Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that I may have an air leak as my new (1050 miles) 2017 Rebel will add a every 20 to 30 minutes while setting in the driveway. I wanted to ask if your all seeing similar or if this is an unusual and unexpected situation?

While setting on my blacktop drive, you will hear the pump kick on for 3 to 5 seconds, this repeats each 20 minutes or so.

Let me know if your seeing a similar occurrence, or if I have an issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've seen mine do it an hour after I parked it. I wonder sometimes if it's because one side is sitting in the sun and the tires on that side are warming up more - slightly increased pressure causing that side of the truck to raise imperceptibly to me, but enough for the system to notice? Or perhaps because I drove it within the last hour, and the tires were warmed up, but then those out of the sun cooled off and that side settled a little bit?

I only suspect those because it never seems to happen when the truck's been sitting more than a couple of hours, although it could be because I'm not there watching! (Is the dog still barking if no one is there to hear him? :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine does it all the time, wouldn't worry about it. If you had a leak, you'd eventually run out. It's a closed system and cannot produce its own "air." Just adds it to the bags or takes it away into a holding tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have caught mine doing the same a few times but have never had to return to dealer for nitrogen.
Mine does it all the time, wouldn't worry about it. If you had a leak, you'd eventually run out. It's a closed system and cannot produce its own "air." Just adds it to the bags or takes it away into a holding tank.
Ewww.... I don't like that. I thought it had a compressor and added/removed air as needed. I don't enjoy the concept of a proprietary sealed system that if fails is a dealer only kind of repair.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ewww.... I don't like that. I thought it had a compressor and added/removed air as needed. I don't enjoy the concept of a proprietary sealed system that if fails is a dealer only kind of repair.
It's not a dealer-only repair. But it is expensive.

You do need a closed system, though. Otherwise, water (moisture) gets sucked in, pools, and causes internal rust and freezing where you don't want it.

IMO a warranty repair with the dealer is better than paying for one. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's stated in the manual

I'm thinking that I may have an air leak as my new (1050 miles) 2017 Rebel will add a every 20 to 30 minutes while setting in the driveway. I wanted to ask if your all seeing similar or if this is an unusual and unexpected situation?

While setting on my blacktop drive, you will hear the pump kick on for 3 to 5 seconds, this repeats each 20 minutes or so.

Let me know if your seeing a similar occurrence, or if I have an issue. Thank you.
Hello everyone.. new to the Forum. I read somewhere in the manual that it will randomly adjust the suspension when parked to improve aesthetics. It wants to look cool... haha. **** truck is self conscious.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hello everyone.. new to the Forum. I read somewhere in the manual that it will randomly adjust the suspension when parked to improve aesthetics. It wants to look cool... haha. **** truck is self conscious.
Yeah it does! Also, when the truck is parked off and locked up, the air suspension will adjust for load as well. Found this out when I cut down a tree. Parked the truck in the front yard and loaded it throughout the afternoon. As I would load up the trailer and bed of the truck, the self leveling would auto adjust for the weight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I first noticed it when I was installing my tonneau cover. I climbed into the bed of the truck and the compressor started up. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not so I climbed into my girlfriend's Rebel (she bought hers a week after I bought mine) and it did the same thing. It's kinda cool having a "spare" Rebel. If I see something strange with mine I can see if hers does the same thing. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes there's no air tank so the pressure is always on the pump so it slowly leaks but it's normal and when u put any weight in it it auto levels

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a Grand Cherokee before this, with air suspension. It was always moving itself around, just like my Rebel does. I believe there's something in the manual about this, that it does this so it sits pretty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes there's no air tank so the pressure is always on the pump so it slowly leaks but it's normal and when u put any weight in it it auto levels
Yes, there is a dual air tank in the rear of the truck. It sits across the frame, side to side. It's blue in this diagram. The diagram comes from this page.

It doesn't hold air, though, it holds pure nitrogen. The whole system is a sealed system.

Slight changes in level, such as parking on a minimal grade, a sloping driveway, or even with one wheel slightly down can result in an automatic leveling process. And changing bed load by throwing or removing 50 lbs of weight is often enough to cause leveling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts