the load you expect and inflate the tire to support.

The tires you are considering would still be too low for the truck per engineering recommendations, if you're planning on a load range of 2300 lbs. Meaning you would have to run those C rated tires at max psi, unlike the Toyos which are run lower - so you'd be operating at max tolerance range of the tires all the time instead of below that. Not a position I'd want to take.

·
Registered
39 Posts
However, the max psi on that c rated tire should be 50 psi and the Rebel requires 55/45 so for the front tires, you'll constantly be getting a low tire warning...which is annoying.
I went with a lower load tire for my winters as I do not haul in the winter anyway, and this warning is super annoying. I will be buying new winters next year just to get rid of that, or have a chip in it if that makes it possible to adjust when the warning comes on. Dont do it, spend the extra bucks for a tire that can take the higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
However, the max psi on that c rated tire should be 50 psi and the Rebel requires 55/45 so for the front tires, you'll constantly be getting a low tire warning...which is annoying.
I went with a lower load tire for my winters as I do not haul in the winter anyway, and this warning is super annoying. I will be buying new winters next year just to get rid of that, or have a chip in it if that makes it possible to adjust when the warning comes on. Dont do it, spend the extra bucks for a tire that can take the higher pressure.
Better to be safe and just got with a properly rated tire with the truck! Good call!

·
Registered
660 Posts
The whole reason for the E-rated tires is offroading on rough terrain. That's why engineers specified them for this trim model of the 1500. And also why higher pressure ratings were specced.

I actually like E-rated tires. Can't tell you how many P-rated tires I've lost over the years to flats - potholes, screws/nails on the road, turtle shells, pieces of wood, etc. Punctured treads, ripped sidewalls. And of course most of these happened at night when it's harder to see the hazard on the road ahead of you.

I even ran over a deer one night, already dead on the road, in a sports car. Interstate in the country, pitch black, cop with bubblegums went racing past me, then pulled off the right side of the road several miles ahead with all his lights/strobes still going. I pulled over to the left lane and slowed down a bit and watched him as I went by. Which is when I hit the dead deer in the left lane............... antler and bone through a tire.

Pissed me off royally because all his flashing lights across the road were semi-blinding, and he didn't even have the brains to put a spotlight on the deer to light it up. Even though he knew I was coming. Or to pull over on the left shoulder so traffic would stay in the right lane, or to quickly drag the deer off before someone hit it. He just sat in his car on his radio. Even as I pulled off and changed my tire. (sigh)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole reason for the E-rated tires is offroading on rough terrain. That's why engineers specified them for this trim model of the 1500. And also why higher pressure ratings were specced.
My Ram will never see off-road. I have a much better off-road vehicle for that :)
But the load rating while pulling the 8,000 LB trailer, and the added stresses from the trailer may make the Load C un-happy. Because of this, I passed on the fantastic $175 mounted and balanced deal. It about made me cry, but I am not spending $300+ a tire just to move to Load range E. I'll run the little stock tires until they are about done. Hopefully, my 3 year / 45K mile lease ends with enough tire left that I can turn it in with the tires still on it!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Because of this, I passed on the fantastic $175 mounted and balanced deal. It about made me cry, but I am not spending $300+ a tire just to move to Load range E. I'll run the little stock tires until they are about done. Hopefully, my 3 year / 45K mile lease ends with enough tire left that I can turn it in with the tires still on it!
Well, you wouldn't be "moving" to load range E, you're already there with your stock tires. You'd just be staying in the same load range. If you chose to. The stock tires are 60,000 mile rated, I believe, so you should be good through your lease, barring the unexpected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made that same mistake went with the C rated. Now I have the low pressure alarm on the front tires which is set at 55psi tires are 45psi. I am considering putting my Toyo's back on sell the C for what I can and install the E.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts