Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my Rebel with an aftermarket "stubbie" antenna thru a carwash and didn't realize they only have soft cloth, so long story short, I went in with one, and came out without it (didn't even realize until few hours later when I tried to listen to radio).

Has anyone went thru similar issue and how did you replace yours? I cannot just screw a new one in because original base is stuck in the screw base, and can't get it out.

I went to Dodge, and they said I have to replace the entire assembly, and takes about 3 hours labor....

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I put my Rebel with an aftermarket "stubbie" antenna thru a carwash and didn't realize they only have soft cloth, so long story short, I went in with one, and came out without it (didn't even realize until few hours later when I tried to listen to radio).

Has anyone went thru similar issue and how did you replace yours? I cannot just screw a new one in because original base is stuck in the screw base, and can't get it out.

I went to Dodge, and they said I have to replace the entire assembly, and takes about 3 hours labor....

Any help would be appreciated!
I would get an easy-out tool and drill small a hole in the piece that is remaining in your antenna base the correct size for the easy-out tool and remove the broken piece, then put your oem antenna back on. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel your pain. Lucky you don't have a Ford - somewhere on the net I saw where a guy went through a car wash in his Ford with the new aluminum body. It ripped his antenna out and the loose antenna just beat the heck out of the side of his truck. $6,000 damage. Yes try the easy-out might work, worth a try.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Another fine example of a job I wouldn't trust to a dealer, but would rather reach out to a community such as ours to find the best solution.

Well done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks guys. Good news, I use the easy-out tool and got the bit out. Saved me so much time and hassle by replacing the whole thing, thank you!
You are welcome. I use these at work at times when I have a broken off bolt in a machine I need to remove.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the forums are awesome. Soon as the deal told me 3 hours labor, it was just red alert all over, and the funny thing was the guy wasn't even interested anymore when he saw my reaction that he knew I would be going somewhere else. oh how their attitude changed so fast.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes, the forums are awesome. Soon as the deal told me 3 hours labor, it was just red alert all over, and the funny thing was the guy wasn't even interested anymore when he saw my reaction that he knew I would be going somewhere else. oh how their attitude changed so fast.
The funny part is that the dealer may have really thought it was going to take 3 hours, but the mechanic in back would likely have done the same thing you did, in 2 minutes. There are bit sets to do this with a power driver that can pull out screws that size in seconds. Then the service manager would have had to decide whether to charge the 3 hours quoted, or their half-hour minimum, or let you go with no charge. They do have costs to run the shop, so a minimum charge is understandable although expensive for something like this.

BTW, if you don't have one of these sets, I suggest you buy one. They're cheap, and work in power drivers of just about any size. You can find them on sale for $6-7 US. They don't allow as much torque as heavier-duty easy outs but for stuff like an antenna that doesn't really matter. These are just a lot quicker for low-torque applications. They won't replace the heavier duty stuff. I carry a set in my power driver bit box.

Each bit has a drill tip on one end and the extractor on the other end. Use the drill end first. Flip the bit, push hard, and pull trigger. Done.

Ontel Speed Out Speed Out Screw Extractor (4-Piece)-1000264 - The Home Depot

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I too have a stubby and sometimes find myself going through the automatic car wash. I will need to start unscrewing the antenna from the base when I run it through the wash.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I won't run mine through a contact-wash. If it's not contactless (spray only) then I'll wash it myself. A lot of those contact washes get grit in the cleaning material which then gets dragged across your paint, putting fine, and sometimes not so fine scratches in it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting this. I too have a stubby and sometimes find myself going through the automatic car wash. I will need to start unscrewing the antenna from the base when I run it through the wash.
just go to those touchless car washes. I have a season pass and usually go to my regular location, but I went to a different one and usually I can select soft cloth or touch less, but was too late when I realized that only soft cloth was available....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts