Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot about putting a stubby or bullet antenna on in place of the horrid looking silver antenna. Does anyone know if the rebel is capable of having a power/retractable antenna installed? Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'm not a fan of the retractable ones because they always seem to get bent and don't retract or the retracting motor gets damaged leaving you with either a full antenna or no antenna at all. I'm not a fan of the stubby as I feel like they look out of place so what I did was cut down my factory antenna, reattached the ball on the top, than painted it flat black. I love it now. It looks so much better. It's kind of the best of both worlds. Still functional but since it's black, it doesn't stand out like a soar thumb. Check out my thread -

http://www.ramrebelforum.com/forum/...ions/9418-whos-tired-stock-am-fm-antenna.html

Reactions: copnla

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just put a long piece of black heat shrink tubbing on mine. This way I still get good reception. and it looks good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What diameter tubing did you use? Sounds like a good idea!

I like the height of my stock antenna since I park in parking garages and use it as a height gauge.
I used 1/4" tubing over it. Plus it matches the ham radio antenna on the roof. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I just put a long piece of black heat shrink tubbing on mine. This way I still get good reception. and it looks good.
I heard that if you just cut the length of the antenna by half, it won't change the reception much. Something with the frequency and length or something like that...I don't know, radio waves are way over my head.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I heard that if you just cut the length of the antenna by half, it won't change the reception much. Something with the frequency and length or something like that...I don't know, radio waves are way over my head.[/QUOTE
Antenna lengths work best if they are cut (tuned) for the frequency they are being used for. I spend a lot of time tuning my ham radio antennas when I install them on the tower, or truck. Granted when receiving only, this length is not as critical as a transmitting antenna.
The truck antenna is based on a 1/4 wave length and tuned for reception in the middle of the FM broadcast band 468/90mhz = 5.2 /2=2.6 feet or 31.2 inches long. So if you cut it in half it will be tuned for 45 mhz.
Your antenna shortened will still work, but the reception will be good for local stations, and marginal with distance stations. If you want to try it out before you cut antenna, the threads in the base are 1/4-20 so screw in a 12 inch long piece of threaded metal rod, and see how you like it. Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts