Ram Rebel Forum banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited with air suspension and experienced no issues the first winter. The second winter I would get the odd Service Air Suspension Immediately message but it would go away. The last couple of winters the front would lower to the bump stop overnight and not raise in the morning and throw messages and blow the compressor fuse. Sometimes it would even lower in the time I was shopping or getting groceries. Numerous trips to the dealer provided the same results as everyone else on the forum. I used the fuse pulling method for a while, but in -20 or more weather that is a pain. I experimented with putting the suspension in Tire Jack Mode when I parked it and voila! The front no longer lowered. I've left it for 3 days in -20 weather in Tire Jack Mode and no lowering and no messages on start up and driving. I've not had a fuse blow since trying this either.
This leads me to believe, with my truck at least, there is an issue with the distribution valve rather than a leak somewhere in the system. Probably due to the moisture in the system freezing the valve in single position. At one time I heard the system take a deep breath and draw in outside air. Probably has happened several times, but I only witnessed it once.
It has now become habit when the temperature is below freezing to put the truck in Tire Jack Mode every time before I shut it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I discovered a trick recently for those who don't have access to a garage to warm up their truck. We have been facing a cold snap in Alberta and I am working on a rig in the middle of nowhere. Go figure after working a shift my truck was down to its bumpstops on all 4 corners. In the past usually I just have to replace the fuse to get it working again. It looks like this isn't the case when its especially cold. I was seeing new errors aside from the typical "service air suspension immediately". This time on top of that error I was seeing the error "Selected ride height not permitted due to payload". Anyways, to get it back to normal I took a $30 space heater from Crappy Tire and set it on top of the underside of a 6 gal bucket where my compressor is. Left that on overnight and my suspension went back to normal the next day. Just a little tip for those who are stuck with this issue in a remote area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a trick to try that worked for me. My air ride was on the bump stops, first I try turning the truck off wait 30 seconds and try again. Did this 3 times and did not work, you can see it's trying to raise but can't then after a minute or less it says service air suspension. I knew it the suspension was really frozen due to all the ices and snow in my wheel wheels. So this is what I tried, again shut off the truck and opened the door and waited 30 seconds or so. This time I started the truck and instantaneously put it into drive and drove on some bumps and voila the air suspension went up to normal height. My theory is that when things are really frozen up and cold, the compressor isn't strong enough to lift, but if your driving while it's trying to lift and going over some bumps it gives it a little help to get things moving. What's key here is to put it in drive and go as quick as possible after start, you need to beat the service air suspension warning or the compressor won't attempt to pump air. This has now worked a few times for me, just make sure your fuse is not blown prior to trying this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update.

The truck has been riding a little bouncy since getting it back from the dealership a couple of weeks ago. Then Friday 03/01 I noticed the drivers side was close to 2" lower then the passenger side. Coming home that same day the suspension got noticeably more bouncy. I also received service suspension, service electronic breaks, and service trailer brake system warning lights. I didn't drive the truck Saturday or Sunday. Today the errors eventually went away but now 3 of the 4 bags are riding on the frame.

Called the manager of the service department. Told him swapping the suspension for coils was possible. He finally admitted that it was. But since they were a dealership they were committed to get the track back to factory spec. They would not put springs in it. Since i'm out of warranty, but they are still paying, I feel my hands are tide a little bit. I drop the truck off tomorrow morning for further repairs. The only thing left to replace is the other 3 airbags and the lines.

I'm suppose to get a quote from a local suspension shop sometime this week that said they'd do it. Hopefully it's nothing too outrageous for price. If I were to swap the suspension and get a small lift. Any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy or too expensive. Something that would lift it a tiny bit but not sacrifice towing/payload ability. I was considering having them put on the Outdoors man springs. This is a 2014 Laramie. Not the rebel fyi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a terrible problem to have everyone. It would be great for the dealership to come up with a solution here.... I have not complained to much yet. But I have a solution that (knock on wood), seems to be working over the last few very cold days. I pulled the passenger side tail light, there is a filter on the suction line. I spliced in a T and bought a little hose and a brass ball valve. Ran it through a hole in the box and used a mag buddy and zip tie to hold the valve in place under the box rail. Removed the valve handle to keep it hidden. Now I can dump isopropyl in to the compressor suction. I might not do this if I had warranty but..... I do not. I was gonna try a battery blanket trick I seen on YouTube but I will try this for now. Also I was under the impression that it was a nitrogen system. But after looking closer underneath I would say there is no way! Maybe 70 percent nitrogen 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a terrible problem to have everyone. It would be great for the dealership to come up with a solution here.... I have not complained to much yet. But I have a solution that (knock on wood), seems to be working over the last few very cold days. I pulled the passenger side tail light, there is a filter on the suction line. I spliced in a T and bought a little hose and a brass ball valve. Ran it through a hole in the box and used a mag buddy and zip tie to hold the valve in place under the box rail. Removed the valve handle to keep it hidden. Now I can dump isopropyl in to the compressor suction. I might not do this if I had warranty but..... I do not. I was gonna try a battery blanket trick I seen on YouTube but I will try this for now. Also I was under the impression that it was a nitrogen system. But after looking closer underneath I would say there is no way! Maybe 70 percent nitrogen 🙂
Hey Blaine, Just curious how far passed your warranty you are. I ran out in January and I didn't get the impression from the service manager in my home town that they would eat any of the cost for any further repairs. Even though I had the truck in last year for the same problem. Are you in Canada?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Ryno, I am in Canada. I haven’t talked to the dealer to much about it. They pissed me off because I took it in for a service and told them about what was happening, and following that I said once it warms up in your shop it will work fine I’m sure, but they proceeded to charge me 80 bucks for checking mass flow and all this other garbage they made up and said it works fine. Haven’t been in to bug them yet. But I am at 80,000 km and bought it in 2015. I have been planning to go see the service manager and complain a bit though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Ryno, I am in Canada. I haven’t talked to the dealer to much about it. They pissed me off because I took it in for a service and told them about what was happening, and following that I said once it warms up in your shop it will work fine I’m sure, but they proceeded to charge me 80 bucks for checking mass flow and all this other garbage they made up and said it works fine. Haven’t been in to bug them yet. But I am at 80,000 km and bought it in 2015. I have been planning to go see the service manager and complain a bit though.
Yup. That's all they did with mine too in Okotoks. Heated it up, disabled Aero mode and told me its fine now. Meanwhile here I am on my lease site in the rockies with all 4 corners down to the bump stops. Unless i keep a space heater pointed at the compressor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone think this is something we could start a class action lawsuit for?
I think a case could definitely be built. Considering the amount of consumers that have been affected, the neglect from Dodge, and the fact that it directly affects the drivers safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Vader and others for all the information. I am from Manitoba and I just bought a 2017 Rebel with 26,000km delivered from a dealer 7 hours away. I specifically asked about the air suspension, as I had owned other vehicles in the past with "load levelling" systems that caused problems. I was assured by the sales manager that there were no problems with these vehicles LOL!!
Now with -30 to -40 CI am experiencing the same problems as most everyone else.

The principals at the dealership have so far only offered extended warranty, discounted from $4500 to $3900 and finally $2300. saying that is far below their cost. Any comments on whether this is an actual fact? It is a Chrysler factory warranty, 7 year, 110,000 km 0$ deduct

I have started a file with FCA with no apparent results.
Also I have opened a file with Transport Canada. They claimed 27 reports, with no accidents and the problem only occurs in cold weather, so just slow down when you lose your suspension. I won't go any further into that discussion here! Comments/questions welcome.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, it's unfortunate that this is still happening to new owners. You really only have one option, request a discount on a coil conversion from FCA... then go see the team at Waverley Dodge in Winnipeg to have the work done. They've done a few successfully that I know of. Shouldn't cost more than $2000 and then you won't need the extended warranty. Save a few dollars.

Any dealer will tell you what you need to hear to make the sale... it's pathetic, but normal.

·
Registered
451 Posts
After a few winters, Dave, the temps aren't the issue as much. You could be in for a surprise in 5 years. It's not an exact science yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would be great if everyone got organized in some fashion across multiple forums. I noticed this Facebook group. Maybe we could get the word out and have everyone join this group that way were all in one spot. There's a person on there wanting to submit a class action lawsuit and is asking for names.

FCA RAM pickup AIR Suspension Failures
https://www.facebook.com/groups/292298311479202/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Update

Dropped truck off again on 03/05/19. They informed me they found a leak in the rear drivers side airbag. They didn't have the part in stock and it would take 5 business days to get it. Got a loaner vehicle in the meantime. Yesterday 03/12/19 I picked up my truck. So far so good. I think I'll more then likely be problem free till next winter now that the temps are warming up. The dealership did state all their parts have a 2 year warranty. So I need to go through all my receipts and make sure that's listed.

I'll probably end up riding out the parts warranty since 90% of the system has been replaced. Once I have to start forking out dough though I'll just swap out the air suspension for coils.

In review this winter they've replaced the compressor, air suspension module, a fitting, both rear airbags, and did a software upgrade last year. The only thing left too replace is the 2 front airbags which more then likely will go out next winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with Air Ride. First year no problems, every year since in coldest weather truck suspension acted up, always took to selling dealership never had to replace any parts as once they warmed it system passed all inspections. This last Feb. was coldest in Alberta Canada in 40 years. Started looking for other solutions, found references to a Edmonton dealership that was trying something. They have been emptying system, adding Brake Line Antfreeze to each air bag and then refilling system with nitrogen.
They say they have not had any come back complaints, they have had customers come in and say do it again.... at $335.00 Canadian it is a cheap insurance policy. Just had it done to my Ram, so will see how it goes. Service advisor said it was okay to pass on their contact info. Londonderry Dodge in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Service advisor name is Darrel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 limited longhorn edition. I am in North Dakota. Today was the 4th time it’s been in this winter. All 3 times previous we have had blown fuse and 3 error messages: air suspension, ABS , traction and trailer brake system. All 3 times they warmed up and sent us on our way, but this entire winter there has been no suspension working and I haven’t been able to either use or ride in it because of back problems. Each time fuses are replaced and the vehicle is warmed by service but before we get home all messages go off again. Today service called said the fuse was blown again but that the compressor was now bad. He specifically told me that this is a terrible system and that dodge is aware of it but that there’s nothing that they can do because it’s just a bad design. Now I’m paying another 100 Ded to replace the compressor!

If anyone goes into a lawsuit please let me know. No one in sales warned us and each time I have taken this vehicle in they’ve had at least 3 or 4 other trucks with air suspension in there as well. We just bought this summer and now we feel stuck with a vehicle that will never work in North Dakota!!!

201 - 220 of 234 Posts